Snap On and Mac tool step vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kygreg

Reaction score
I have been looking at these tools trucks, they have some very nice features, but I'm not sure they are worth the extra money. They are aluminum body, already insulated, at least 1 AC unit, often 2, central heating, generator with big battery bank, and a lift gate in the back. (regular doors in back, not roll up.) Here is an example from my state, always stored indoors. http://forsale.tooltrucks.com/Vehic...rehouse-kept-mt45-one-owner-listing-6184.aspx

With the price of their tools, they should be able to ride around in luxury.

While they might not be worth extra funds for your needs they are good value for a lot of professional contractor businesses. They are ready to load in their tools, can run power tools on site with the generator, have excellent lighting, a wear resistant non skid floor covering and that great lift gate. That means a turn key situation and that my friend is worth a fair chunk of change to many professional companies.

Are they worth it to someone who wants to rip into them and turn it into a mobile crash pad? The truth is that it would almost be a crying shame for that to happen to these great, purpose built vans as they have so much built in value for their intended function.

If I could afford one I would get one but that is because I want to have a mobile workshop space because I make things and could make good use the original setup with only minimal modification.

Keep in mind that the suspension on those vans is designed to carry a very heavy load so the ride with a light load will be really rough. I turned an old GMC step van with rear dual wheels into a camper and it would jar your teeth loose on rough roads.

Are you pretty much city dwelling? At 16' and pretty wide your not likely to use this off road or boon docking./ Parking in towns, Just my thoughts.

As for the suspension, might be reasonable if it does ride to stiff to get a lighter weight rating set of springs put on.

My 2¢, It's a Mercedes engine. I've owned a couple sedans over the years and they do make a decent product. Just know you will be spending almost double for any part and work that needs done and not every shop will work on them. You can save some on labor if you DIY and have a full set of the right tools including everything metric.

Another factor to consider is most tool truck operators are in it for the long haul, and drive and treat their rigs accordingly. Chances are better the truck was maintained impeccably and not beaten, as one might find with a UPS van or large company that hires anyone with a heartbeat to drive their trucks.

For tool truckers, breakdowns cut directly into their pockets. I'd be fair to assume those trucks have a better chance of being cared for, like regular oil changes and all factory recalls and updates. Few tool guys will throttle hard and rail corners, if their livelihood is along for the ride.

In my opinion, these factors could make a retired tool truck worth a few extra bucks.

Respects, and best of luck with your build.

We lease them.
Believe it or not, they are being sold because they have reached a point of wear/age where it is no longer worth keeping.

And that thing has been HEAVILY worked, its entire life cycle. They never, ever, get a break from being loaded/overloaded. Every single mile driven.

Latest posts