Solar panel overhang worries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, those are some ginormous panels, 77x39. My class B+ is only 77" wide at the widest point. Thought about stacking them using slides and deploy when stationary?

B and C said:
Thought about stacking them using slides and deploy when stationary?

That would be a good setup. If it wasn't so difficult for me to redo mine, I would go that route.

Besides all-of-that...…..

How did you mount the "roof brackets" ?

Those fiberglass tops are notoriously thin and subject to cracking around the mounting holes...……..

They have plates that attach to both sides. Thats not the only thing holding it down though

I think the question should have been is how are the 2x4's mounted to the fiberglass? That might be the weakest link.

Hopefully the front panel is not too close to the front. If it is an air dam is imperative. Shoot, even a good crosswind might catch the sides just wrong. You might need an air dam there too.

Yes. Id like to get 2 more and have a 24v 225ah lithium system. Did a test drive today. I only went 40mph tho. One of these nights I'm going to take it on the highway. I want to put an airdam on first

It sounds like you have made up your mind.

To me they look just fine. They are no wider than the body of the van. In my van I have my roof covered with 960 watts. They overhang front and rear. No wind issues. For them to act as a sail the air pressure would need to press against the large area of the panel. That does not happen with the wind hitting their edges.
Here is my setup. I used gutter mount roof racks and Galvanized uni channel. Been driving highway speeds for a couple of years now.

Thank youdanny!!!!!! If that works I'm sure mine will now. Thanks for sharing. Wish I would have thought of the uni channel. Live and learn

I would like of some kind of strapping to keep them from lifting up.....but I have no experience with such things.