Soap Making

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SaltySeaWitch said:
I make Cold Process Herbal Soap, chap stick, lotions, and pretty much any and everything natural from herbs and essential oils. Not sure how to manage it in a van because of storing items and needing a place to cure my soaps, but I am sure I will find a way. Any other soapers out there? If so, how do you make soap while van dwelling? I could make it outside and then just find a way to cure and store it. Shouldn't be too hard unless I make enough to sell which I kind of would like to do.

My husband and I are in the midst of selling our small farm here in Indiana. We will then be going nomadic. I drive a 3/4 ton diesel ram pulling a 18' converted cargo trailer and he will be driving a 1 ton Dodge van.  I have been making jewelry for over 30 years and last year added soap making to my line up. I currently have a large website and will continue my business when we go on the road. Last fall I took a 6,120 mile road trip and did shows on my journey. I also made soaps in the cargo trailer when I was on the road. At that time, I didn't have the solar that I will have when we will have, so I made it when I was in place I could hook up to power. I also carried my entire inventory with me on my trip. I make / carry over 400 all natural soap, lotion, lip balm, sugar scrub, bath salt, pet products, etc., not even counting my jewelry. So I can tell you, it can be done. You may have to be creative about how you store your products and supplies, etc., but it is doable. 

Holliday Smith
TheBestSoapCompany.com

This situation for folks making their living by vending goods at various shows is the best one for minimizing tax burden. While traveling from show to show you are free to enjoy your van dwelling nomadic lifestyle while all the time mileage/meals/other costs are a direct expense against your business sales. Living off the tax laws, it doesn't get any sweeter than that!

There is no intent here to change the subject of this post; I got so caught up in the various stories of vending and making an income on the road I lost sight of the forest because of the trees. The purpose of my post was intended to be an extension of the "vending" chatter and not all meant to highjack this thread into a discussion of taxes or big government.

I will apologize in advance before Bob makes a comment. Sorry.

SaltySeaWitch said:
Hey BusGirl!!

Thanks so much for commenting. Man, I needed some encouragement in the bus search today lol.

I need the windows! Must have the sun :cool: Sky lights are a great idea!! So much you can do to a bus!

What size bus do you have? Diesel or gas? I would love to meet someday and make some soap together!

I was almost going to buy a van even though my heart says bus just because I am so tired of looking. So glad you posted. Thanks again!

Our bus is 35ft, Diesel.  Cummins engine with an automatic Allison transmission.  We are currently in Ohio for a couple of months, turning our house over to a realtor (being unsuccessful in our for sale by owner) and taking care of a few things including a couple of repairs on the bus.  We just returned from a 5200 mile trip (including the RTR) and loved our 2 months in the bus.  We are pretty basic...using alot of battery operated led lights and strings of solar lights.  We have just a small solar kit from Harbor Freight.  We do have a compost toilet  :) And a little wood stove even. Mostly we used stuff from the house and bolted it in! LOL.  But I loved being able to look out those windows at the mountains and through the skylights at the stars.  We are camphosting at Mirror Lake in Utah for the summer so if you make it up that way stop and see us!  Although we've had our share of roadbumps...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bus.  For us it is worth it.  Keep at it.  I found a lot of the buses on craigslist were tailgate buses (ours was) or nascar busses.  You'll probably see more of those in the spring, but if you aren't opposed to starting from scratch there are a lot of auctions and lots to check out.  My mom got hers (a Bluebird...94 i think) from a lot for $2500. I'm sure the right one will come to you!  Always follow your heart!

NomadicNotions said:
My husband and I are in the midst of selling our small farm here in Indiana. We will then be going nomadic. I drive a 3/4 ton diesel ram pulling a 18' converted cargo trailer and he will be driving a 1 ton Dodge van.  I have been making jewelry for over 30 years and last year added soap making to my line up. I currently have a large website and will continue my business when we go on the road. Last fall I took a 6,120 mile road trip and did shows on my journey. I also made soaps in the cargo trailer when I was on the road. At that time, I didn't have the solar that I will have when we will have, so I made it when I was in place I could hook up to power. I also carried my entire inventory with me on my trip. I make / carry over 400 all natural soap, lotion, lip balm, sugar scrub, bath salt, pet products, etc., not even counting my jewelry. So I can tell you, it can be done. You may have to be creative about how you store your products and supplies, etc., but it is doable. 

Holliday Smith
TheBestSoapCompany.com

Wow! That is very encouraging and inspiring!! I hope to meet you out there in the future. I would love to see all your soaps and jewelry! I will be checking out your website and keeping up with your travels if you post them on here.

speedhighway46 said:
There is no intent here to change the subject of this post; I got so caught up in the various stories of vending and making an income on the road I lost sight of the forest because of the trees. The purpose of my post was intended to be an extension of the "vending" chatter and not all meant  to highjack this thread into a discussion of taxes or big government.

I will apologize in advance before Bob makes a comment. Sorry.

I thought it was relevant to the thread speedhighway :D  Thanks.

BusGirl said:
Our bus is 35ft, Diesel.  Cummins engine with an automatic Allison transmission.  We are currently in Ohio for a couple of months, turning our house over to a realtor (being unsuccessful in our for sale by owner) and taking care of a few things including a couple of repairs on the bus.  We just returned from a 5200 mile trip (including the RTR) and loved our 2 months in the bus.  We are pretty basic...using alot of battery operated led lights and strings of solar lights.  We have just a small solar kit from Harbor Freight.  We do have a compost toilet  :) And a little wood stove even. Mostly we used stuff from the house and bolted it in! LOL.  But I loved being able to look out those windows at the mountains and through the skylights at the stars.  We are camphosting at Mirror Lake in Utah for the summer so if you make it up that way stop and see us!  Although we've had our share of roadbumps...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the bus.  For us it is worth it.  Keep at it.  I found a lot of the buses on craigslist were tailgate buses (ours was) or nascar busses.  You'll probably see more of those in the spring, but if you aren't opposed to starting from scratch there are a lot of auctions and lots to check out.  My mom got hers (a Bluebird...94 i think) from a lot for $2500. I'm sure the right one will come to you!  Always follow your heart!

I am so excited for you. My house didn't sell either. I am letting my son move in it for now. I know the right one (bus) is out there, just getting antsy :D I will definitely be following your journey and finding a way to cross paths with you so I can check out your bus!! Sounds like you are off to a good start and it will be a great adventure :cool:

SaltySeaWitch said:
I agree on the high top van. The extra storage (soap or not) just seems like it would be so useful. I am only 5'1", maybe 5'2" but want to be able to stand up too.

Thanks for the good tips everyone.

Buckwilk.... thanks for the link. Checking it out now. Shape shifter? Are you a Supernatural fan?
Supernatural...YES!
Buy or build a rolling stool. That's what I'm going to do.

Sabatical said:
Most of it ends up being gifted although occasionally she'll take a couple dollars a bar to help cover expenses.
If you're gonna be in AZ this winter (RTR and beyond) i'm sure you two can share notes.

CP (cold process) and HP (hot process) have the same ingredients, just different ways of making them.  A long time ago I did soap and the other day ran across the instructions.  I'll try and find them again.  When I downsized getting rid of my soap (and incense) supplies took me a long, long time.  There is a book I wish I had not parted with.  I also used to buy bulk bottles and jars and package them in sets of 12 and resell them online to soapers.  My biz then was called "Nature's Apprentice."  Also sold incense lamps and other cute small gifts and sometimes did the Rose Bowl swap meet.

Another idea to pass on to you crafters is I did a LOT of custom muslin bags. I used an iron and T-shirt transfers. I had several graphic designs and would do wedding couple names and dates and their wedding colors on the little bags to be filled with lavender for using instead of rice. I also sold a lot of bags to other soapers for their products and I sold my mini incense sticks in them. If you have a website and take orders online if you have the power for the iron this could be done. The bags are great bath salt bags, etc. There were at the time several places to get the bags wholesale if you have the seller's license. These bags were top sellers at the time.