[split] Portable Washing Machine and Dishwasher

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering when someone would bring up a wash board. Now we just need someone that uses rocks and chews out the stains.

I can't remember when I had enough dishes or cook pans to need a dishwasher.
Wash undies? Walmart undies, too cheap to launder.

Aww, Jim, you take the fun out of things. I used to watch my grandmother use a wringer washer, so a washboard isn't much more primitive. I've used one and plan on using it again. They work pretty well. Besides, your fingernails get really clean.
Ted

Itripper said:
I have used these in the Philippines, they work extremely well. Low water use, minimal space, great workout!
[img=320x240]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61Rcea-a1rL._SL1280_.jpg[/img]
41IUBB6x4YL._AC_US218_.jpg
Do you know where one can buy the washboard?

I have seen the washboards for sale in the smaller town hardware stores. I am sure you can find them on the net. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I have seen the washboards for sale in the smaller town hardware stores.  I am sure you can find them on the net.  highdesertranger

Lehman's, the famous Amish store, has tons of different washboards.
https://www.lehmans.com/

waldenbound said:
Lehman's, the famous Amish store, has tons of different washboards.
https://www.lehmans.com/

Folks, washboards were used in times when most clothing was home spun & nothing like clothing worn today.
Washboards do indeed get clothes clean, BUT scrubbing cloth breaks the fibers & will shorten the useful life
of your clothes. 

Unless you work in a coal mine, better a 5 gallon bucket & a toilet plunger, a system I've used on the road for decades.

Lehman's sells a nifty specialty plunger.  Light weight, easy to store, & does an amazing job.  Less effort, too.

rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

sometimesido said:
Which one do you recommend?
metal one ?  or plastic ?

I've got plastic, cheaper & lighter.  Both work well I am sure.  Don't leave plastic plunger out in the sun &
it will last longer.   If I've got dainty things I wash them first, set aside, then use same soapy water for other
clothes.  Then rinse.  This saves soap & water.

Plunge in!
Charlotte

jimindenver said:
I was wondering when someone would bring up a wash board.   Now we just need someone that uses rocks and chews out the stains.

What a hoot!  In my book, your sense of humor gets high marks...

rolleyes.gif
Charlotte

I used a washboard as a child. Never Again

A bucket with a top and a hole in the top. Then I put a new plunger through the hole. Little water and washes great. Just more work which is fine with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txjaybird said:
I like the looks of the 2nd one.  Does it need to have a dedicated water source or can it be filled by hand or with a hose as needed?

The 2nd one you mentioned is common in apartments where there is no W/D hookup. You can fill it with a water source (hook the provided hose up to a faucet) or fill it by hand (with a hose or a bucket). The water you use depend on how much stuff you are washing. You decide how much water it will have basically. Panda brand is one of the best rated ones and it comes in various capacity/size models. Spinner dryer does a decent job, with the exception of towels.

I wash dishes and I'm portable.  I guess that makes me a portable dishwasher?

As for laundry, I save all my quarters because I am NOT gonna hand wash if I can avoid it.  Been there, done that and hopefully never again.

Hey! I have Fels Naptha!! Good stuff :)

... put ur washed veggies in a cloth mesh veggie bag and stick them in the spin cycle!

Dual use = Van worthy!!

I wonder how much solar power this would use??? :D

mod edit, the above video is a electronic washboard as an musical instrument.