Sleeping on a cot - opinions?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clark.walliser

Reaction score
I'm just getting started on outfitting my Dodge Grand Caravan for part time RVing.
I purchased a Coleman ComfortSmart Deluxe cot to use for sleeping to maximize space.
Everything I'm reading is big on installing full size beds, but nothing on cots.

Has anyone out there experienced sleeping on a cot in their van?

If not, I'll probably take my first shakedown trip in about 4 weeks. So I'll be able to tell you more after that.

Memory foam on plywood for me.

Numerous vids with cots in the minivans though.
-crofter

I have a 30 inch wide bed which I made. (cots are usually 24")
I bought a mattress for a single (twin) bed 36" , and I cut it to size to fit the bed.
It is wide enough for me.

I believe Bob has a video of how to use pieces of plastic pipe on the legs to make the cot sit level in his no build build series for mini vans.

I had an extra large cot from Cabelas in my 94 g20 Chevy van. The cot was very comfy but also very large. When I bought my current van, I did the usual 2x4, and plywood bed. It has a smaller footprint but more storage underneath.

Good luck with your cot.

I built a rope bed today! I had a platform bed with a futon but it was just to rigid for me. I made it 30" wide and it is just the right size for me and allows for room to move around my van. I had my years on a cot while in the Army. For me, cots would be too light weight and would move around while you drove. Do you take it down each day or secure it somehow?

In one of my builds I started out with a 24" wide cot, but it drove me crazy because my arm kept falling down off the cot because it was not wide enough. I would almost fall asleep, and my arm would fall down and wake me up. Then I got a 30" wide cot and it was very comfortable and wide enough. As far as length goes, I like to have 80" of space. That lets me stretch out my feet and put an arm over my head. But the cot doesn't have to be 80". I can hang my feet over a bit, or put something like a crate or cooler to support my feet.

I used a large-sized heavy duty mil-spec cot in my van and pickup camper. In my opinion, way better and way more comfy than a mattress on plywood. Much lighter, easy to move if needed. I had mine secured to the inside 'wall'.

I slept inside (or occasionally on top of) a sleeping bag and placed that on top of a couple of foam sleeping pads, laid over the cot. It was very comfy, and I slept well.

Yep, that's very similar to what I have...and just FYI, it's very easy to prop up the head end if you prefer that, depending on the angle that your rig is parked at when you go to bed at night.

Plus, plenty of room underneath for plastic storage totes.

At any rate, mine worked well.

Does anyone know if a 30 inch cot will it in a Grand Caravan with the narrow third row seat set up?

I was thinking of leaving a seat in my van and going with a narrower bed.

My Walmart cot was too wide. Instead I now use a folding chase lounge (seen at beaches everywhere). On that I put two tri-fold mattresses....wouldn't fit folded out, so left it folded and used two. On that is an egg-crate foam topper. Super comfy and I can take the chaise lounge out easily and use it in the SUV tent or just to lounge at a campsite or beach.

clark.walliser said:

A cot can be pretty comfortable. Only negative is that it can be cold because, like a hammock, the fabric cover is not much of a barrier to cold air beneath you. You can buy a foam mattress sized for a cot, and solve that problem.

I prefer a twin size platform bed, because I can fit more storage underneath it. But if you like the cot better, it's your van and you can sleep in it any darn way you want to!

Yes to sleeping on cot. There are "caveman" and "lumberjack" cots that are super heavy, wide and long duty and a fraction of the weight of 2x4's and 3/4" OSB. Put a 4" memory foam and sleeping bag  on it and you will be warm and comfy.

For quite a while I slept on an inexpensive canvas, alloy framed cot and each morning collapsed it away into its not so small bag for more space.

Now I use a Helinox cot one convertible with a high leg extension set which packs away into such a small and light bag that nobody believes that there's a bed in it!

For seating I use a Helinox swivel chair, which also packs away into a tiny bag and a WalkStool Comfort 55/22 (and yes, this too has its own tinier bag, but I keep it in a soft tripod case).

As I invariably only use the bed, chair or stool one at a time it makes sense to have stuff packed away until needed, to make better use of space.

If I want to sit down when everything is packed away I use my BranQ BBQ Bucket whose lid is a seat rated way above my body weight!

The nice thing about one's furniture not being fixed is that it doesn't take up much space when packed away and each one can easily be taken outside or someplace else (as they're each designed to do) if you choose to.

It works for me!

Edited to correct typo!

I have a disc-o-bed bunkbed. I sleep on top with a 4" mattress, 30" wide. The bottom is for storage. It is more expensive than most cots but very sturdy. I have to use a step stool to get up into it. That said, I want to remove it and use something else eventually. Some kind of platform bed with storage underneath would be good.

[I'm actually not using that right now as I've moved into a travel trailer for a while.]

clark.walliser said:
I'm just getting started on outfitting my Dodge Grand Caravan for part time RVing.
I purchased a Coleman ComfortSmart Deluxe cot to use for sleeping to maximize space.
Everything I'm reading is big on installing full size beds, but nothing on cots.

If not, I'll probably take my first shakedown trip in about 4 weeks. So I'll be able to tell you more after that.

Let me know how it goes. I was thinking about doing the same thing, rather than building a fixed bed.

Walmart and other places sell platform frames that some have used for this. The larger bed sizes come in two frames, one of which is cot size.