Solar panel overhang worries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakotalee

Reaction score
I just installed these 3 soalr panels. I think the guy that sold them to me told me the wrong dimensions and the overhang is more than expected. The good news is its not 4in past the wheel base. But you can see a good 6/7 inch over hang from the top. The rack is rated for 250lbs and Ive screwed 2x4 the mounts into the roof. I have L brackets on each of the 4 corners of the panels screwed to the 2x4s. I also used 3m tape. Should I be worried?Because right now I Am lol.

Attachments

• 20200509_184144_HDR~3.jpg
    20200509_184144_HDR~3.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200509_184056_HDR~2.jpg
    20200509_184056_HDR~2.jpg
    735.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200509_184105_HDR~2.jpg
    20200509_184105_HDR~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
well it would depend on what you want to do. I could never get away with that, I would have them ripped of. the wires would get ripped off PDQ. but I am not most people, in fact most people do not go where I go. thank God.

one thig for sure, I never would have used wood for structural mounting on the outside of any vehicle.

highdesertranger

I seen bob uaed 2x4s to mount some of his panela so I thpught it was a good idea

PDQ = Pretty Damn Quick. sorry for that

wood just ain't going to last.

highdesertranger

Any advice? I'm thinking of taking off the front panel and just keeping the back 2 until I find a better size panel. Why would the wires get ripped of pdq?

HDR goes way off in the boonies and the tree limbs would tear the panels up and probably rip out the wires. I hope the front panel doesn't stick out over the front of that TV roof, you did not show a picture of that. Think about the wind force upward off your windshield.

It overhangs the rounded roof some, but not the awning or side of the vehicle or mirrors--what are you concerned is going to happen?
I personally would not do anything since it is there already if it is not causing problems and drives properly. The wood mounting is already there & someday you may (or may not) need to replace it ( the wood is sheltered is under the panels for the most part as best I can tell). I wouldn't start over and tear it apart until you can see if it causes problems based on your use. My opinion only.

I have some log racks with unfinished pressure treated 2 by 4s that have held logs outside in the elements for 10+ years & still structurally fine --but they are not getting wind pressure.

Yea. Plus i painted them good. If i get 10 years out of them it will probably out live my van lol. It's getting hard to find some parts now.

Im worried they will rip off with the wind. I haven't driven it yet. Tomorrow i probably will. It's over kill. 1125w. Hooked to a 112ah 24v lifepo4 system

The real question is how well are they mounted to the wood and the rack--more so than the side overhang issue imo. No one can know that but you. Assume they are shorter/narrower--the wind will still go under the panels with or without the side overhangs. I would hope you did bolts with big washers and if so I would go for a slow drive in the country to try out. But that is just what I would do. I think stealth is not an option here. t

Solar Power by Red Bull!

Red Bull gives you WINGS!

Yeah I hope those solar 'wings' are bolted to the top, not glued.

I've got them bolted on to brackets then screwed the brackets into the wood with 3m tape

I would prefer bolts with big washers over screws if it was mine--but that is just my personal opinion and would defer to others with more experience here.

are they rectangular? If so take one off and turn the other 2 at 90 degrees. The hang the 3rd panel off the side of the van on a hinge with folding support arms as a tilt panel. Problem solved plus you end up with an awning for shade. Put the side mounted (awning) panel on its own controller.

I would take them all down and put one of the 375 watt paneLs back up properly. Why do you need so much solar what are you running?

I like your solar over kill/roof shade  :thumbsup:
Buzz Lightyear , Flying Nunn  
If they tilt down to the front they'll increase traction 
But
2 words (1 you used) come to mind , Screws & liability  
To quote HDR , I'd never get away with that!!!!!!!!!!

Dakotalee said:
I've got them bolted on to brackets then screwed the brackets into the wood with 3m tape

Two issues:
  1. Is the front panel overhanging the windshield?  If so, you are channeling the wind off the windshield under the front panel, trying to tear it off.  If the front panel is even with the windshield I would put a wind dam underneath the panel to keep the wind from getting under.  If 6 inches behind I wouldn't worry, the windshield will push air over the panels.
  2. I'd be more comfortable with through bolts than screws.  Screws will loosen with time.  Screws depend on a few wood fibers for holding while a through bolt with fender washers spreads the pulling force out over lots of wood fibers.

flying kurbmaster said:
I would take them all down and put one of the 375 watt paneLs back up properly. Why do you need so much solar what are you running?
Currently, dorm size fridge, gaming laptop, pumps, air purifier, fans. Want to add camera aystem, tv, subwoofer and speakers

I think you'll be fine as long as you keep it under 35 MPH and out of high wind areas.