Soap foam hand dispenser?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just use Dawn dish detergent (any dish soap should work) to refill mine.  Fill the bottle about 3/4 with water, add Dawn, screw in plunger (add more Dawn if room), shake and ready to use.  You may find it could use a little more or less of the Dawn to get satisfactory results for you.

Useful product +1

Vagabound said:
And now?

Vagabound

We still go through a bottle a week, but it's about 1/3 soap and 2/3 water.  So we've reduce the money we spend on soap by about two-thirds.
Most of the time I just use shower gel in it instead of soap.  The shower gel comes in a bigger bottle and lasts longer, and I usually like the scents better.

If he actually needed to use all that soap to wash his hands, I wouldn't mind, but one pump of soap is plenty.  It's not like he ever really gets his hands dirty.

After a couple days of use, still doing well. But I do find that the soap begins to separate from the water. Need to shake it back into solution. Not a big deal.
The Dr. Bronners soap is truly unscented, while the Soft Soap has a light scent. Of course you can get soaps with stronger scents if desired.
Wish I had found this setup earlier!
I am not unfamiliar with using "body wash" products either. Besides using some in recent years, one trick we used in USAF bootcamp to speed our showers was to use Prell brand shampoo as a body wash. Worked well. Need to see how it works in these type foaming bottles.

LeeRevell said:
After a couple days of use, still doing well.  But I do find that the soap begins to separate from the water.  Need to shake it back into solution.  Not a big deal.
The Dr. Bronners soap is truly unscented, while the Soft Soap has a light scent.  Of course you can get soaps with stronger scents if desired.
Wish I had found this setup earlier!
I am not unfamiliar with using "body wash" products either.  Besides using some in recent years, one trick we used in USAF bootcamp to speed our showers was to use Prell brand shampoo as a body wash.  Worked well.  Need to see how it works in these type foaming bottles.

You had to go and say "body wash", didn't you?!?  And right when I'm having Body Wash Post Partum Depression  ;-)  

Of the several things that I miss in my transition from far flung places back to the good ole U.S. and A. is my trusty Johnson and Johnson pH 5.5 Body Wash.  Other than just being really convenient and good hair and body soap all in one, it worked wonders for a skin problem I had, AND it was thankfully unscented.  Hate smelling like a cat house after taking a shower.  Not that cat, but that cat.  In any case, according to J&J, they don't sell it in the States.  The one U.S. product that I got hooked on while overseas is only sold overseas.  Very funny.  

Trying to replace it with something similar here, but so far, everything I've checked smells like the perfume department of a fancy store.

In any case, once I find it, I'll be putting it in some of those foaming dispensers.

Vagabound

P.S. - And don't get me started on AF boot camp stories.

Ok many comments... enjoying the thread...

Here:  
rolleyes.gif

No violence when I'm around!  No butt kicking for heaven's sake!  THIS IS part of the process you are in, what you have chosen to be a part of your experiences...  posting and reading here...  don't beat yourself up for it, embrace it!  
Clever.gif

I remember many times in the hospital as a child where they didn't let you take a shower (I hadn't had a shower before anyway, always baths)...and you were washed with soap, washcloth and pail of water...  I learned well how to keep clean that way from that!  But I prefer my solar shower anyway.  With todays' non-chemical wipes and waterless cleaners it should be even easier to stay healthy.  yeah.. also learned that soap is soap *unless it's like spic and span! *  they only market it as shampoo but it cleans your body too if you want it to... etc.  (think of "men's" safety razors versus "women's" safety razors :O)

I commented at a big boy scout camping that there were no handwashing facilities for the boys to wash their hands before lunch... no one seemed to care... I mentioned the hand cleaners and they couldn't figure it out...as in what would they do with the dirt after they used the waterless cleaner... so I opted for the wipes to show them.  Goodness! 

Bar soap is much less expensive.  Put it in a plastic netting (like onions can come in, or buy a yard of it at a fabric store and make several holders).  You can twist it up or even stitch it in if you want... make a tail long enough to tie up...netting helps gently scrub and soap dries quickly.   This is the same boilable plastic netting that you can use to sterilize your dishes after you wash them... boil a bucket of water on the campfire and dip the clean dishes and then hang to dry (very quickly!)  

HUA!

An update:

I ended up buying a combo pack of Dial liquid soap and a foaming dispenser sold together. I was quite happy with it in the beginning. And then I left it outside during freezing weather. Now, it kind of works, but not really. And the malfunction is kind of odd. What happens now is the plunger is very difficult to push down. But if you can push it down, foam will still come out.

So, be careful to store your soap foam dispenser inside  during cold weather.

Vagabound

V, I will keep that in mind.
My two foaming bottles are still working well. One with Dr. Bronner's and one with SoftSoap. Other than one is lightly scented (the SS), I see no difference between them.

Dr Jean, I've been a boy scout for most of my life. Many of the Scouts I know wash their hands, even when camping. Especially when cooking is involved. Just sounds like poor leadership, which does happen unfortunately.