Source for OEM van/truck conversion parts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
This is the THING  shorts in the dash/turn signals, & radio display of my van.   If you haven't read my Captains Log......several mos. ago I got a 1998 GMC Hightop Conversion Van from my Mom who purchased it new.  

The conversion was done by Glaval, they no longer do vans.  They now do bus conversions and Forest River Class C motor homes.  Glaval did van conversions for GM, FORD, & CHRYSLER.  The conversion models were GLADIATOR, UNIVERSAL,  AUTO FORM, & PRIMETIME. 

My mechanic has traced and tagged wires. and yesterday plugged in some kind of thing-a-majig {yeah I speak shop :D } from GM that promptly shorted out and burnt up.  He said if he only had a wiring schematic it would be great.

Today I called Glaval and was given 2 leads on conversion parts and was also told that with Glaval the conversion DID NOT INTERFERE WITH THE ORIGINAL GMC  VAN WIRING SYSTEMS. So I'm thinking this info might apply to other conversions so that is the reason I'm posting this here.  Maybe this info will help someone else.

Parkin Accesory, Elkhart IN.  800-637-8938  
The guy I spoke with said I needed WF7 upfitters package OEM wiring.  so the wf7 maybe only for gmc?  at least now I learned a new term "upfitters package".  They have a bunch of different parts...windows seem to be hot item. Also RV stuff
Lon my mechanic seemed surprised I'd gotten this info.  Hey I did skip tracing for a jewelry store in '71 & '72...no internet.....just a landline.

The other company was Conversion Parts Center  Elkhart IN 800-348-3708
They too seem to have a lot of parts for RV's & conversions.  I think they also have Truck conversion parts.  I'm not sure about that.

Both the 800 #s were given me by a Glaval rep.  I did not notice them when I googled the 2 web sites.

Jewellann

:)  Spoke with Lon at the shop.  He called the contact above, I believe it was Parkin Accessory .  He was given a web link and was able to print out the elec. schematic he needed.  Safari goes back next week.

Seems I remember seeing other vehicles here with system shorts.  Not all GMCs?  I've even contacted 2 GMC dealers including the dealer my Mom bought it from in 1998.  Neither of them offered a shot at obtaining a copy of the wiring schematic.  Guess they wanted me to bring it in for some dealership repair rates??

The Minn Kota AC [I hope it was AC  I've slept since then} pass threw power port that I think SternWake told me about will soon be added.  That was a new one on me 2 RV places want to "see" it and they both want $40 to  $60 to install it..Seems to me that since I'm bringing something new to them that could possibly bring more income to their businesses they outta cut me some slack.  Lon will do it for $20 or $30,  Hey I've slept since he told me the price :D

Hope to move forward soon with Safari and Aliner.....I WANNA GO SOMEWHERE!!!  I feel like Antonio Bandares's character in Expendables III when he can't get hired.  I need to have a fit and swing my arms around in frustration....the accent could be a problem. 
 He's about to do that just 2ft from my bed   ;) :rolleyes:

Jewellann

Any chance on getting a copy of that schematic and posting it here?  Pretty smart folks around here.  I've been known to be a masochist at times. :) 

Best of luck to you, Lon, and can't forget Queenie

George

gapper2 said:
Any chance on getting a copy of that schematic and posting it here?  Pretty smart folks around here.  I've been known to be a masochist at times. :) 

Best of luck to you, Lon, and can't forget Queenie

George
:)  Thanks for the well wishes.

I will have a copy of it.  I don't know how to post anything except what  I've typed.  I'm willing to mail someone a copy and they could post it.  Also I will find out the web site Lon {mechanic} used and if there was a fee.

I googled both Parkins and C?C and accessed their web sites before.  There may be different sites for "in the trade" folks?  I'll post on this thread whatever I learn.

Jewellann

I just googled Parkin Accessory Elkhart IN.  On their site they have A LOT of stuff....what caught my eye was RV seals and Door seals and trim,  also even horse trailer windows and RV doors.  looks like a good site for van and cargo trailer conversion parts.  But what do I know...I'm just a ol' gurl   :D

Jewellann

I'm taking my uncle back to Clearwater, FL on Monday (actually riding with my little brother) or I would PM you my address (even though I've never PM'd) and I could post it for you.  Will be gone just a few days.  I'm just up the road from you in NE GA.  Got family around Dothan and Graceville.  Do you have a newer phone?  A possible really good photo of the schematic with a phone camera?

gapper2 said:
I'm taking my uncle back to Clearwater, FL on Monday (actually riding with my little brother) or I would PM you my address (even though I've never PM'd) and I could post it for you.  Will be gone just a few days.  I'm just up the road from you in NE GA.  Got family around Dothan and Graceville.  Do you have a newer phone?  A possible really good photo of the schematic with a phone camera?
I'VE FOUND THE EASIEST WAY TO pm  {{DAMN OL' CAPS LOCK KEY} someone is to find their screen name in upper left corner of one of their posts, click there & this will link to their profile.   Click and scroll down to "send so and so a message", click and then do the msg.  Be sure and put in a subject.  It's like replying to a post.  Snail mail is about it for me right now.  The van goes back this Thur.  for the lighting shorts and I hope it gets fixed.  I'll be sure and get all the info I can re: the schematic and the site Lon got it from.  I don't mind mailing it and I will not show up or your door step either   :D  Don't laugh....it happened to me one time!  I'm fairly/semi security conscious so will not be offended if you do not wish to PM me an address.  
 YOU DO KNOW I AIN"T RIGHT?  Just ask around :angel: 

Hope you had a good a good trip.

Jewellann and Q

TJB "Ain't Right" but a very trustworthy and reliable "Ain't Right"....
However I can't vouch for Queenie , a good plan is keep your fingers to yourself till she approves of you!

Last Thursday, at least I think it was Thursday :s All the shorts were finally fixed in the Safari.  Whoopee!
They were real busy at the shop and almost closed by the time I got there to pick it up.  Lon sez he will print me a new copy of the schematic and give me the web site info when I go back in next week to get the Safari towing lighting done so I can plug the Aliner in when towing it.

Jewellann