Solar on 30 year old fiberglass

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4RunnerBlues

Reaction score
Hi All, what is the recommended way of attaching solar panels on a curved fiberglass roof? I’m attaching photo of the 1990 Dodge extended conversion van. IMG_2619.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 13
single wall? double wall? laminated? my first choice would be a gutter mount rack. so you don't deal with putting holes in your top. highdesertranger

That makes sense. Don’t know about double, single or laminated. I’ll need a rack about 1-1/2’ tall. I found some expensive ones at vantech.com. Know of any other high racks?

I used flexible panels and stuck them down with industrial strength velcro. Just clean both surfaces before sticking it down. Mine are still on three years later. I ran my wires down inside the vent pipe and then drilled two holes for them to come out just inside. Sealed the holes and routed the wires to my charge controller that was on the same side of the van.

Here is my install: https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=15681

B and C: that looks very nice. What is the efficiency of the flexible panels after 3 years?

Efficiency? Dunno, they still keep my batteries charged. My system is pretty much set it and forget it. I don't look at the volts or amps coming in. The volts and amps in are always changing as altitude, season and clouds always interfere. I do take a quick glance as I step through the Trimetric to see if the batteries are getting back to 100% or not though. If the input looks too low or not getting back to 100%, I plug in the portable panels.

I have four 100 watt panels on my 20 year old fiberglass using VHB tape from 3M.
Been on for over two years, no trouble.