Sold the step van and now I have $3,500-$4,500 to buy a van with, HELP!!! Please (:

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TucsonAZ

Reaction score
So I just sold my step van tonight, I paid $2,800, spent another $150 on LED lighting all around and $150 on a tuneup and other misc. stuff and I got it sold for $4,100 tonight.  I did shop around for months to get it and got a very good deal on it so even $4,100 seemed lower than what I've been seeing them sell for.

Now I want a full size van to convert to fit my needs, I'm going to use it (with a trailer for longer trips) to do my traveling, so much easier to park and reach more rugged locations.  The question is what's the best option for me, I'm leaning towards a 2003ish E350 (I'm thinking the 250 is too small for what I want) Extended but I'm also open to the LWB Express/Savana.  I'm not a huge Dodge fan and I don't want a Diesel so I'm curious what others have experienced in this price range or with these models, is one engine better than another?  I have more experience with the older stuff so this is not something I have a lot of knowledge with in terms of ease of working on and dependability.  

I'm also leaning toward a passenger van and tinting/painting than insulating over the windows just to help me stealth in residential areas.  

Vans are fairly low priced in AZ so I'm certain I will find a fair deal as they aren't easy to sell and I have 4-6 weeks to look for the right one.  

Thank you all a ton!

Oh and does anybody know how many 40x65 inch solar panels I can squeeze into a rack on the top?  I'm fairly sure three will fit no trouble but would much rather four if I can swing the 80ish by 130ish they will need.

I am all for high tops with windows and have one large panel, as for gas the inline 6 is thrifty and a work horse although a bit underpowered. Pre-computer should work for you. Like the last year of no computer.

Since you bought and then sold the step van, what were the problems you saw with it when it came to outfitting it as a travel vehicle. I am still open to the idea, but I also want to get out back a ways too. Also would love to be able to head out into the desert at times. Thnx!

Just want to say that when I did my shopping in 2007 for a brand new Van I looked hard at both the Chevy and the Ford. Dodge at the time was not impressing me and I had two dodges previously that didn't seem to age well. Honestly I had a 71 B-250 camper with a high top that I wish I had today. I'd drop a new crate motor and trans in, bring the suspension up to A quality and enjoy it to death.

But in your case and your questions, Look carefully, The Ford E-150, 250 and 350 all had extended versions. The box is 20 inches longer than standard. Boy I wish I had that 20 inches right now. The main difference in these are suspension specs. basically higher GVW based on stronger springs and axles.

Even on a 150 standard you can easily put up 4 panels. I have just two but after putting them up realized that if I wanted to I could have put up 6~! maybe 2 more on an extended version if you really wanted to press it.

wagoneer said:
I am all for high tops with windows and have one large panel, as for gas the inline 6 is thrifty and a work horse although a bit underpowered. Pre-computer should work for you. Like the last year of no computer.

I'm looking for something newer and with computers, I love the inline 6 though, I have the 300 in my F250 and it's an amazing truck/motor.

Cry said:
Since you bought and then sold the step van, what were the problems you saw with it when it came to outfitting it as a travel vehicle. I am still open to the idea, but I also want to get out back a ways too. Also would love to be able to head out into the desert at times. Thnx!

There isn't a ton of spare room in the GVW for a truck that size, great for bread, not so great for water, storage tanks, solar and stuff.  Also, heading down HWY 1 though BIg Sur was like a line backer in the ballet, stealthing in Capital Hill was tough because of the space it took up.  MPG wasn't great and overall it was not a lot of fun to drive.  If I were always going to be within 250 miles of the house I would get another, beyond that I would opt for a different format.  

Spirituallifetime said:
I would think an e250 would work fine unless you put in a lot of heavy cabinets and pull a big trailer with a lot of weight on the hitch.

Just my battery bank is 400 pounds, roof rack, solar, tools, I would much rather be really beefy with the E350

I drive a 2001 E350xl diesel just never backs down, injectors every 150k, lotta low end torque. I have not found a weakness.

TucsonAZ said:
So I just sold my step van tonight, I paid $2,800, spent another $150 on LED lighting all around and $150 on a tuneup and other misc. stuff and I got it sold for $4,100 tonight.  I did shop around for months to get it and got a very good deal on it so even $4,100 seemed lower than what I've been seeing them sell for.

Now I want a full size van to convert to fit my needs, I'm going to use it (with a trailer for longer trips) to do my traveling, so much easier to park and reach more rugged locations.  The question is what's the best option for me, I'm leaning towards a 2003ish E350 (I'm thinking the 250 is too small for what I want) Extended but I'm also open to the LWB Express/Savana.  I'm not a huge Dodge fan and I don't want a Diesel so I'm curious what others have experienced in this price range or with these models, is one engine better than another?  I have more experience with the older stuff so this is not something I have a lot of knowledge with in terms of ease of working on and dependability.  

I'm also leaning toward a passenger van and tinting/painting than insulating over the windows just to help me stealth in residential areas.  

Vans are fairly low priced in AZ so I'm certain I will find a fair deal as they aren't easy to sell and I have 4-6 weeks to look for the right one.  

Thank you all a ton!

Oh and does anybody know how many 40x65 inch solar panels I can squeeze into a rack on the top?  I'm fairly sure three will fit no trouble but would much rather four if I can swing the 80ish by 130ish they will need.

Check Van list on facebook!   https://www.facebook.com/groups/254679634614863/?pnref=lhc

250 & 350 have similar driveline. Springs and brakes are beefier on the one ton. I've found prices to be comparable on either one and the extended really don't bring a premium either, so you just have to be patient and search for your preference. My preference was and is the one ton ext. I have the diesel, older IDI, but I think the 300 is a great choice too.

The 300 six was discontinued somewhere around 1998. Replaced with a v6........

steveh2112 said:
i was just browsing craigslist and saw this
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4931063168.html
could make a hell of an RV out of that thing, maybe a bit more than what i want however
(i know that's no where near $3500 to $4500 by the way, just thought it looked cool)

I'm glad you posted that as that add on switch panel is cool, I didn't know they made that. I need one!

this looks like a great deal https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4932569906.html
not sure about the 63000 miles part but looks like a lot of van for the money

i wonder if its worth buying an older van like this for less and being prepared to spend some money on it, ok get a 2003-2005 van with about 100k on it for $5000? i think the latter.

steveh2112 said:
this looks like a great deal https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4932569906.html
not sure about the 63000 miles part but looks like a lot of van for the money

i wonder if its worth buying an older van like this for less and being prepared to spend some money on it, ok get a 2003-2005 van with about 100k on it for $5000? i think the latter.

If it checks out, that looks like a winner to me!

The busses are no good, I don't even want to deal with them on the E350/E450 cutaway. I don't want a half ton like the one linked above either, those are people carriers and they do that well but that wouldn't cut it for what I want.

I see sub $2,000 vans littering craigslist here, that isn't the market I'm looking to buy from. I'm looking for the best 2000-2005 options I can get and which motors are good in those years.

I'm leaning toward a E350 extended at this point and plan to see what I can pull off in that range with $4,500 give or take.

PS The inline 6 is great, best Ford motor maybe ever but 1997 was the last year and finding an E350 with one is like hunting for an honest politician.

This just my opinion and I am not a mechanic. I have a 2001 Chevy Express with 5.7 and my girlfriend has a 2006 Chevy Express with 5.3.

I'm a very big fan of the Chevy 5.3. I think it's far better than the Ford 5.4. At least you know it won't puke a plug. It's a mediocre engine at best. When it came time to replace the 351 and 350 Ford Effed up big time and Chevy got it just right. In every way the 5.3 is superior to the 350--5.7 and it was a legendary engine. Everyone I know with the 5.3 says it can easily get 20 MPG driven right.

My girlfriend and I drove hers 9000 miles round-trip to Alaska and averaged 17 MPG. If I weren't getting it, I would want a Chevy 6.0 liter.
Bob

I drive a 2001 e350 with 166xxx miles and it has never failed me. Parts are cheap and so is labor. I bought mine for 1500 from a bus company. It was maintained flawlessly and had brand new tires. You can always find someone selling a van cheap. Take your time and look at a few till you know what you are looking for. Then maybe use them against each other to get a better deal. Goodluck

i'm very interested to see what the OP ends up buying. it sounds like he's an experience van buyer.

In the past I have ended up with Dodge only because I have managed to get extremely good deals on them and for no other reason. If the 4.9l 300 were still being made it would be a no brainer for me but I just kind of came to the same conclusion Bob has already come to in Ford really not getting the newer generation motors right. I'm not really interested in the 5.4 and the 6.8 doesn't impress me either with neither seeming to be easy to work on. I'm leaning more towards the 6.0 and I like that GM extended their wheelbase versus Ford just adding to the back of it. I do like that Ford is more truck like and heavy duty but they really dropped the ball with motor choices and should have made a big block V8 versus the Chevy 4.3/5.7 equivalent (which Chevy seemed to get right) of just tossing two more cylinders on their 5.4 V8.

Not sure on the trans but Ford seems like it really didn't do a great job there either but that I haven't looked into much.

I won't run from a great deal on a Ford but it would have to be just that to sway me in that direction.

Well, after more research I'm on the hunt for the 1 Ton Express/Savana LWB, from all I have read it's a better done, better feeling, better riding van. The Econoline is still using a 40 year old platform and I'm not pleased with any of the engines they offer. So the hunt is on for the right fit!