small trail bike

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The GL500 was a great bike. I've done many long trips one one including Alaska about 5 years ago. But... no way would I try to carry one on a hitch carrier. It's a top heavy 400+ lb bike.

Another one to consider is a Suzukiy 650 Savage, a big Thumper sng cyl & usually cheap. I bought a nice one for my wife well over 10 yers ago for $500 & another for $400. The key to buying what you want cheap is see it first so scan the ads 1st thing & get there quick with cash, be nice & make a cash offer & remind them ow many people will call & not show, don't have the cash, want to trade a perfectly good car olny needs a tranny, etc. . Great deals are gone quick, poor deals last forever.

From "small trail bike" to 500cc & 650cc motorcycles...

That's why I'm pulling a 101" x 120" alum snowmobile tilt trailer. All deck with the tires underneath. Weighs 450# rated at 2500# no wasted wheel well area. I had a 20' steel but it was too long & didn't tilt. I bought 4 new 320 watt solar panels $50/ea from the lactory 60 miles away. I'll put them stacked on the trailer with the batteries, charge controller, set it in the sun, ambo in the shade & run shore power. When pulling the ambo has a 250 amp alt to keep them charged.

At one time I had a 5 cylinder ile a Honda Valkyrie 6, cyl, 6 carb hot rodded gold wing the got 25 mpg & a 3 cyl Geo car that got 50 mpg. That car saved me twice what I payed for the bike.

Small trail bike - TTR-125 big wheel or any of the 140-160 4 strokes. BUT my choice would be the might KLX 250 because its a true dual sport and can be tagged. Whole lot of trail bike but wprth it and holds resale very well.

anything with a front fender that sits low like in the pic above is either very old or not a trial bike. my 2 cents. highdesertranger

I don;t usually defend JD but what he has brought up here is that there are a lot of those 80’s style city bikes around even new ones like Suzukis Gn 125 or 250, with low miles that nobody wants, for very good prices. While they are not trail bikes as such but for puttering around in the bush or across the desert exploring the countryside on dirt roads going to get groceries they would work adequately and the lower cc ones are fairly light.

I've deleted posts that were snarky and argumentative. Please review our guidelines for posting

I went with a 2015 Suzuki DR200S. I would have preferred a Kawasaki KLR250, but they were not manufacturing them at that time. Weight is under 300 lbs. I can load/unload onto a hitch carrier solo. Does 65mph on pavement. Gets 57mpg with a 2.6 gal. tank.

If I didn't prefer a traditional motorcycle, I might have looked more into the Yamaha TW200.

Stayed at Parker Shea Rd. dispersed in March. Rode up Swansea Mine Rd. Did not go to the mine. Went back down and had fun with the curves on Shea Rd. In Pahrump and Amargosa Valley the only curves on pavement are on Bell Vista.

JD,
I was constructively pointing out that the thread had gotten way off topic from the OP's quest for a "small trail bike", as in the thread's title.