Specifically: how many clothing items?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeiraNomadRN

Reaction score
Hi All!

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm sure it varies dramatically, but [/font]I would be curious to know exactly how much clothing y'all bring along in nomad life . . . I'm wanting to pare down my stuff but I keep getting caught up in the idea of being prepared for any eventuality.  Help!

How many:
socks
underwear
pants
shirts
shoes

Thanks!

This will be different for everyone.

How long between visits to the laundromat?
How much space are you willing to dedicate to clothing?
Shoes? Personal choice. I have house shoes, tennis shoes and hiking boots.

I can go a little over two weeks without laundry but I am set up to boondock for two weeks at a time too. My problem is I carry too many coats.

Trying to be prepared for any eventuality is a trap many of us fall into during the early days, and you can’t truly anticipate every possible situation.

I’ve spent as much time ridding out as packing carefully, is the truth.

Plan for layers, taking only a few really heavy items for cold weather, and don’t be afraid to wear your clothing more than once before washing.

I am a big fan of microfleece, which is inexpensive and can get you thru cold nights and days.

How often you want to do laundry, if you are full time rather than part time, and how much room you have are biggies.

Less is best, generally, in my opinion.

I like to be able to go as long as three weeks without a resupply and laundromat trip. I change underwear, socks, and t-shirts most every day, pants every other.

This works out to a wash load each of socks/underwear, hots, and colored warms.

Shoes are a pain to store. I have one pair of very heavy duty boots and two pairs of sandals.

Coats can be stored over the back of your passenger seat.

Find some clothes made for travelers that are easy to wash in a hotel sink and then hang up to dry in a hotel bathroom. That way you can do a bucket wash if needed and you never be without clean clothes. All your wardrobe does not have to be that type of clothing, you only need a pair and a spare for those times when you can't get to a coin op laundry. Fortunately they are also easy to pack without taking up a lot of space.

Clothes that take up a lot of space and are difficult to bucket wash are heavy clothes such a denim jeans. A lot of clothes do not take well to line drying without wrinkles. Many wash and dry clothes work nicely in a tumble dryer but would need ironing if dried on a clothes line. So shop specifically for traveler's clothing until you figure out what fabrics are good for line drying without a lot of wrinkles.

Specifically?

6 jeans
1 chinos
3 shorts
6 long-sleeve tees
6 short-sleeve tees
1 flannel shirt
3 button-up shirts
2 Hawaiian shirts
1 sweatpants
12 underwear
12 pair socks
1 fleece pullover
1 down vest
2 pair gloves (1 fleece, 1 fleece & leather)
2 knit caps (1 wool, 1 synthetic)
3 ball caps
1 stingy brim hat
1 pair hiking shoes
1 pair semi-sandals
2 pair sneakers
1 pair Crocs
2 belts

Basically, warm weather wear and not-so-warm weather wear. I could still use a rain-repellent shell of some kind, or just avoid the PNW.

I replaced my entire wardrobe over the past couple of months because I lost 75 pounds during throat cancer treatment. I went from 38" waist to 32", XXL tees to M ones.

I do laundry every couple of weeks.

I agree with many of the others about gauging it by laundry days. If you plan to move every 2 weeks, then bring just what you need for 2, 4 or 6 weeks, you choose. Practice at home now, layout your best guess and experiment. Four weeks seems manageable unless you need a different "outfit" every day.

Of course much depends on how messy of a person you are :) I am always spilling stuff or doing projects that get my clothes dirty.

I really should get a pair of light weight coveralls and an apron to travel with...and make sure I take the time to use them.

Whatever clothing you decide to choose, think about laundry day.  My clothes are all in similar colors, black, gray, tan.  Everything, including linens can go in the same load without color sorting.  Gets my goat to have just a few whites and to pay for an extra washer and dryer for those few things.  Another advantage is they all mix and match.

Pants pockets are imperative for me.  I don't carry a purse anymore.  Women's pants pockets are useless so I found men's pants that fit.  They are better made, more durable, and cheaper.

MrNoodly said:
...I could still use a rain-repellent shell of some kind...

So, I walk into Target this morning, and there among the clearance items was just the type of shell I've been thinking about. Wardrobe now complete.

On laundry day, take inventory of what is still clean, and get rid of it. Recomended method is "if not worn in 90 days," but how do you keep track of that?  Often laundromats have a lost and found bin that could be used for your contributions, or drop off at the nearest thrift store without picking anything up.   -crofter

I’m not fulltime, but generally head out during the summer months.  Last year I went to Alaska and didn’t return until late Sept. and the weather had already turned so that mornings were well below freezing.  So I think this would be what I generally would take even if I were fulltiming.  

3 pair jeans
3 pair shorts
10 pair underware
10 pair socks
8 pair short sleeve knit shirts
1 light weight jacket
1 hoodie
1 knit cap
1 sunshade hat
2 pair shoes (one is hiking boots)
1 pair gloves.   

I generally would do laundry once a week.  I didn’t take any long sleeve shirts but would instead layer my shirts.  When it was more cold, I would wear short sleeve shirt + hoodie + jacket.

Hello - When I was out full time my clothing requirements varied on how much I was around people. Sounds gross but its the truth. Also with camp fires burning most of the day I smell more like smoke than anything else. Now the reality is (this is also gross) I have a medical problem I have to carry a lot more clothes than I used to. [no details given ;)] I have rented a small storage locker near my soon to be home base (east KY mountains) where I can store off season and extra clothes. Also some things like extra water, food, some dry fire wood, and tarps. It's only a 5 x 5 and very cheap rent but it will help with van clutter when I am in the area (within 40 miles usually).

I hand wash socks, undies and T shirts. Pants are lightweight sweats and two pairs of jeans. The jeans, sweats, sheets, towels, sleeping bag, blanket go to laundry mat.

When I was on the road in a truck I carried a very small washer. It's the size of a three gal bucket. It does everything except overalls and coats . Its electric. I used it in motel rooms over the weekend. If you have excess water it's no problem in camp. I used to place it in the bath tub after my own shower
And use it. It's an on going thing though not like a laundry mat.

nature lover said:
I have rented a small storage locker near my soon to be home base (east KY mountains) where I can store off season and extra clothes. Also some things like extra water, food, some dry fire wood, and tarps. It's only a 5 x 5 and very cheap rent but it will help with van clutter when I am in the area (within 40 miles usually).

^^^ This.

I did this when nomadding around Az. I had a 4x4x4 locker, I think it was $15/mo. Id store seasonal stuff, tools, whatever I felt the desire to have but not need with me full time. It worked out well. It was located in a spot I could access it without it being visible to anyone else while I was dragging stuff out to get what I needed or put stuff away.

Wow people have a lot of stuff!!! I feel bad because I accumulated so much cold-weather gear this winter and I really prefer a more minimalist wardrobe. I can only carry so much! But then also going too minimalist has been a problem because I have skin sensitivities and if I don't wash my clothes frequently I get rashes. I have a Scrubba wash bag so I can easily hand wash stuff as often as I need. Worth the investment! I can't wait to switch out to some lighter summer clothes and give away the old stuff.

I have:
2 base layer pants
2 top layer pants
1 pajama/gym pants, 1 pajama shirt
3 t-shirts
3 thermal shirts
1 plaid flannel
1 henley shirt
4 pairs socks
1 sandals
1 sneakers
3 indian sarees, 1 underskirt, 1 choli blouse
2 indian kurtis
2 dresses for "going in to town"
5 underwears, 3 bras
1 all season coat
2 scarves
1 beanie hat
1 crochet headband/ear warmer

I think what clothes you carry will also depend what climate you live in. If I'm on the South Coast I may only carry Several T shirts, Several pairs of shorts and a hoodie and call it good to go.

Realize I'm from Vermont and I wear Cargo Shirts, a T shirt and a Hoody most of the year with a pair of Crocs. At night I wear a T shirt and either a light pair of shorts or a pair of lounge pants. You know the I'm going to Walmart Outfit.

That's not to say I dont have a lot of other clothes but that's what I wear. pretty much. I have literally dressers and totes full of clothes. I never wear socks, I have like 2 dozen pair in my dresser.

I have recently gotten ready to do a bike packing trip and perhaps the list I have for that may help. For Van Life the amount of clothes I will carry would just increase but I don't think what I carry will change just that I may carry more of an item.

I will mark items that I added just for Van Life with an * I wouldnt of carried these bike packing.
I will mark items I increased the number I'm carrying of for Van Life with a ^

3 pairs of athletic socks - I wear these with my Velcro Sneakers when I ride my bike
2 Pair of Wool Socks - keep my feet warm at night for the best warmth from socks make sure they are loose fitting 
(snap elastic stitching if you need to if they are tight you will have cold feet)
Merino Wool Base Layer Bottoms - for cold weather
Merino Wool Base Layer Top - for cold weather
2 Merino Wool Buffs
1 Wool Glove Liners - Same for gloves as with the socks they need to be loose especially around the wrists 
(snap elastic stitches if you need to tight items restrict blood flow and can make your extremities feel extremely cold very quickly)
1 Split Leather Work Gloves - These fit over my Wool Glove Liners
1 Crocheted Wool Beanie/Took/Watch Cap whatever you choose to call it
2 Active wear T shirts
3 Cotton T shirts^
1 Long Sleeve T shirt*
1 Fleece Pullover
1 Hooded Pullover Rain Jacket/ Windbreaker
2 Cotton Hoodies^
1 Swim Trunks
2 Active Wear Shorts - I use these to ride my bike they are nothing fancy just some basket ball shorts or soccer shorts
2 Ripstop Cargo Shorts^
2 Denim Cargo Shorts*
1 Pair of Crocs* - I prefer Crocs over Sandals. The flat sandals can really cause foot issues for me. No issues with the curve of Crocs
1 Pair of Velcro Sneakers - I use these to ride my bike, no laces to get tangled
1 Pair of Trail Runners - These are just light weight sneakers with really awesome tread for traction when hiking
2 Button Down Flannel Shirts^
2 Button Down Camp Shirts*
1 Sun Hat with a wide brim all the way around

OPTIONAL ITEMS* - these would depend on your personality if you go out dancing or what not. Not my style but each there own.
Khakis
Polo
Belt
Sports Coat
Dress Shoes
Dress Socks

If I knew I was going to be in very cold snowy climate I would also bring my Pack Boots and a Heavy Winter Coat. Most likely I would not bring these though. If plans changed I'd have a relative ship them to me.

Majority of my clothes fit in 2-3 32 quart Sterilite containers I can fit under my bed. Some things live in my hiking pack like the Fleece Pullover, Windbreaker, Wool Glove Liners, Split Leather Gloves, Crocheted Wool Cap, 2 Buffs.

Shoes have there own place under a seat. I would hang the Hoody and Flannel Shirt I have in rotation on the back of a seat.

Current bed clothes would be under my pillow on my bed.

I have a very large Towel for Showering that hangs on a bungee from the ceiling. 

I have a TO GO! BAG this has wet wipes and hand sanitizer and toilet paper in it, along with Soap, Razor, Toothbrush etc.. The idea is if I'm going to go in to take a shower I can just stuff the towel in the bag and be ready to go do that. Otherwise it's always ready for when Ya Need TO GO! If you know what I mean.

Latest posts