Solar Trickle Charger Recommendation requested for 6 week parking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUIPME

Reaction score
I will be parking my Campervan in a Storage Facility which is uncovered for 6 weeks. Looking for a trickle charger to keep the battery topped off. I prefer a dashboard top unit which can plug into my cig lighter. My budget is $60. Please recommend a unit i can order thru amazon/ebay Or what I should specifically be aware of before purchasing.

Thank you!

It would be helpful to know any charging gear you already have installed. You might already have the stuff to make it work. It might already be working and you just don't know it.
  • if you have solar for the aux battery bank and a manual A/B battery switch then you could set it to A+B and walk off. Solar power will pass through to the starter batt.
  • if you have solar and a dual voltage-sensing relay it will automatically connect the two when the aux battery side hits the setpoint (typically something like 13.4v)
  • if you have solar and a combo DC-DC with MPPT it may have starter battery maintenance built in. Thinking specifically of the Ctek and Renogy 30/50DCC because they automagically maintain the starter batt.
The cheapest answer might be to unhook the terminals on the fully-charged starter battery and walk away. Reconnect when returning. This would stop any parasitic drain.

what I should specifically be aware of before purchasing

• small panels are $$$ by the watt
  • sitting behind the windshield will decrease already-trivial harvest ~50% (per testing here on the forum)
  • if the lighter port isn't powered with the engine off then you probably won't be able to push any power in, either

I have no solar set up currently, the van is all stock from the factory (its a 2003 Chevy Astrovan) And the cig lighter is powered even with the ignition off. I read reviews on amazon which people claim the trickle chargers actually Damaged their stock battery. I am looking to simply keep my battery in good health in the even the engine is not run for 1-3 months.

Thank You in advance for your replies

I have a 5 watt Sunforce that I've used for several years on my Econoline van and it does OK but I'm usually parked where there's plenty of sun. It is a simple,lower power unit with no controller that connects to the ciggy socket. I want to upgrade to a larger one and was considering the one below but 20 watts seems to need a controller,so not so simple. It doesn't include a ciggy plug so you'd have to install one on the bare wires:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WXSCTS...3&colid=9KCQ008LIXN&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
Then there's a Coleman 10 watt item with decent reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-5802...ce+10+watt&qid=1649713467&s=automotive&sr=1-5
Avoid the units with plastic frames. I had one for a different car and the frame melted in the heat of the sun.

.............or spend part of that $60 for a jump-box........and keep it in the van

Paulette kept her's from her car dwelling days........We've jumped dozens of vehicles...........It will start the Transit engine.........even got a bus going

i use 5--10 watt panels on my 2 vehicles out at my BOL face them to sun been there 2 years i use cig lighter connection (make sure you have power there with engine off.) every month i start them.. big panel might over charge your battery and dry it out.
good luck..i also have jump box out there.

I have used a 1.5 watt harbor freight solar charger connected directly to a cig lighter socket in my 1979 chevy nova. it kept the battery charged just sitting on the dash board in sun. I only started the nova every 3 months. no problems with a dead battery. the hf solar charger only cost about $15.00 new and will plug in out of the box. I now use this solar panel that is mounted to my garage wall to maintain a 12 volt battery that is an extra battery that will be used as a trade in core if needed. I also used it on an 89 chevy truck when it developed a short in the radio that drained the battery in 3 days time. it also worked as a short term fix for that.

battery drain is most always the Radio memory (all my chevy's are the yellow wire.) also a dirty battery will (drain) itself test this with meter 1 probe on (neg) positive rub around case you will see meter show drain . clean & dry battery see difference.
keeb.

Also the Alternator can drain the battery over time.

if your alternator is draining the battery, at least 1 of the 6 diodes is bad the regulator, its built in,the bridge diode set is the inside alternator. replace the alternator.

The diodes will run the battery down even if they are good. The will leak a small amount of voltage over time, but it will take several months to do it.