"Conversion Van" vs Cargo Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovrcmr

Reaction score
Background:    my ignorance between the differences is starting to nag me.  Unfortunately I'm in an area where I can't even look at conversions in person.  I think the closest is about 250 miles away and because of my job I don't even have the time to go look.  Believe it or not I haven't even seen a Chevy or gmc cargo in the larger sizes near here.  Im looking at purchasing either a Nissan or GM in the next couple of months for long term boondocking.  I'm a 6 foot tall male  in prime old health on a tight budget.  I'm looking to do a little hiking along the Rockies in summer and winter in the southwest while I still can.  I plan on a simple kitchen with counter  and bath consisting of the glorious pail.

It seems converting a cargo can get expensive quickly for us uncoordinated barely able to swing a hammer types.  My biggest worry is insulating a cargo would be easier to work with if the conversions are the normal minimal insulation that car manufacturers seem to love.
Are mechanicals still heavy duty on comparable model vans?
Is insurance costs different between conversion and cargo?
Is there comparable differences in storage space?  
Looks like the higher roof doesn't afford full vertical standing in the conversions but I can live with that since their used sale prices are noticibly cheaper then low roof cargo at some sites.  Why?  I would think they still pretty much use the cargo body in mfg, no?
Is the fold down bed worth the trouble in back of the conversions for a 6 footer?  If I have to sleep angled on the bed it seems a lot of space is waisted by the bed since I'd never use it as a bench seat.
On that note is there a market for the removed seats if I remove them?
Oh, and if I missed the thread with this already asked I will yell at my tablet profusly because I couldnt find it.
Thanks for all answers, advice, and criticisms.

A "conversion" van to me means one that was converted to a luxury people hauler from the factory, or as part of a new package being added before being sold new.

I had a 1989 Chevy "Starcraft" conversion van long ago that had plush, overstuffed seats, copious wood trim, thick carpet, big picture windows, and appeared more like a limosine than a van.

Very similar to this;
https://classiccars.com/listings/vi...rsion-starcraft-for-sale-in-bend-oregon-97703

Conversion vans mean the same to me with a "TV" top, not a high top.  You can't stand in them unless you're short.

When we removed the seats from our passenger seat, no one wanted to purchase them on Craig's List. When we put them up for free, we had about 3 people come and pick up the seats. So, you might get some cash. I think one reason why cargo vans are the same price or more, is that contractors want them and want the open room. Most people don't want an old fashioned conversion van with velvet seats. If the conversion van was not sitting for years, and you could get it much cheaper, rip everything out and make the bed the size you want.

What are you driving now? With all of the questions you posted, I think you should consider a cargo trailer or mini-camper.

If the vehicle you have now will pull a small trailer or small camper, you could buy one of these and get going for much less money and less work involved.

We have two Nissan NV full sized, hightop cargo vans.  Why two? Well Hubby does his own long distance traveling and I can't be left without a vehicle. The payments suck, but we are spending about what we did when we had a sticks & bricks house or if we had an apartment.  We can afford either the vans or an apartment,  not both.

His van is set up for the two. Mine is set up for one. His bed is cattywompus and mine is lengthwise. We had to cut off four inches at the bottom of his mattress to fit crosswise.  He's 5'11. Plenty of room for both of us. We did both vans with hand tools, a jig saw, electric drill and an angle grinder for the fans and the windows. They look hand built, but functional.  There's a sh*load of storage in each, huge drawers under the bed and IKEA cabinets above. Luggable Loo (along with a pee jug). 

If you get a conversion van, wysiwyg. If you convert a cargo van yourself, you can put in exactly what you want, from simply a sleeping bag in the back to running water(which we don't need or want). With an empty cargo van is that you can start out with no improvements and add on with time as money permits and you know your needs. You can do a conversion as cheaply as you want. I don't know about the difference in insurance cost between cargo and conversion vans. Have fun with whatever you choose!
Ted

For me the best features of my conversion van are the large windows on both sides, they open and have screens.  Everyone one is different, but I love being in the desert at night and being able to see the moon and stars while in bed. I do use reflectix on windows when I need more privacy.
You say you would like a 'simple kitchen', a cargo van might be a better option for that.  I did sell my seats on Craigslist, but it took a long time and didn't get much for them.

Hi,

I'd invite you to look at the first link in my signature lines below.  Van Conversion.  

If you are 6' and want to stretch out...building your bunk along the drivers side wall may make more sense.  Your kitchenette may work best on the passengers side between the side door and rear doors.

If you plan to be out in the cold you should insulate well for it as you only have that between you and the outside
weather.  You could have a bed that folds up against the wall to make more room and set up a folding easy chair of some kind.  

Dollar Tree Stores sell large white cardboard sheets that you could make a scale floor plan of the Van you intend to buy.
Then you could make scale pieces of cardboard to represent your bed, kitchenette, etc to place the items around in the floor plan to visualize various arrangements that would work best for you.  But you have the time to plan and imagine now.  Like the carpenters say,  "measure twice and cut once".

Thanks for all the experienced replies everyone. It's helped a lot for my decision-making. I was hoping I'd benefit more from the higher roof on the conversion van making more headroom without added expense of adding a higher roof if I go that way. The pictures of the outside at least looked like it was more then just inches. Demand determines price so now I know why cargos are more expensive since we compete with companies for them. I'll tell you 15k for a conversion van with same year make and model and mileage as 20k cargo is luring though. If it weren't a question about insulation I think I'd lean towards the conversion and pretty much gut it. In the chevys you'd still get a slight benefit of higher roof and maybe putting a tall roof on it could be cheaper since the sheet metal is already cut out. Its way past my skill level though.
I do need to do a little stealth camping in a few instances and have an enclosed trailer already that I plan to give to a friend because of the need to stealth camp. I originally planned it for a house but can't go that way because of that. BTW, I have a decent 07 Nissan frontier with campershell that I'm going to sell cheap. Not enough room for me longterm.

Let me mention this.  I'm not on the road full time yet.  But I do have a 90 Ford E-350 extended Van.  It is white in color with a high top that gives me an inch or three of headroom such that I can walk back and forth in it without bending over.  I'm slightly less than 6' in height.

Now, when I'm out in early spring and use my Mr Buddy to heat...the heat goes up into the fiberglass roof and if I'm closer to the floor or in bed...it is still cold. See ?

I've mentioned lately that if I were to replace my Van someday....I may look for a popup roof kit to install on a conventional Van.  It would probably allow for better fuel mileage,  better heating characteristics at night, less likelihood of hitting tree branches or other obstructions or driving under things that aren't over 9' in height.  If it were hot, I could pop up the roof and zip open the screened windows.  Should a storm come up in the later evening I could pull the top back down.   But as it is now with my fixed high top....I have to take the good with the bad.   And I only need  the high top when parked as I have to be very alert when driving as not to hit something and cause a lot of expensive damage.

Give this a look

Penthouse Pop Top

Cargo and conversion vans essentially share the same mechanical's under the hood and suspension. Cargo are bare bones painted steel in back and come in standard, mid, or high tops. Conversion vans usually have stylized exterior trim and will generally be short to mid-tops, with lots of windows, upholstery, and seats in the back. Some may come with a second battery and a second air conditioner for rear passengers. You can strip rear seats and unneeded stuff out of a conversion van and remake it into whatever you want. Key difference is you'd need some coverings for the windows that a cargo van doesn't have. Anything is possible when you get creative...

Pop Top vs High Top Overview

Pop Top                                                         High Top

Garage                  Easier to Park                                                Limited to service vehicle garages

Use                       Must pop top to use                                       Stand up whenever you want

Complexity            Moving parts wear, Canvas ages                     Solidly mounted - Simple is good

Aerodynamics        Similar to stock                                             Bad all the time

Crosswinds           Similar to stock                                             Can get scary

Low Hanging 

Tree Limbs           Similar to stock                                              Bang, bang scratch

Appearance           Not noticeable to most vs super cool                Handicap van

Stealth Camping    Obviously camping with top up                        Less conspicuous

Insulating - Heat    Doable with add-on fabric or bubble wrap         Easy

AC and Heating     Similar to stock when top down                       Significantly increased the amount of space to cool/heat

Noise                   Like sleeping in tent                                        Much better and improvable

Cabinets               Mesh pockets                                                What ever you want -  entertainment system or microwave

New Parts Availability  Difficult to find unless you have a Westy    Easier to find

Used Parts Availability   Try wrecking yard for Westy                  Try wrecking yard for handicap, shuttle or conversion vans

Install                  Complex; Fabrication often needed                   Easily DIY job

Cleaning              Similar to stock                                              Can be difficult & with need for scaffolding

eDJ_ said:
Pop Top vs High Top Overview

Hi, I had Sportsmobile in Indiana install a penthouse poptop on my Ford conversion van.. Pricey, but I've never regretted having it done. I do not have the electric version and as I get older I find it getting more difficult to pop open. Being short doesn't help either. The Sportsmobile tops are very high quality, mechanics, canvas, screened zippered windows, all of it.  Concerning crosswinds? or just very windy days, I do not have the top up. Rocks the van too much.  Don't know if you could put one on a van that had previously had a different kind of top. They cut open the roof to a certain dimension to fit the poptop and the metal plate used under it to the van. Just saying I'm happy with it versus High Tops.  I also do not live in it full time, only about 6 months each year.

crackedpan said:
For me the best features of my conversion van are the large windows on both sides, they open and have screens.  Everyone one is different, but I love being in the desert at night and being able to see the moon and stars while in bed. I do use reflectix on windows when I need more privacy.
You say you would like a 'simple kitchen', a cargo van might be a better option for that.  I did sell my seats on Craigslist, but it took a long time and didn't get much for them.

I'll tell ya, I really like the windows all around more and more.

Doubleone said:
Cargo and conversion vans essentially share the same mechanical's under the hood and suspension....
Thank you.  That's the big question answered.  Covered windows should be an easy solution.  The other benefit may be cargos tend to be mostly local miles and passenger might have more highway I suspect.   Can't see them to be daily drivers.

Conversion vans are usually on 1/2 ton vans too. Doing a buildout may make one of those overweight. If you go this route, you will want to use lightweight building techniques with means no heavy 2X4 framing. Half ton vans will have smaller brakes, etc than a 3/4 or 1 ton will have.

eDJ_ said:

Nicely done pop top but looks like it's out of my budget,  I was thinking 2500 for a hightop takes me too far away from buying a lower mileage van but that could be half of what I hope to pay for a van.  Realistically I'm thinking I can afford 15-20k for a van and expect it would cost another 5k for what I put into it.  Insulation, floor, cabinets, Solar, bat, etc.

B and C said:
Conversion vans are usually on 1/2 ton vans too.  Doing a buildout may make one of those overweight.  If you go this route, you will want to use lightweight building techniques with means no heavy 2X4 framing.  Half ton vans will have smaller brakes, etc than a 3/4 or 1 ton will have.

Ouch, good point.  Most I've looked at though are Gmc 2500 swb.  That's 3/4, right?  I'll have to look at the gross vehicle weights a little closer.  Some pictures of the conversions have shown the sticker.  I did see a 3500 but only the one I think.
Edit:
On second look they are mostly 1500's I've been seeing. I'll have to do a new price comparison. Ive got to keep the heavy haulers in mind for all my crap.

ovrcmr said:
Ouch, good point.  Most I've looked at though are Gmc 2500 swb.  That's 3/4, right?  I'll have to look at the gross vehicle weights a little closer.  Some pictures of the conversions have shown the sticker.  I did see a 3500 but only the one I think.
Edit:
On second look they are mostly 1500's I've been seeing.  I'll have to do a new price comparison.  Ive got to keep the heavy haulers in mind for all my crap.

Edit again:
When I compared same model and year, etc again I get a closer cost difference with the older models.  Not doable for me if I want reliability down the road so to speak. 
Newer models actually are 5k more then a cargo and tend to be the 3/4's.  At 35k they are way out of my range.  
Wow, I'll have to watch my search terms more closely since I was searching on 2500 and 3500 models.  The one site stripped out all but conversion van and was mainly Chevy express 1500's.  

ovrcmr said:
Realistically I'm thinking I can afford 15-20k for a van and expect it would cost another 5k for what I put into it.  Insulation, floor, cabinets, Solar, bat, etc.

check out the 3 Sportsmobile online sites for older used units, occasionally have them under 20K