Sleeping/keeping warm without heat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I didn't see any threads on this topic, so I figured I'd share what has worked for me.

One of the best additions to my setup has been a cheap 45 degree roomy synthetic sleeping bag with slippery innards. It's light and thin enough to be super easy to roll up and put out of the way or pull out again. You know when you're sitting around going "hmm, it's a little chilly in here"? Where other people might turn on the heat, I shimmy into this, clothes and all (minus shoes). It's often sufficient to keep me plenty warm, is super easy to get into and out of thanks to the slippery insides and thin walls. On cold nights I unzip it and toss it over my main sleeping bag when sleeping, and on ridiculously cold nights I actually nest them inside each other.

My main sleeping bag is a synthetic 0 degree rated bag with plenty of foot room and a flannel-like interior. Having hated sleeping bags all my life, it was essential for me to find something actually warm and comfortable. I've been really impressed with the TETON sports 0 Degree sleeping bag, which you should be able to get for $50 at retailers. Non-short folks will want the larger version.

I knew synthetic was the only way to go so that it wouldn't lose its insulating properties when damp. It hasn't disappointed and let me tell you I've seen ridiculous dampness. As in, cardboard is soggy just from the air. Yeah.

I often like to sleep in the nude so I picked up a cozy $5 sleeping bag liner to protect my main bag from requiring washing. I generally keep it inside the bag and just role up the entire thing to stow away each morning. I'll also sometimes put the liner in my small EDC pack and use it when watching movies at a friend's house or similar places where I might get too cold.

The ability to stack, mix, and match has made my warmth/sleep system really work for me. "Real" bedding sounds nice in theory, but for about $70 total I got everything I need to keep me warm without heating or nice bedding or warm clothes. Not for everyone, and I'm sure my system will evolve (just got heavyweight thermals, yay!) but it's one person's version of what works.

Thank you Bitty!! Good seeing you around again. :) I have debated on whether or not to bring my older but trusty sleeping bag with it's slippery innards along with me on my travels, but you have convinced me it would be a good idea to take it.

Stay warm!

For the past month, with subzero (Celsius) weather, all I've need is 1 comforter, 2 wool blankets in denim duvet covers, and my dawg. Haven't bothered turning on the furnace. ..Willy.

Another nice addition to a sleeping bag system for cold weather is a small fleece blanket (or even a towel). Put it over the top of your head and down around your shoulders to stop drafts from coming in the sleeping bag.

Bitty said:
cheap 45 degree roomy synthetic sleeping bag with slippery innards.... clothes and all (minus shoes)....

I often like to sleep in the nude...
I agree about not using heat.  I don't camp much in the cold, but when I do I don't usually have heat.

In my humble opinion, the secret to being comfortable in the cold is a union suit and stocking cap.  You lose a lot of body heat through your head, even though your head isn't cold a hat keeps the rest of your body warmer.  I have a regular union suit, and an extra "double" one, which is warmer.  They're always in the van, just in case.  If I ever got really cold, I'd wear them both. 

skyl4rk said:
Another nice addition to a sleeping bag system for cold weather is a small fleece blanket (or even a towel).  Put it over the top of your head and down around your shoulders to stop drafts from coming in the sleeping bag.

I find I like to control drafts by pulling the bag itself up and over my head, leaving a small "hole" to breathe out of. My main bag has a "hood" and two different drawstrings that make this easy, one reason I love it!

I almost forgot - on really cold nights I also have a loosely knit beanie that I wear pulled down over my nose to keep it warm. That also makes a big difference.

Bitty said:
My main sleeping bag is a synthetic 0 degree rated bag with plenty of foot room and a flannel-like interior. Having hated sleeping bags all my life, it was essential for me to find something actually warm and comfortable. I've been really impressed with the TETON sports 0 Degree sleeping bag, which you should be able to get for $50 at retailers. Non-short folks will want the larger version.

Thanks Bitty (& Lee). I've been eyeing that very sleeping bag for a few months now. Glad to hear 2 endorsements of it. It now goes on the LIST of things to buy.

Cheers

good thread bitty. imho you must , I will repeat MUST be able to stay warm without an artificial heat source. it's not just a matter of comfort but survival. although I prefer down(from my backpacking days), synthetic works fine. highdesertranger

I have a couple slumberjack bags with busted zippers that I use as a mattress, two fleece blankets from Wally World, and I use my backpack bag over top as a blanket (Mont Belle down hugger, great for people like me that toss and turn). Have no heat and only got real uncomfortable the couple days it went below zero. Insulating the truck is high on my priority list right now.

I sleep nude. Except for Socks. I can't sleep without socks, for warmth! Is that weird or what?
Until the temps hits the 90s, I'm wearing socks to bed. I read somewhere that most people that wear socks to bed fall asleep faster & sleep better. shrugs.
Add a beanie, that rolls down low on my face, for cold temps. But I will wear my themals to bed if really cold, & strip 'em off asap.

I'm taking HighDesertRangers' advice to heart. I'm gunna find a another layer, to stuff back into a corner until needed. I have been thinking that, if needed, I could heat water, & make a hot water bottle. But that isnt a fool-proof (or tested) plan.

cdiggy said:
I have a couple slumberjack bags with busted zippers that I use as a mattress, two fleece blankets from Wally World, and I use my backpack bag over top as a blanket (Mont Belle down hugger, great for people like me that toss and turn). Have no heat and only got real uncomfortable the couple days it went below zero. Insulating the truck is high on my priority list right now.

It's a lot cheaper and easier to insulate yourself and use a heater.

Most of us already have a camp stove, and they make marvelous heaters.

In my s&b this winter when it dropped to -20f outside my space heaters couldn't keep up so I lived in a couple layers of flannel top and bottom with a tank top under the top, plus a big terrycloth robe, two pairs of socks, and a scarf wrapped over my head to cover my ears and neck too and so that I could pull it up to cover my nose. I had gloves handy if I needed em. If I had thermal underwear that fit I would have worn that instead of one layer of flannel so it was less bulky.

For sleeping I exchanged the robe for a couple blankets, one long enough to wrap up around my head. My warmest blanket is one I picked up at some roadside vendor back in the 70s---you know the ones with the different animal pictures on em.

I've got a sleeping bag from the 60s or 70s rated to go to -20 that I've already got on my list of things to keep for the road, and I'm definitely keeping that old, now really ugly, blanket that's kept me warm many times.

The sleeping bag liners are a great idea. We made the ones for our sleeping bags out of sheets---just stitched up the foot area and halfway up the open side. I think I'll probably make a liner out of flannel or fleece to have along too.

I may have looked funny with all my gear on, but I stayed warm and that's the point. Oh, I nearly forgot something that could be important. I read something similar either on Bob's blog or another blog or here. I'm going to take a piece of fleece that's big enough to drape over the sleeping area similar to the way they always had the heavy curtains around the beds in the big old drafty castles to keep the body heat concentrated in that smaller area.

When not in use the spare blankets can be stored in pillowcases to make extra pillows or underneath bedding to make more padding. My sleeping bag has to be stuffed into it's own sack and makes a great pillow when stored too.

I've been sleeping in my uninsulated van through a pretty harsh New England winter. I use a hammock; have a Mr. Heater Buddy unit, but only use it for changing into bed clothes at night and then into street clothes in the AM. To get through a night:

30 deg F+: middle-weight sleeping bag (rated to +15degF), long underwear, camp pad.
10-30 deg F: heavy weight sleeping bag (rated to -20degF), camp pad, doubled over moving pad, long underwear which includes socks and a hoodie.
-10-10 deg F: as above, plus comforter rigged as under insulation, tented blanket above, and an additional layer of long underwear.

This keeps me toasty on very cold nights with no heat running. If it got much below -10degF, I'd run the heater through the night.

mconlonx said:
I've been sleeping in my uninsulated van through a pretty harsh New England winter. I use a hammock; have a Mr. Heater Buddy unit, but only use it for changing into bed clothes at night and then into street clothes in the AM. To get through a night:

30 deg F+: middle-weight sleeping bag (rated to +15degF), long underwear, camp pad.
10-30 deg F: heavy weight sleeping bag (rated to -20degF), camp pad, doubled over moving pad, long underwear which includes socks and a hoodie.
-10-10 deg F: as above, plus comforter rigged as under insulation, tented blanket above, and an additional layer of long underwear.

This keeps me toasty on very cold nights with no heat running. If it got much below -10degF, I'd run the heater through the night.

After doing the same in NJ you get major props... Had some pretty brutal nights in the negative numbers in an uninsulated step van. Anything under 5 degrees was *umcomfortable*

anewbiewannabe

" I'm going to take a piece of fleece that's big enough to drape over the sleeping area similar to the way they always had the heavy curtains around the beds in the big old drafty castles to keep the body heat concentrated in that smaller area."

I believe it's the Mongols that do something similar. They build a tent box over their bed & take a candle to bed with them.

I made a tent over me with a canvas luggage carrier that wasn't being used. I was comfortable with it and several blankets in Oct. in Yellowstone. Not as dire a situation as above but does trap heat escaping from you close to you.

I saw a fellow who used a mylar (Emergency Blanket type) tube tent with a heavy comforter draped over it.

For me I'll stick to my 12v electric blanket.

mconlonx said:
I've been sleeping in my uninsulated van through a pretty harsh New England winter.

I use a hammock.

I've tried hammock camping, and I have NEVER slept better in my entire life.  
BUT I can't seem to make it through even half the night without leg problems, and then leg problems for days afterwards.  WhatupwiffDat? 

One of the things that attracted me to hammocking was the zip-top-covers & fully enclosed socks.  Brilliance!!  

Can I ask you for details on how you hang a hammock in your van?  

flailer said:
BUT I can't seem to make it through even half the night without leg problems, and then leg problems for days afterwards.  WhatupwiffDat? 

One of the things that attracted me to hammocking was the zip-top-covers & fully enclosed socks.  Brilliance!!  

If it hurts you're doing it wrong... :angel:

What you've experiencing is hyperextension of your legs. It's a common problem with some types of hammocks and most often by people who don't learn the correct way to hang a sleeping hammock and how to lay in it correctly. To learn how to select the right hammock for you and your sleeping habits, how to hang it properly and how to lay in it so that you're not bothered by hyperextension, head on over to 
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php

and start reading. Also start watching Youtube videos by Shug:

Most people who hang in their vans do so by hanging the hammock from a the drivers' rear door to the passenger front door. Some have tried just to place a big knot on the suspension so that it is forced into the door jamb but the safer way is to use a piece of PVC over which the hammock suspension is wrapped.

flailer said:

Same here -- best sleep evar!

I sleep on my side, fetal position, no leg issues. When laying around on my back reading or whatnot, I can feel what people say about hyper-extension in the knees, but I don't sleep that way.

I've got a E350 with a Stahl utility body and drilled into the top frame to mount eye-bolts. Driver's side front, passenger side rear. Because I was a newb when I did this, I used tie-down straps to dial in the hang vs. drilling at  the correct length for it. But it has worked out well, gives me adjustability when I need it, so I'm still using the cargo straps.