Something I'm considering...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the 2nd one. I went with a diesel ambulance here(e350) It's about 10" narrower than the newer ones i think, the dual wheels extend past the body. but I lenjoy the solid box, and lack of leaking.

That ambulance is sa-weet! Lots of potential there, with already built shelves too!

Somehow, I think it would be difficult to stealth park in either one of those;) - Spiff

Great bodies, if you just want it for storage and living.
99% have been driven super-hard, by multiple, multiple drivers and the engines are over used.
All working parts on the interior are over used as crews live in them 24/7 and post.
Some companies just buy new. When they finish with them, there are triple the small companies that buy them used. There are crews that just specialize in the Horton type engines. So, when the tertiary companies let them go.....they are gone.
Guaranteed to get very poor gas mileage secondary to the extra weight added in for safety reasons required by the Department of Transportation.
LEOs and people in general, naturally look out for ambulances. The body style will never, in any color, be in stealth mode.

Stealth parking a problem??? ,,,, no, not a problem, thinking outside the box. Park at the police station, in front of a firehouse station or hospital. Near a city, county or municipal parking lot.

I......... Like it!

A lot of truth there. But, a lot of ambulances get heavy maintenance and when there's issues they spend and fix it! Owners can just patch and get buy.

The 460 gas engine is destined to eat your fuel budget.
Those rigs weigh a lot, even before you add your build and stuff.
Otherwise, I think they're pretty cool.

Yeah, I figured stealth could be a potential problem, but also thought of the "out of the box" ideas. Another "Stealth" idea, Keep it painted somewhat like a regular ambulance, but ad business signs on the sides, front and back for a mobile computer service business. It could be called "Ambu-Tech"! Cool eh! Suddenly, stealth in plain sight! The best kind!

Lugh

Ooh! Oooh! Another idea! Oh you're gonna love this one! Since one of the reasons I'm planning on van-dwelling is that I'm hoping to spend more time becoming more proficient on my harp. Imagine a combination Music therapy/ambient live music service named.....(drum roll please)....... Mood Medic!

Well, I kinda like it! :angel:

Lugh

Love Mood Medic and Ambu-tech! Add Lugh to the rescue as your slogan and you're set.

Have seen ambulance owned by locksmith. Lock Doc!:D

If only money were no object...

Thanks Kathleen! "Lugh to the rescue!" I like it! I might have to more seriously consider this. I do like the ambulance for all the storage and such. Just gotta decide if the fuel costs are worth it.

Lock Doc is great too! Oddly enough, I was considering some locksmith classes as an alternate way to make money.

Yeah Vic, money always manages to be an issue, but I plan to use a small retirement account that probably won't amount to much as is. If I set up my finances the way I hope to, I should be able to replace it in about a year. Right now, I'm considering my options. One of which is a an ambulance. Another of which is a step van. (It'd be nice to have the height. I'm 6"3") Another possibility is a hi top van. Obviously, I'll have to decide at some point. Right now, I'm mulling it over. ;-)

Lugh

Lugh, hubby and I took locksmith classes at the adult education department of our public school system. Cost was very reasonable.

Hi Msbarth,

I've been thinking that setting up a mobile auto locksmith service would be fairly awesome! Basically re-keying and letting people into their cars when they lock themselves out. I figure I could probably set up a small scale practice in a variety of places with magnetic signs, business cards and a cell phone. Possibly with the right recommendations, I might even be able to set up with some road service companies!
Just another thought!

Lugh

Lugh, we took the classes for fun and never went into business because we both had full time jobs. We have unlocked doors for people on occasion and it is quite interesting and probably would not be overly expensive to set up. The thing to watch out for would be meeting all the legal requirements especially if you are not planning on staying in one place.

Yeah, figured there might be some bureaucratic hoops to jump. I'll have to look at that before committing to anything.

It's a bit different up here, there are no private companies typically, so you buy direct from the government, at 250-300k KM(not miles). Most are Crestline, built in Saskatchewan, which are very nicely built, albeit a bit narrower(they don't go right out to the edges of the dual tires, and have mostly welded bodies). 7.3L ford turbo diesels.
Low hours get a premium price(4000 hours is not uncommon, I took one with 7000 hours, which saved me about 2000$ buying it, which is the same cost as another cutaway e350, or a good low miles(and very low hours) engine and transmission from the same era.
I shopped carefully, bought at auction at the time of year that no one was going to be shopping much(January 2nd), and got one with an ad that sounded bad, but I researched the history of the van based on it's unit number and decals.
Paid 3100$. 260k KM, 7000 hours on the engine. Minimal rust. Minor issues to fix up(cracked fender etc).
They have less value on the used market because we don't have so many private companies. As a result you see them turned into work trucks and campers and similar around here.
I made sure to pick one that was from a relatively low stress position for a large portion of it's life, so it seemed less likely to be thrashed.
Runs well so far.

Thanks Jay!

I just believe that life in general should be something to be enjoyed and fun. I think it is important to remember the wisdom that children have. If something brings you joy, grab it with both hands and show your love and enthusiasm for it! Don't be afraid to be silly and remember that the Fool is the beginning and end of every life.

As small children, we don't fear looking silly because it's fun! As we get older, we start to realize that maybe dignity isn't all it's cracked up to be and we again become comfortable with being silly. That's if we're lucky and avoid being stodgy! Anyhow, I choose to live a life of adventure, humor, enthusiasm, and joy! And I've found kindred spirits in van-dwellers like yourself.

Some of my friends are concerned about my new direction that I'm headed, but I point out to them that it's not all that new for me. I lived in a converted Greyhound bus for two and a half years. I like living in limited space!

And adventures give me new stories to tell. And you know how I love to tell stories! (Luckily, I also love hearing them!) Who knows, maybe eventually I'll make myself into a Bard for the Van-dweller Community! I do love performing! Anyhow, I've enjoyed hanging out with you and learning from you. I hope to spend several more evenings like the couple we've had talking about everything. (Puttin' the world to rights, as the Irish would say!) I'm happy and honored to have made a new friend.

Thanks,

Lugh