Small Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kat_

Reaction score
Please know that my knowledge of all things electric is limited to how to replace lightbulbs.  And somehow I’ve managed to not always be successful with that.  Lol 
I don’t know a damn thing. 
So if your kind enough to answer, please keep it simple ... 

I have an offer from someone to trade with me a small generator. I car camp at this time (travel and sleep in my car, occasionally tent) the generator has “800 running watts, 900 max watts”  and 63 CC. 

The actual size of the generator is good as far as fitting in my car.  I wouldn’t want anything larger. 
I don’t have solar, I depend on charging things (laptop, iPad, camera equipment, phone, portable speaker, back up USB battery back ups, etc) while driving using my USB ports. This works but can be a real pain in the ass as I don’t always drive enough to get it all charged. Of course, it always seems that the one thing I need is never charged enough.  Nothing more frustrating than to see something I’d like to photograph, pull over and just a few minutes in, realize my camera battery is about dead. Lol. 

Anyway, this trade offer has come up, the trade as far as value is a good on on my end. 

My question is what will a [size=medium]800 running watts, 900 max watts generator do for me? And will I need to buy anything extra (tight budget over here)?  I know people use some kind of battery to store energy from solar, can I do the same with a small generator? Is that a reasonable thing to do?  If it is, what do I need and how much will it cost? [/size]

[size=medium]The one thing I’d really really like that I don’t have now is to be able to run a fan either in my car or in a tent.   [/size]

[size=medium]Thanks for helping me out, [/size]

well if you are charging now off USB ports, then that generator is overkill. however paired with a second battery and charger it could work, on the other hand solar would be my choice. highdesertranger

Solar for me, too. Gennies take up space, require gas to run, and make enemies of everyone within earshot.

Solar is silent, and it charges all the time--even if I'm not there.

:)

The ideal is both.

But of course only if you will need it.

A good ventilation fan does use a fair bit, certainly more than charging little gadgets.

A battery bank will cost a couple hundred. A bit more for a decent solar starter kit.

As far as the immediate decision, look up the new price of that genny.

If it's quiet and starts reliably, then I'd trade up to a value of half or less the new price.

63 cc is the size of the Harbor Freight 2 stroke generator.  If that is what it is it is small and rather loud.  When they go on sale they have been as cheap as $89.

To use a generator to charge your stuff you will need a battery charger to charge your car battery from the generator to keep the car battery from becoming depleted.  Then you can use an outlet strip with a half dozen 120 volt USB chargers and lap top power cords.  You can use 12 volt powered USB chargers.

A small enough fan can be run off the car battery overnight silently.  

That generator can work.  What I did was upgrade the starter battery in my mini van then I added a solar panel.

With a generator you must carry fuel. In a car I'm thinking it will not be pleasant. Walmart has many small battery operated fans that would work well for you. A set up with a small deep cycle battery to be charged from your alternator while driving, may prove to be enough for your needs.

Look into one of the larger jump start battery packs that have a small inverter built in. Serves teo purposes and will keep your USB devices charged no problem. Charge it as you drive or plug it in while you can. You can get them for under $100

Sorry if this sounds silly, but ... you couldn't just get more USB power packs? So you could have some in reserve on those days you don't drive enough? Their prices have plunged on Amazon. And the newer ones charge pretty quickly. And they're so small and light and easy to store.

When you're charging from your car, how many are you charging at a time?

When I'm traveling in my truck without the trailer, I use a 300 watt inverter (get them at truck stops, it's how truckers run 110 stuff) that plugs into my 12 volt (cigarette lighter) plug. While I'm driving I plug a power strip into that, and I plug all of my devices (computer, phone, camera, etc) into the power strip, plus a couple of power bricks to store energy for when I'm not driving. When I get where I'm going, I'm all charged up! No fuss, no muss, no loud and smelly generator. I'm working on solar for the trailer, and eventually will put some on the roof of the truck too, but for now I'm traveling light and fast, and this very simple system works just fine. The only thing I wish I had a storage battery for is the 12 v fan, which will run the starter battery down if I don't remember to start the engine once in a while.

The Dire Wolfess

Latest posts