Van Conversion Cost

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunDance57

Reaction score
Hi VanDwellers,

I have a question, I bet it has already been covered in a thread somewhere. But here goes.

What does it cost to convert a van into a simple camper. What I would like is:

paneling and insulation
bed
a cupboard where I could put my camp stove (already have it)
a cabinet
Led lights wiring (1 or 2)

I could price the below out.
Simple fridge (110? I do not know what it runs on yet)
100W solar panel and wiring
1 12v house battery
maybe a plastic shelf stack
portable toilet

Did I miss a major item?

A wild ass guess is good enough for me.  Really, just a ball park so I can figure out a budget.

Why? I have been camping out of my truck for many years for short trips. Now I want extended trips with a bit more comfort for me.

I am asking you for 2 reasons.

I have a fixed amount of cash (maybe 15K max, but 10K would be better). I would like to buy as good as a van as possible and skimp somewhat on the comfort items.

I have also looked at some ads for already older converted vans with simple plans as listed above within my price range. By looking at Kelley blue book it seems people are pricing their conversions at about 5K to 6K above KBB. Seems little high to me, but I bet the labor is big. Is that right? The vans seem to have lots of mileage on them.  A converted van would be great for me so I could just customize it, and I never converted one before.

Looking forward to desert camping this winter.

Thanks,
Michael

Minimum 2500? That is a wild guess! But, it includes an AC D.C. Fridge and they are 600+ maybe less, but you asked for wild.

less then 2000.

For me what I added to my astrovan
240 watt panel (bought on craiglist 200 dollars)
ecoworthy 20 amp mppt controller (ebay 100 dollars)
wires/connectors to hook everything up maybe 50 dollars
rtech insulation (4x8 foot sheets) 8 dollars each at home depot qty 3 (maybe more)
cabinets I build my own maybe 100 dollars
agm battery 100 to 200 dollars depending on quality/size
hot glue gun to install insulation 20 dollars at harbor freight
cordless jigsaw to cut wood for cabinets/install roof vents 30 dollars at harbor freight 

my recommendation is get a bigger solar panel, price difference is worth it. I use to have a 120 watt panel which put out 6 amps and was never satisfied with it. I upgraded to the large panel 240 watts and get up to 12 amps, thats a major difference. You won't regret it. It will easily keep up with the fridge. With 240 watts its all you need to keep you battery charged, my system has never been connected to the alternator. 

The more of the work you do yourself, the cheaper it is. In 5 years I been improving my van, I've building my own swampcoolers and now I'm building my own 110ah lifepo4 battery packs.

I can tell you to the PENNY what my build out was on my 2015 Chevy Express. I've saved every receipt for anything that I put into the van. Been kinda scared to open the envelope and actually COUNT how much :). The van build is 90% done at this point. What I did:
Flooring
insulation
walls-1/4" Tongue and Groove cedar planks
ceiling-1/4" Tongue and Groove cedar planks
door panels
pre-wiring
led lighting
home made ice box from dorm fridge (had laying around the house)
wood bed frame with storage
Fantastic Fan
PlasticCote paint for back windows
Weathertech rain shields for front windows
mattress
curtain divider

Still to build: Bulkhead wall, deep cycle battery, electrical solenoid, battery wiring cables, wardrobe/storage closet and a bunch of other little improvements for when I get bored, have the time and decent weather to work in. I didn't need to buy any tools, as I'm pretty well equipped.

I'll post later tonight after I get the calculator out...

ValerieP said:
Minimum 2500? That is a wild guess! But, it includes an AC D.C. Fridge and they are 600+ maybe less, but you asked for wild.

That is it? Great! Yes I like it wild. Lol.  Thanks ValerieP!!

OK...here goes.  See my previous reply for what I have and don't have in my 2015 Chevy Express, Standard Length, no windows except back doors that have been painted over:
Wood and Lumber:                                            303.40
Floor(Vinyl Plank)                                               192.85
Insulation                                                             48.85  (this sounds low to me...)
Hardware/stains/paint/wiring/consumables             443.49
Decor/LED Lighting                                              186.69
Furnishings                                                         106.68
SUB TOTAL                                                       1281.56
PA/Local Tax 7%                                                89.71
TOTAL LOCAL PURCHASES                             1371.27
Amazon Purchases:
WeatherTech window shields                           63.33
FantasticFan/Installation gunk                       281.73
MemoryFoam mattress(Full Size)                   244.39

Stuff I probably missed...                              100.00
TOTAL                                                             $2060.62
I still have not purchased my deep cycle battery, battery monitoring, trickle charger, inverter, solenoid, battery cables/box ( I will not be using solar for my van).
I also plan to install a bulkhead which will probably be $150-200 when finished.
I also spent 99.71 on tools which the bulk was 2 extra lithium 18v batteries for my Ryobi system and a few various smaller things i.e., drill bits, saw blades, french curve, etc...
Hope this helps!
Artsyguy

Amazing how all the little things add up. when i built my boat the state wanted a breakdown of materials cost. I had placed all the receipts in a folder. I knew I had spent $1000 on the lumber but when i added up all the other misc the tab came out to almost $4k. With the van I didn't need expensive lumber but all the solar and other large parts started adding up quick. UPS and Fedex made a bundle off me :)

Thanks to your request, I got caught up on my build expense record today while I was finding my answers to your question. Good to get it caught up but dang, my eyes bugged out. Somebody grew it while I wasn't looking.

Anyway, if this helps, first I did what I could with mostly repurposed, recycled, free stuff, then spent money on things I didn't have but needed. Eventually I added in a bit at a time what I wanted in order to power future stuff - 2 house batteries and 3 charging sources for them - solar, shore power and off the alternator.

Fast forward, now I'm getting the stuff to power. Started last year with an old 12v compressor fridge for $150. Heading toward a 12v tv soon. Have 12v outlets to charge stuff.

Also included in my records are initial maintenance, repair and spare parts and gizmos for the van itself at purchase and since which total about 25% of my total expense so far.

But you are only asking about the following so here's what I paid for them:

"paneling and insulation" --- about $300 as follows:

Adhesive
Blades
Flooring Insulation
Gloves
Window insulation - 2 Reflectix 4 x 25
Molding - 3 lattice plastic
Wall insulation - polyiso foam board 3 - 4 x 8 - 1"
Wall insulation - polyiso foam board 1 - 4 x 8 - 1/2"
Tape - aluminum foil 3 - my best friend
Wall covering - Plas-Tex vinyl - 1 and already had 2 others.
Screws - self drilling 2 3/8" and 1 1/2"
Screws - stainless steel 3/4" self-tapping
My insulated vinyl walls are pretty much held in place by nailers, screws, glue and tape, then counter and bed frame. Not much to admire, but holding up.

"bed" --- about $100 (but I built 2 beds, one under the other):

Braces - corner 2"
Braces - corner 3"
Glue - wood
Hooks - eye
Screws - wood
screws 2" interior
wood - framing 2 x 2
wood - furring strips 1 x 2
wood - plywood bed decks, counter unit - had all this already so free
mattress - had foam pieces already so free

"a cupboard where I could put my camp stove (already have it)": $5

I found a 30" x 30" x 10" cupboard for $5 from a thrift store.
Topped it with a 5' long ply piece that I already had, with a vertical ply side to floor at the other end.
Holds sink, stove and cutting board, plastic drawers added underneath next to cupboard.
I already had a salad bowl (sink), drain, pvc pipe and wastewater jug.

"a cabinet": $27

I just use plastic drawers screwed to wall nailers - some I had, some from yard sales, thrift stores - about $12
And cargo nets - about $15
And bungie cords to keep things from flying around but I'm upgrading to 1 x 2's ha ha

"Led lights wiring (1 or 2)" ---$62

LUCI solar lights - 3 about $42 - (btw these are AWESOME)
2 rolls of warm white led lights wired to 12v plug I already had -$20 - use on occasion

So that's about $500... but if you have to buy the things I either had or got for free, add maybe another $300. Using the Plas-tex vinyl kept the wall covering cost down and bonus, it's easy to clean.

But my TOTAL total for maintenance, parts, repair and build thus far is, like I said, under the control of some unseen force and has exceeded the four grand I paid for the van. S'ok, S'all good.

Hope this helps, best to you, and have fun!

Sassy

To the original posters question, if you are doing the work yourself, just add up the cost of components.
But it seems you are more wondering about what to pay for someone ELSES conversion that is already done.
that is had.
I personally wouldn't buy another person's conversion, solely because you don't know the quality that and craftsmanship that went into it.
This will be a place where you live and you need to drive it, that brings all the perils and pitfalls of home ownership and used car buying into one mobile package.

I would buy the best van you can get and start outfitting it yourself.
If you are reasonably handy, you can do a fair job and know exactly what you have.
You can do things in stages like a 5 day cooler until you figure out your refrigeration options or if you even want refrigeration.
Or living off batteries and a small generator until you figure out solar needs.

That way you can live in it and figure out exactly what you want and only get what you need.

BinDerSmokDat said:
To the original posters question, if you are doing the work yourself, just add up the cost of components.
But it seems you are more wondering about what to pay for someone ELSES conversion that is already done.
that is had.
I personally wouldn't buy another person's conversion, solely because you don't know the quality that and craftsmanship that went into it.
This will be a place where you live and you need to drive it, that brings all the perils and pitfalls of home ownership and used car buying into one mobile package.

I would buy the best van you can get and start outfitting it yourself.
If you are reasonably handy, you can do a fair job and know exactly what you have.
You can do things in stages like a 5 day cooler until you figure out your refrigeration options or if you even want refrigeration.
Or living off batteries and a small geneator until you figure out solar needs.

That way you can live in it and figure out exactly what you want and only get what you need.

Yes, it does seem the quality varies quite a bit. I am somewhat handy. I like the stages method. Good ideal. Break the project down into chunks. I have plenty of camping gear so I could still use it even during the early stages.  I will probably go this route unless something falls into my lap.

sassypickins said:
Thanks to your request, I got caught up on my build expense record today while I was finding my answers to your question.  Good to get it caught up but dang, my eyes bugged out.  Somebody grew it while I wasn't looking.  

Anyway, if this helps, first I did what I could with mostly repurposed, recycled, free stuff, then spent money on things I didn't have but needed.  Eventually I added in a bit at a time what I wanted in order to power future stuff - 2 house batteries and 3 charging sources for them - solar, shore power and off the alternator.  

Fast forward, now I'm getting the stuff to power.  Started last year with an old 12v compressor fridge for $150.  Heading toward a 12v tv soon.  Have 12v outlets to charge stuff.

Also included in my records are initial maintenance, repair and spare parts and gizmos for the van itself at purchase and since which total about 25% of my total expense so far.

But you are only asking about the following so here's what I paid for them:

"paneling and insulation" --- about $300 as follows:

Adhesive
Blades
Flooring Insulation
Gloves
Window insulation - 2 Reflectix 4 x 25
Molding - 3 lattice plastic
Wall insulation - polyiso foam board 3 - 4 x 8 - 1"
Wall insulation - polyiso foam board 1 - 4 x 8 - 1/2"
Tape - aluminum foil 3 - my best friend
Wall covering - Plas-Tex vinyl - 1 and already had 2 others.
Screws - self drilling 2 3/8" and 1 1/2"
Screws - stainless steel 3/4" self-tapping
My insulated vinyl walls are pretty much held in place by nailers, screws, glue and tape, then counter and bed frame.  Not much to admire, but holding up.

"bed" --- about $100 (but I built 2 beds, one under the other):

Braces - corner 2"
Braces - corner 3"
Glue - wood
Hooks - eye
Screws - wood
screws 2" interior
wood - framing 2 x 2
wood - furring strips 1 x 2
wood - plywood bed decks, counter unit - had all this already so free
mattress - had foam pieces already so free

"a cupboard where I could put my camp stove (already have it)": $5

I found a 30" x 30" x 10" cupboard for $5 from a thrift store.
Topped it with a 5' long ply piece that I already had, with a vertical ply side to floor at the other end.
Holds sink, stove and cutting board, plastic drawers added underneath next to cupboard.
I already had a salad bowl (sink), drain, pvc pipe and wastewater jug.

"a cabinet": $27

I just use plastic drawers screwed to wall nailers - some I had, some from yard sales, thrift stores - about $12
And cargo nets - about $15
And bungie cords to keep things from flying around but I'm upgrading to 1 x 2's ha ha

"Led lights wiring (1 or 2)" ---$62

LUCI solar lights - 3 about $42 - (btw these are AWESOME)
2 rolls of warm white led lights wired to 12v plug I already had -$20 - use on occasion

So that's about $500... but if you have to buy the things I either had or got for free, add maybe another $300.  Using the Plas-tex vinyl kept the wall covering cost down and bonus, it's easy to clean.

But my TOTAL total for maintenance, parts, repair and build thus far is, like I said, under the control of some unseen force and has exceeded the four grand I paid for the van.  S'ok, S'all good.

Hope this helps, best to you, and have fun!

Sassy

It sounds like a great one ton conversion van. Do you have any pics of the final project?