Solar mounting with no roof rack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTheoBennett

Reaction score
About a year ago I met up with Jaime outside Flagstaff and he was kind enough to help me install my solar panels on my minivan.  Now, the time has come to move them on to a new van.  My wife and I are hitting the road together beginning next week and are putting the finishing touches on our  full size van.  However, my minivan had a roof rack to mount to and my new van (a Dodge B3500) does not. 

Here is my plan as of now.  Please point out anything I'm doing wrong/better ways we could do this.  The Imgur link below shows a picture of my roof and my panel mounted on my current van for reference. 

1. Mounting - My panel (275w) has bolt different holes so I can adjust the mounting points.  Assuming they fit, I was thinking I would just pre-drill and then bolt the four corners through the horizontal ribs on the inside of the van roof with the Z brackets I already have.

2. Cabling/hardware - My minivan setup was super simple and I'll probably just replicate it. A quick hole underneath the solar panel to run the cables, sealed with some sort of silicone.  Then the wires from the panel to my charge controller (MidNite Solar Kid MPPT) and then to the batteries (2 GC2s)

3.  Should I ground?  I didn't before and didn't have problems, but I'd like to hear pros/cons.

On mine I attached the L brackets to the panel first, then place the panel on the roof and made a note where I had to drill, and thats where I drilled the holes and attached the L brackets, I didnt even think of looking for the horizontal ribs, but its been a solid installation never had problems with it, I did use rv putty tape on the holes and some sealant on the bolts. 
The roof itself is strong enough, just use big washers on the interior side. My panel actually sits about 3 inches from the roof (I had to clear a roof vent). I check it from time to time but its on there tight. You can always add more L brackets if you think they are needed.
I never grounded my panel, 5 years and never notice it needed it.

Look into 3M VHB tape.  I installed a system with it where the driver went under a low tree.  The Z brackets bent before the tape gave away.  

No drilling needed except for the pass through.

Get a long straight edge and check the curvature of the roof. My 87 dodge is curved in more than two directions. I used 'Super-Strut' to make mounting rails for my 4 panels.

Check out " into the mystery 13 " you tube video where he glued the panels onto his new van with NO SCREWS and it is holding fine ....

As GotSmart said, VHB tape by 3 M is the way to go.
After using this stuff I'd never use nything else to attach things to the roof, within reason of course.
It is used to hold windows in the tallest building in the world....
Good luck, bLEEp

The 3M VHB tape is described as a permanent bond. How will the panels be removed in the future if you want to move the panels to another car and sell the first car?

" An Unconventional Foam Tape

We invented 3M VHB Tapes in 1980 as the first of their kind. These unique tapes combine conformability with a strong, permanent bond. The result is a family of extraordinarily strong tapes that adhere to a broad range of substrates. 3M VHB Tape is a proven alternative to screws, rivets, welds and other forms of mechanical fasteners. Skyscrapers, cell phones, electronic highway signs, refrigerators, architectural windows and more all rely on this specialty bonding tape for one or more steps in the assembly, mounting, fastening and sealing process. This trusted and reliable tape offers a consistent bond, outstanding durability and excellent solvent and moisture resistance. 3M stands by all of its products and is there to provide you with design guidance and technical support when you need it. "

Simple.  Use fishing line to slice the tape, and rubbing alcohol to clean up the residual.  :D

^^^^
Ditto

I used 3M VHB double sided tape.

Bolt L-bracket to panel
Set Panel on roof
Mark where brackets will be
Clean roof & brkt with 0000-Steel wool and alcohol (per 3M)
Stick tape to brkt
stick tape /brkt/panel to roof (you should expose and stick one end of a panel at a time to the roof... cause there ain't no do-overs)

Gives you about an 1+ clearance under panel.
I've not had a issue through 0* - 110* temps and 8k miles.

BTW my roof is flat and aluminum and I used Renogy 100w panels.

NickTheoBennett said:
1. Mounting - My panel (275w) has bolt different holes so I can adjust the mounting points.  Assuming they fit, I was thinking I would just pre-drill and then bolt the four corners through the horizontal ribs on the inside of the van roof with the Z brackets I already have.
Hi!  I have solar on the brain.  May I ask about your 275w panel?  Specifically the model and size would be great.  I'm looking to replace a 100w panel if I can find more power in the same size package.  Congrats on the new digs!

I love the idea of just taping it and I trust the collective knowledge of this place, but it scares me a little bit to not have it bolted. I'm seriously considering it though.

Is this the correct tape?

https://www.amazon.com/Tape-RP25-wi...ie=UTF8&qid=1505624551&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+vhb

And just to clarify, you really only have to tape down the 4 small Z brackets, nothing else?

Also, I was wrong about the panel size, it's actually 265w. It's this one:

https://www.solar-electric.com/kyocera-ku265-6mca-265-watt-multicrystal-solar-panel.html

Panel size is consistent with power rating. 275w will be almost 3 times the size as 100W.

That is the proper tape.  You can also get plastic mounts instead of feet.  Look at the other solar parts and you will find them. 

Only the contact points need the tape.  Seriously, as long as the surface is cleaned, the tape will work. No bolts needed.

make sure you use 3M VHB. there are others of lessor quality. even 3M has different grades. highdesertranger

It does appear that there are different thicknesses of tape available on Amazon, ranging from .4mm for RP16 to 1.5mm for RP62.

I assume going with one of the heavier ones (https://www.amazon.com/Tape-RP62-wi...d=1505661430&sr=1-2&keywords=3m+vhb+tape+rp62) would be better? The prices are pretty similar, looks like $8ish for 5 yards of the thinnest stuff or just over $9 for 5 yards of the thickest.

It looks like those prices are for tape that someone has re-processed into a smaller than intended roll size. I assume none of that matters though. The only thing the reviewers complained about is that it is not one continuous piece. If I'm only using it on 4 tiny Z brackets though, I can't see how that would matter.

Latest posts