small trail bike

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike7300

Reaction score
Hi everybody. Looking for small motorcycle to either tow or mount on back of 1 ton chevy van. Any suggestions on engine size or make? Just want something to putt around on while out boondocking. Thank you so much for all your help.

Welcome. Why don't you post over in the newcomers area and tell us a bit about yourself and to get a proper welcome?

I started out towing my harley fatboy (in a trailer). It didn't take long to realize I hardly ever used it and it wasn't all that great in the boonies on gravel and dirt. It worked but not well. My bad knee now makes it hard to even hold upright when stopped. I digress. I found I used it very little and still had to have tags and insurance on it. It now sits in the backyard waiting for the son to start using it. It wasn't handy for running into town for supplies either. I am now considering a Rad Mini motorized bicycle as my run around the area with. A friend has one (featured on one of Bob's YT videos) that I have riden some. I am seriously looking at one for my next travels. It can be folded up and carried on the back pretty easy. I stopped pulling the trailer after I got myself in a bind on a two track road and had to turn around. Barely made it out. No more trailers for me. I even pulled a Geo Tracker convertible for a little while but finally figured out that it wasn't worth the hassle and I didn't leave camp very often.

The old Honda Trail 90 was perfect for that, unfortunately they don't make them any longer. I have a 1968 that I usually haul with me.

Thought you were looking for one but sounds like you already have it. Still have to tag and insure it. The Rad Mini is an electric bicycle that can be charged off solar so no carrying around extra gas cans.

I ought a 6..5 hp fat tired Boonie Bike style on ebay for $499/shipped with fromt supension. You may not know what a Heald Boonie bike is as they were made local to me & I still have a front ski. This a a small snomobile type variable speed clutch like a CVT on a car. Like this only with front suspension & front & rear racks, made by Coleman. Here's the Ebay # you have to cut & paste eBay item number:223173849132
It gets confusing as Heathkit was also local & one bought the other out.

I find a small ATV indispensable. ATV's are much easier to ride and can carry gear or groceries with ease. highdesertranger

What a coincidence!  The son and I are in the process of putting one back together.  New throttle cable will be in today.  A little cable dress up. then just the fenders, pseudo gas tank and headlight to go.  Fenders and tank will be painted olive drab and add a white star to both sides of the tank.  Got it far enough together that the son took it for a short spin.

6.5 horsepower and a top speed of 24 MPH.  

Trail Bike.jpg

Attachments

• Trail Bike.jpg
    Trail Bike.jpg
    248.9 KB
B&C mines just like it only red with front & rear racks, I'll have a hitch going to the swing arm to pull a lightweight bicycle trailer for my targets for ELRS.

cool B and C. looks like a Bull Taco with a Honda engine. it appears to also have a jack shaft, does it? as a kid I had a Bonanza highdesertranger

I have no idea who made it. The son got it (in pieces) from the mother in law. Yep, gear reduction. When the son took it for a spin in the backyard Friday night, he said it pulled the front tire when he goosed it. Not built for speed with the jack shaft reduction and with those big and wide knobbies but would work well off road. It is too heavy for me to even think about throwing on a cargo carrier on the back. It must weigh at least 150 pounds. Also, I doubt if I could ride it into town as I don't think it is street legal anywhere. The motor is also fairly loud. No chance of seeing any animals riding it.

These are the reasons the Rad Mini appeals to me.

Here an OTV sticker is all you need for state or federal land & thise are over the counter at hardware & chain storeswith no paperwork. I have a 150cc scooter also, for the road which I have to get at the DMV good for 3 years.

Not bad unless you may want to go to town. Scooter at DMV? Must be street legal then and hopefully you have insurance on it.

I have a TW200 Yamaha, I like it for a few reasons, it is easy to work on, light to push around, been manufactured since 1987 with very little changes, the newer ones have fuel injection and no kick starter. Parts for it are all over the place. It will crawl along in 1st and can do 60 + in 5th. You can re gear it with different sprockets and make it slower or faster if you are intending to do more highway or want a tractor. I have a top box, windshield and saddle bags so I can do a big shop and carry it with no issues. Two up does not seem to change much. It is low to the ground so would not suit a very tall person. Maintenance is easy and cheap.

Here is a photo of it without the saddle bags19FE9DFE-89F8-4073-A850-792ED4D6B445.jpeg

Attachments

• 19FE9DFE-89F8-4073-A850-792ED4D6B445.jpeg
    19FE9DFE-89F8-4073-A850-792ED4D6B445.jpeg
    1.8 MB
Arizona will let you street legal almost anything, of course you must get it insured. the insurance is very reasonable though mine is 140 bucks a year for 2 ATV's.

where I go it's almost universal that they let you ride ATV's into town. many rural counties are passing laws allowing you to ride ATV's on the streets. just not on interstates, US Highways, and state highways.

highdesertranger

I had a 2WD Rokon with tractor tires would walk over any car, a 55 gal drum,walk up a tree until a foot off the ground, had hollow wheels you could haul fuel or if empty would float with thhe rider & paddle along with the tire lugs at 5mph. It was when they used the little Chrystler 2 stroke go cart engine. A Honda 110 3 wheeler is good also & common, hi/low tange tranny, no clutch & will float if the rider slips off the back & lets it pull him.
I had planned on building an Army mule except an automatic in front on a manual trans. So 2 range transfer case a 4 speed manual so 8 ranges & 3 or 4 speed auto. You could crawl or fly & have 4 wheel steering & a big flat deck on top. I'm near where the made LUV tractors from Model T parts & Friday tractors from Chrystler parts with dual tranny's like that & they'd go faster than you would dare. The 25-06 was invented here as well as fishing lures at Hedden. Neidner Arms also & we almost bought Tom Shelhamers house, the best stock maker ever. Lots of history here.

The key ambiguous term is " putt around".
As well as your personal preference, experience, riding type and distance, and budget.
What exactly is putt around to you?
I haul and putt around while boondocking on a 700 street, with 600 street, 600 supermoto and 250 dual sport previously.
Others do it on electric, moped, minibike, trail, cruiser or dual sport of varying sizes, which you will all see on the back of RVs.
There's no one single answer, more input from you can help narrow down the choices.

I do like Arizona but there are a LOT of other places out there to see. Idaho is turning into my favorite state. I never would have thought it though. Don't ever want to spend a winter there.

I have an electric bike which goes 20mph with no dedeling & goes 20 miles on one charge. Folds into & is li=ion. A guy stopped last yeaar & offered me the bike & $500 to deer hunt so he left the bike said he'd brin the $$ next week, never seen him again. I can't go fast & my 4 wheeler is a step thru because of my back.