Spare Tire Storage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a 1-ton truck and adding a slide-in camper. As an alternative to conventional storage of the spare tire under the bed, I am thinking of 2 alternatives. Please give your opinions regarding these options:

1. Placing the spare tire in a front-mounted tire carrier. I wonder if this setup would interfere with the efficiency of the radiator. What brand of front-mounted tire carrier is recommended?

2. Removing the back seat and securely bolting the spare tire to the back wall of the cab. Has anyone done this?

I have a front mounted spare on my van. I like it there as it is out of the way and easily accessible if needed. I have one of these Reese mounts: https://www.zoro.com/reese-front-re...dd_enQ6ZlVChcUi8UNMN5phJkif0rgigaAvuFEALw_wcB

I haven't noticed my van running any warmer (even in the heat) because of it but I don't drive 70+ MPH either (usually 60-65). I like that it is easy to check the air pressure on and I give it a good thump every time I fill up. The one drawback of front mounting is it makes accessing part of the underhood area tougher. If you need to get that deep in the engine bay, removing the tire goes fairly quickly. I don't have any trouble checking fluids or washing the windshield.

One question: can you lift a wheel/tire up high enough to put it on a front mount or in the back of your truck?

I’d go with a front mount. Having said that, I can’t remember when I last swapped out a flat, but I have plugged several while the tire was still on the vehicle. Consider adding a tire plug kit and a 12vdc compressor to your tool stash.

^^ Yep.
I never had a spare with this 1 ton GMC.
I do have a very good 120 PSI 120V air compressor and a couple different plug kits and a hydraulic jack w/blocks, which I would always carry even with a spare so...
And yes, lifting an 8 lug tire may be a bit much for one person.

LoupGarou said:
...but I have plugged several...

Whereas the three times I've had flats, they started while driving and I didn't know anything was wrong until I had already destroyed the sidewalls. Patch kits don't work in those situations.

A good reminder to check tires before getting underway.  I've been fortunate that I haven't lost any tires to flats but I did have a blowout on a motorcycle once at 85 that left a good impression on me.

This may be wise. Having the tire underneath is out of site and out of mind which could lead to out of air... I went to use the spare in my old plow truck... I live in the snow... haha! The wheel was totally rusted out and the system holding it in place also. Luckily I had better options.
I like either of your ideas... security would be my concern with it in front!

A chain and a padlock if your paranoid. With the modern battery operated tools, even the ones underneath are not safe from theft. Mine is on the front and not locked. A ratchet and socket is all it would take to get it off. It is a good tire with an aluminum rim too. I had to change a tire on my way to canada. Having it on the front sure made easy work of the swap. No crawling on the ground to drag it out and put the other one back. Real easy to check the pressure when you are checking the others as you walk right by it.

Front or back on the roof all good options wherever you have room, I have barn doors on the back initially installed it there but I also have a motor bike rack so tire was in the way installed on the front bumper with a home made rack that I welded together. I was concerned about the rad as well but have not had an issue and I have two other small plates each side of my grill as an air dam to stop some air from going through into engine compartment as an aero dynamic feature as well as a lower air dam under the bumper to prevent more air and still have no issues. Maybe if I drove on extremely hot days I might have a bit of an issue but it s been there for almost a decade with no issues. I tried it on the roof but like you it is an 8 lug wheel so a bit heavy to go up and down and it is also an aero problem up there.

My truck has the spare on the front and in the 19 years I have owned the truck it has never overheated.  It didn't overheat when I was racing at nearly 100 mph in Eastern Oregon when my newborn grandson was lifeflighted to Boise Idaho.  200 + miles of open road and I had a huge 12 ft camper on the bed. On the other hand I have hit two deer in passenger car and small pickup with serious damage.  I call the front tire my deer insurance.

outermostsoul said:
My truck has the spare on the front and in the 19 years I have owned the truck it has never overheated.  It didn't overheat when I was racing at nearly 100 mph in Eastern Oregon when my newborn grandson was lifeflighted to Boise Idaho.  200 + miles of open road and I had a huge 12 ft camper on the bed. 

I hope your grandson was ok. My son had to do something similar when my grandson had to be life flight to Seattle from tri cities. About 200 miles.

I have a one-ton truck and slide in camper. I keep the spare tire in its original storage location under the bed. I am not concerned about theft of the spare tire (touch wood). In fact, I removed the spare tire lock and key (Ford) so that I do not need to worry about it if I ever need to lower the spare. If someone wants my spare tire badly enough that they want to go through the PITA process of getting it out, I applaud them and they can have my tire.

My spare tire is stock, but the four tires on my wheels are larger than stock. I bought the truck this way. If I ever need to put the spare on, I can only put it on one of the front wheels since it is smaller than the stock wheels (so as not to destroy the rear axle), and then I could only limp at a very slow speed. I cannot replace the spare with the same, larger size tire as the four on the wheels because it wouldn't fit. The four tires are very good and practically new, so I am not replacing them with stock tires for now.

I am not interested in carrying a spare anywhere else. I do not want to block the front of my truck, there is no room in my truck's cab, there is no room on the roof, and there is no room on the back.

I have a good, solid jack that I know how to use safely. That is necessary because the truck and camper combo is very heavy, and I am not as well-serviced by the jack that came with the truck. I have a tire repair kit, too, but I can tell you that I hope to never use it. Plugging even a thin, compact car tire can be a bear, never mind a massive, thick, heavy-treaded 18" AT E-rated truck tire. And as someone mentioned above, that's only for holes punched in the treads, not the sidewalls.

Bottom line is that I want to avoid flats and blowouts, so I am careful about where I am driving, and I am fastidious about checking/maintaining tire pressure (I have good gauges and an air compressor onboard). If I ever get a flat, I will definitely first try to reach roadside assistance (I have two separate services). My tire repair kit and spare are truly for emergencies only when I absolutely need to move away from my current location and have absolutely no way to reach roadside assistance. For me, that's a PITA operation that involves jacking up a very heavy vehicle, possibly under iffy circumstances (unstable/uneven ground, sand, etc.), possibly in the dark, etc. I am lazy and not mechanically-inclined, so I'll avoid that scenario if at all possible. I can do it, but it would not be pleasant or easy.