sleeping in slide out sleeping areas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have much experience using trailers with pop out sleeping areas. I've seen a couple good deals lately on craigslist but not sure how good they are. I weigh about 240 so I wonder if they have weight limitations. Are they comfortable. I would leave it while at work everyday with my dog inside (my work has a spot with free hookups for me for I am trailer shopping) so would I need to fold them back in everyday to avoid heat/cooling loss?  Any opinions are welcome :)

I have no personal experience (no slides in any of my rv's); ... but I've heard several people that have/use them talk about the beds being comfortable but the insulation seeming almost non-existent so they had to compensate and/or make "work arounds" to get a good night's sleep with either temperature extremes.

nomadicandfree said:
Does anyone have much experience using trailers with pop out sleeping areas. I've seen a couple good deals lately on craigslist but not sure how good they are. I weigh about 240 so I wonder if they have weight limitations. Are they comfortable. I would leave it while at work everyday with my dog inside (my work has a spot with free hookups for me for I am trailer shopping) so would I need to fold them back in everyday to avoid heat/cooling loss? https://www.outofdoorsmart.com/rockwood-roo/   not the exact one but those are the type I am talking about. Any opinions are welcome :)

Yes, those pop outs do have a weight limit. The last one I looked at, the unsupported base was 200lbs and supported was 250-300lbs. Yes, they get cold and hot. Heat and AC is lost right through the canvas. I hate them but some love them. They give me the feeling of camping half in and half out of a covered shelter in an old style canvas tent.

nomadicandfree said:
Does anyone have much experience using trailers with pop out sleeping areas. I've seen a couple good deals lately on craigslist but not sure how good they are. I weigh about 240 so I wonder if they have weight limitations. Are they comfortable. I would leave it while at work everyday with my dog inside (my work has a spot with free hookups for me for I am trailer shopping) so would I need to fold them back in everyday to avoid heat/cooling loss?  Any opinions are welcome :)

Nomadicandfree- Consider my advice. I'm been a full time TT nomad for work the last 11 years. Two words..."Avoid Slideouts" !! The 5th wheel I have now and the bumper pull I had before this one both leaked on the slideouts. That is the weakest part of them. Yes they give you more space. But if you are going to live in it ..Don't get slideouts. The worst part about them is that they come apart a the floors where the end walls are attached. Also the gaskets that go around them are expensive ( $450+/- for 20 ft roll.) !! The roofs of them are crap. You will not know when the slideout starts leaking from the top edges of the roof corners to the walls.....Well....until you find that the bottom floor board on the corners is rotten to hell. These slideouts flex so much during going in and out that they will leak. Another thing is ...just like today...if you want to leave and its raining or has had dew gathered on top of them you won't want to close them. The water pools and sits on top of them. Then when you bring them in all that water drains right onto the "Inside" of the camper. Floors, carpets, etc etc. Water is a camper's worst enemy. The crappy trim, wallboard, pressboard crap they build them with literally comes apart. One of the reason's I here is because I'm going smaller to something I can drive, build myself, install simple quality materials, and be able to pull my small car. Ohh....and the windows tend to leak too. And warranties are not going to be your friend. Especially if you plan to live in it. You have to take your camper into the dealer to get fixed...be ready to be without it for weeks or more. I've taken mine to a few...my camper each time was more screwed up than when I took it there. Check out your local RV dealer and search for lawsuits for service from customers. It ain't pretty. So good luck on sueing them. It would be like ..."Get in the back of that long azz line...while we continue to screw over everyone before you and sell some more crap." LOL .  These campers were not made to live in. They were made for weekend warriors that take their campers out once a year. Sorry for the long reply..You can tell I'm a little "disappointed" in my choices of getting TT with slides. This second one I got talked into by now ex-gf. So now its just me with Her two cats that she left behind in a 37ft 5th wheel with 2 out of the 3 slideouts screwed up. Each time I open or shut them I say a prayer. Hope this helps ! LOL   David

I don't care for the Slide Outs either, and have looked at the Expandable Trailers (the ones that have a fold down, canvas enclosed sleeper that the OP called pop out sleeping area) with dissatisfaction. The rubber seal at the bed area and the ease of which bugs and dust can infiltrate in this area when the sleeper is deployed were strikes 1 & 2, and it wasn't difficult to find a 3rd strike for the out with this trailer. Initially I was taken by the attributes of this type of trailer, it was only after slowing down for a closer inspection did I find reason to move on.

Slide outs, or pop outs that require braces? There is a difference

While I love the extra space that my slide gives me it does leak in one corner if I am at the wrong angle. The roof is fine (it is the same as the main RV roof) and I have re-sealed both recently as a preventative measure. In a dry area like Arizona where I have been since October I don't worry about it leaking much, but I am heading to the PNW where it rains a LOT. I will be making sure my trailer is tilted slightly to the slide side so that water drains to the outside and not down my wall and then into the trailer.

As far as weight goes a good one should be fine...if you take out the heavy furniture that is there and just install a light-weight bed. I have an entertainment system, all my backpacking and camping gear, all my freeze-dried #10 cans, a small table, two chairs, dog food and my renaissance faire gear in a 10ft slide...oh and my junk cupboard that is full.

I think the OP is referring to the pop out tent beds of hybrid trailers or pop up trailers. Those beds can hold a lot of weight. Like several hundred pounds; way more weight than you'd ever want in a bed. I bet the spec sheet will list what the bed is rated to carry.

The bigger problem with tents is the mold that can form when you put it away wet. Maybe not a problem if you pull it out daily but I am not sure.

I'm not a fan of slide outs or tip outs either. Every slide out will leak. Tipouts are basically tents on plywood. I have a wide body '96 Motorhome with No slide outs, on purpose. My buddy was shopping trailers. I told him avoid slides. He didn't listen. Leaked the first time out. Brand new trailer.

Zonie, I've had trailers and motorhome for about 15 years and never had my slide outs leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk