So I am in Casper Wyoming...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innkeeper17

Reaction score
Well I finialy did it and left the East Coast way behind me.  I had planned on meeting up with a veteran friend of mine.  So do to an unseen event he can’t make it out for another few months.  So what to do? Anybody have ideas?  I’m free to roam and plan to live out here for 6 months.  Is Yellowstone worth the drive up?  Any hidden gems I’m missing?  Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• A6C54C49-8B42-4801-933F-8C8B826F7FD0.jpeg
    A6C54C49-8B42-4801-933F-8C8B826F7FD0.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 28
Yellowstone is worth the drive from anywhere! Plan on spending at least two weeks if you want to see it all, hike the trails, etc. Just be prepared for summer crowds. Stop at Grand Teton National Park while you're in the area.

I have fond memories of Casper. I lived there for awhile in my teens. You could check out Casper Mountain...kinda scenic up there. 

You are not far from Sturgis and the Black Hills. The bike rally starts up in a few days...so there will be a lot of motorcycles in that area. 

Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Devils Tower, Custer State Park, The Badlands, Wall Drug, and of course, plenty of concerts, and the scenery on Main Street in Sturgis.

I like seeing Mt Rushmore coming from the east. There is a spot on the road where there is a small pullout and it’s right there. Pay money and do the visitor center thing. — There is another free parking lot where you can see george’s Face from the side. These are not hard to find since I can.
I like the drive through Badlands National Park.
The Crazy Horse monument (private) is around there.
Yes to Yellowstone and Tetons. Make the long walk from the huge yellowstone parking lot and do see Old Faithful. Not quite as faithful but still. Can walk around and see some others. There are signs saying what will be going off in “x” minutes.
Go inside the huge old lodge there, look up.
One time we got berry ice cream inside the lodge at a stand, found the way to go up a level then outside to a deck with benchs facing old faithful. Sun, Ice cream and old faithful. Cheap fun
You can circle all of Yellowstone, in and out the various entrances.
Devils tower more west.
Lots of National parks and monuments. Get a National pass or senior pass $80 but worth it
— when is the Oregon meetup? July ? If so now, but in August ? You could attend

Northeast out of Pinedale are the Wind River Mountains with several campground choices.

Farther up US191/189, past Bondurant, is Granite Creek. Lots of dispersed camping along the creek, a waterfall at the end of the road.

In Grand Teton NP, US89/26, turn east on Antelope Flats Road, then north on Shadow Mountain Road to Forest Road 30340. That takes to out of the park and into National Forest. There's dispersed camping there. Or take Triangle X Ranch road east from the highway the turn north on Forest Road 30310.

If you go to Yellowstone, get there really early, just before sunrise. Not only do you beat most of the crowds, the light is beautiful.

The Wind Rivers are incredible--I just got back from there, and Yellowstone, and Glacier, which I just can't get enough of.

Left photo is Glacier, right is Yellowstone.
2524b04588d113aaaa6f6c375266efd3.jpg
63119cf2aa7f5618fe5a753e3ab81e54.jpg

The Dire Wolfess

Thanks everyone. Kinda had a monkey wrench thrown in and this forum has given me great insite. Glad I found cheaprvliving.

I'd recommend heading into the Bighorn mountains. I spent a week car camping through the Bighorns in June years ago. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous. From there we headed east to Devil's Tower. The pics don't do it justice. There's a visitor's center and seeing the tower in person is really cool. It is huge!

Happy travels,
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

If you go to Yellowstone, go through Cody WY. They have a great plains Indian museum, and also a night rodeo.  ~crofter

OP is probably long gone, but here is my route: Casper, Jackson via Wind Rivers, Yellowstone, possible daytrip to Cody but "must" go out Hwy 212 to the northeast (incredible), Bozeman, Helena, Glacier (avoid Butte, Great Falls), then Glacier, Glacier, Glacier, Kalispell/Whitefish, then Missoula. From there it's wide open where to go, but I like Sawtooth Mtns/Stanley, Boise. From there, central Oregon and the Oregon coast (phenomenal). Finally, from there, just go around in circles for the next 3-months, :).