Smad 12 volt Fridge/Freezer reviews?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thought. Techie stuff, so just skip if not so inclined

You may already know that the startup/surge current every time that compressor cycles can be many times greater than what it's usually pulling continuously.

The control systems on these little OTS units may only be running the compressor 10 minutes out of every hour, but it might be starting up and shutting down eight times per hour in order to keep the temp within a narrow range (hysteresis).

At 190 times per 24 hours, the startup/surge issue may cause overall AH consumption to be higher than it needs to be.

Now I'm not suggesting you do this yourself, unless you'd enjoy the science project aspect, but

as has been outlined in "converting a dorm fridge to 12V" threads here and elsewhere,

one could put a cheap internal DC thermostat in the fridge controlling a relay on the power circuit

and widen the hysteresis range, so the compressor keeps running for longer periods of time, and then stays off for longer as well, reducing the # startups per day from 190 down to below 30 or so, assuming you don't open the box too often

Of course, this may actually *decrease* overall energy efficiency, would need to A/B test with a decent AH logging meter.
Sorry for the derail, but some may find it interesting even if it doesn't help your specific issue ATM.

I cut the plug end off the power cord and connected my Indel-B directly to the fuse panel. Those cigi plugs are mostly a problem. I have the same box and find it plenty big enough. The power use of the fridge is easily handled by my solar. I think my alternator would be enough to return what little the fridge uses. If I have any complaint it is on those xtra humid days, there is some water to dry with a paper towel inside the Indel-b.