Sleeping solution? Maybe!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingZombies

Reaction score
20210909_115932.jpg I've been brainstorming since I'm back at my home base and looking in the back of the bronco which as you may know is kind of short for me to sleep in but I may have come up with a solution. I talked to a construction buddy of mine and we're going to attempt a build out. And not to worry I'll include pictures LOL, I attached a picture of the back of the truck empty.

Attachments

• 20210909_115932.jpg
    20210909_115932.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 30
Got the side back windows covered in reflectix. Using gorilla tape to put it up and will be covering the rear window as well when I get more tape tomorrow. Also going to start with the build tomorrow. Will be taking pictures and videos of the progress.

Attachments

• 20210909_161606.jpg
    20210909_161606.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 18
So nice to have all that extra space underneath for storage and a substantial platform to spread out on.

How excited are the puppers?.

The dogs haven't been up there I just got back by from getting memory foam. But they were pretty anxious to go check it out. They're definitely going to love being able to sleep next to us again.
The added weight from build of the bed is less than 150 lbs

It doesn't look like much room in the picture but we all slept pretty well, I will be adding another 2 inch topper for extra padding but so happy we can finally stretch out while sleeping.  :D

Attachments

• 20210911_082106.jpg
    20210911_082106.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
Stretching out in sleep is key for me so if ya got that, great move on your part to make it happen as you need!
Love the pooch pic!! too cute :)

We've been mostly sleeping in the front seats every now and then we'd have a tent that we try out. Just added another 2 in memory foam topper for total of 4 in which is so much more comfortable. The dogs just love it.

So important for travelers to be well rested. Your driving safety coefficient just spiked.

My bed completely sucks and is so tiny. I don't even think a dog would be comfortable on mine. Hammock or bed, hammock or bed... oh . I know.. I'll have both...LoOl... and now both are half-asped.

Just watched again.. and noticed that the platform extends out at the back as well?

I agree with stretching out when sleeping. :). I read all your posts, I am going now to watch your videos. Your story is the perfect example of adjusting your rig as you go. Trial and error. I personally changed my sleeping arrangements 3 times before I was happy.

desert_sailing said:
So important for travelers to be well rested. Your driving safety coefficient just spiked.

My bed completely sucks and is so tiny. I don't even think a dog would be comfortable on mine. Hammock or bed, hammock or bed... oh . I know.. I'll have both...LoOl... and now both are half-asped.

Just watched again.. and noticed that the platform extends out at the back as well?
No, it ends at the lift gate. Flips down in the front only. I would have made it so I flipped down both seats. The driver seat is broken and doesn't move forward.

So I've been busy coming up with this idea trying to figure out how to make it work and then spent the whole day yesterday building it with a friend of mine that my wife kindly reminded me that today was our 22nd anniversary.

Happy anniversary & congrats on staying married while dwelling.

When I stayed in my pickup (bunk was in the cab) I made the big dog sleep in the front seat. Other than random horn honks, worked out well. And anyone checking got the dog teeth. Smile.
-crofter