So, Tents are OKAY in the LTVA ... sort of?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoMadYesHappy

Reaction score
I did a search and pulled a few threads on this topic, and I THINK I get it, but want to be sure before I weave any notions concerning LTVAs into my plans.

I currently have a small SUV and a tent ( I have hopes/plans for something more camper like, but this is what I have right now).

What I currently understand is that unless I have an "approved" black water system for my hygiene needs, I cannot stay at an LTVA ... with a couple of exceptions:

• A) I stay in an LTVA where there are vault toilet facilities AND I camp within 500 feet of said facility.  Or ...
  • B) I have an alternative system such as a composting toilet AND the attending Ranger opts to let me slide with that somewhat less than totally approved approach.

Have I understood correctly?
Are there other, more tent friendly solutions?

THANKS!  :)

I am currently in the Los Posas LTVA and you are correct, you must camp near a bathroom. There are several bathrooms in this LTVA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes basically you are correct. but I wouldn't count on the kindness of the ranger. La Posa does have several pit toilets last year the more remote ones only had a few tent campers around them. highdesertranger

What about self built "RV's" such as a van or a cargo trailer where a black tank (and all other amenities required to be called "self contained") has been installed? To my logic, it makes sense that it would meet the LTVA criteria. But, I seem to recall reading somewhere that it does not. I suppose I could call the Forestry folks and ask ... anyone know? ... have experience with passing Forestry LTVA muster in a home built, self contained RV?

I think that would be ok. We have two rvs, two vans, a pathfinder, and a transit bus in our camp in La Posa South LTVA. We aren't anywhere close to a bathroom. Been here a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
I think that would be ok. We have two rvs, two vans, a pathfinder, and a transit bus in our camp in La Posa South LTVA. We aren't anywhere close to a bathroom.  Been here a month.
Good to know!  :)