SNAP and medicare

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurtleLife

Reaction score
My wife and I are both disabled, get SNAP, and use medicare and Medicaid. We're planning on domiciling in S Dakota and I was wondering how I would go about getting benefits there, or even if I can as a full-time RVer? What kind of expenses can I claim, like are things like Thousand Trails membership fees considered rent? Any info you can give would be great, I'd really be screwed if I lose my benefits.

Welcome TurtleLife to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

It is fairly easy to have a domicile in SD. Any mail service can help with that. Recommended is Escapees RV Club. But does SD even have medicaid? Or do they participate in federal SNAP program?

Just Google your questions "does SD even have medicaid? Or do they participate in federal SNAP program?" and you will find some results.

Weight said:
It is fairly easy to have a domicile in SD. Any mail service can help with that. Recommended is Escapees RV Club. But does SD even have medicaid? Or do they participate in federal SNAP program?

All 50 states have both SNAP and Medicaid. My question is more about eligibility and if there's any requirements to stay in the state for any length of time, iirc, if I want a SD CCP I have to stay there for thirty days.

I question the same thing about unemployment,
after a work camp job. You have to be available in the State you were in.
This is verified in a weekly claim. Or penalties. Plus, they have their orientations to attend, which for now are via phone.
You have to verify an address. Maybe the first year the temporary forwarding address would work.
That might be a flag though?

You are working out of state, not as someone that domiciles in the state. Some states will require you to pay state income taxes on what you make too.

notsosure said:
I question the same thing about unemployment,
after a work camp job.  You have to be available in the State you were in.
This is verified in a weekly claim.  Or penalties.  Plus, they have their orientations to attend, which for now are via phone.
You have to verify an address.  Maybe the first year the temporary forwarding address would work.
That might be a flag though?
Maybe that depends on the state. I worked in AZ and ND last year. I get unemployment from ND (with AZ kicking in also) while living in NM, using SD as my address. Everything done online. They list my ND unemployment office as Out of State. No orientations.

Also, you can apply for SNAP online using your mail forwarding address. SNAP can be used wherever you go, not just in your state of residence.

What is the reason driving your change of domicile? Why just not keep same domicile and travel?

I don't know about SNAP, but have worked with plenty of people on Medicaid. As far as being out of state, theoretically you're supposed to notify your Medicaid provider when you're gone for 30 days or more at a time. Notice that I said "theoretically ". But many Medicare/ Medicaid plans now have free virtual visits via your cellphone or computer. You can be in Timbuktu and get virtual medical care now. As far as prescriptions, if you're on Medicare/ Medicaid, if you have access to mail order, you're good. Otherwise you have to get your prescriptions in the state where your insurance plan is based. But that doesnt keep you from having a friend or relative picking up your prescriptions and then mailing them to you, wherever that is.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Some people say that I'm advocating breaking the law, but it's your conscience. Our society wants us to be anchored down into sticks & bricks, but many vandwellers can't afford even that, so if you're poor and stuck living in an RV or other vehicle, you'll be punished for not living in a tent on the streets. We all pick and choose what laws we keep (how many people never go over the speed limit or other "optional " laws?)
Happy travels,
Ted

justanothermaroon said:
Maybe that depends on the state. I worked in AZ and ND last year. I get unemployment from ND (with AZ kicking in also) while living in NM, using SD as my address. Everything done online. They list my ND unemployment office as Out of State. No orientations.

Also, you can apply for SNAP online using your mail forwarding address. SNAP can be used wherever you go, not just in your state of residence.
The unemployment must be different out West.  In the Midwest you have to come back for resume help also.  So far they are three months behind also.  Who knows what is to come with additional changes.  If you are working 32 hours you do not qualify.  I am curious how you received benefits from two States at one time?  Though I understand not wanting to say.

notsosure said:
The unemployment must be different out West.  In the Midwest you have to come back for resume help also.  So far they are three months behind also.  Who knows what is to come with additional changes.  If you are working 32 hours you do not qualify.  I am curious how you received benefits from two States at one time?  Though I understand not wanting to say.
I worked for 3 months in AZ in 2019, so they pay a portion of the ND unemployment. I only get one check each week.

Here's my experience with SNAP, it might be something to keep in mind. I am a resident of Florida (use my mom's house as my address and have my vehicle registered there) and was actually living there until about 5 months ago. I had to come back to Kansas for a little bit and have gotten stuck here due to $$. I only planned on being here for 2 or 3 months max. So I was getting SNAP food stamps in Florida, and just used them in Kansas because I was only planning to be here for a short period of time. When I went to renew them in Florida they denied my claim because I wasn't physically in Florida. The lady said that they do audit the accounts to see WHERE the benefits are being used. She didn't really specify the consequences of using them somewhere else, but implied that this was a bad thing. So I asked her what am I supposed to do if I travel for a good part of the year and am not physically in the state the whole year. She basically said I was SOL in so many words but wouldn't really give me a straight answer. Just something for you to look into!