Sound deadener

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you used sound deadener in your van?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Vanada

Reaction score
Hey All!

I'm interested to know what the consensus is here as to whether it's worth installing sound deadener.

Would not insulation and paneling make it unnecessary?

Cheers,
Tom

Insulation, paneling and the contents of the van made sound deadener unnecessary for me.

Depends on what frequencies you are trying to deaden.  High and Mid-range frequencies are damped with batting or foams.  Low frequencies require mass.  Dynamat is heavy for a reason.  For very low frequencies dead soft lead is often used.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
Depends on what frequencies you are trying to deaden.  High and Mid-range frequencies are damped with batting or foams.  Low frequencies require mass.  Dynamat is heavy for a reason.  For very low frequencies dead soft lead is often used.

-- Spiff

So deadener deals with the resonant sound that comes from the body of the van and doors that insulation cannot? The examples I've seen demonstrate the deadener changing the closing of doors from a "boom" to a "clunk" sort of sound. If I were to insulate an panel a van but still have that resonating sound then it sounds like it's worth installing.

Spaceman Spiff said:
 Low frequencies require mass. 

Which is why I ultimately gave up on perfect soundproofing- it's too heavy for the payload of my truck.

I never bother with specific sound deadener in a van.

It's never going to sound quiet like a Caddie for starters and secondly, by the time all the rest of the stuff IN the van does it's various squeaks, groans and other various noises, sound deadening in the body becomes irrelevant.

Just turn the stereo up a notch... :D

I think it's worth applying it, the deadener makes a difference when applied on the big flat metal surfaces of your van. It won't block most the sound coming out of the van. it also kind of eliminates the rattle of the van when you hit a bump or a pot hole.

It's also a great moisture barrier, protects metal from rust. I covered all my floor , now I'm worry free if a water spill happens.

I used fat may rattle trap and I believe it's cheaper than dynamat, but still good quality.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk