Sleep in a 'sedan'?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustACarSoFar

Reaction score
Anyone have success stories of how to sleep in a sedan's back seat?  I watched a video where they cut pressboard/plywood to fit over the seat thus leveling and widening the whole area. Looked ideal but I don't have the tools.

Buick Park Avenue~   it's a tank but surely not meant to sleep in.... bleh...... :-/

Just measure how wide you need the plywood to be and at Home Depot or Lowes they will cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood into whatever size you need. Buy some medium sandpaper to round and smooth the edges so it doesn't tear up the interior. You could buy a cheap toolbox (short) handsaw to trim the corners (45-degree cuts) so the corners don't poke everything. Use styrofoam wedges or whatever you can find to level out and secure the platform and viola...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15-in-Wood-Handle-Aggressive-Tooth-Saw-122SS159/100618795

JustACarSoFar said:
. . . but I don't have the tools.
They make inflatable car beds that go across the back seats. I just googled "back seat car bed" and got a bunch of results from Walmart, Amazon, Target, and so on. I'll bet even Hammacher Schlemmer has one.

I didn't look at the prices, but it's an option that would save you time and effort.

Thank you both! 

I would prefer a built frame.. and maybe down the road I can work that out after traveling to a relative's place who has some work space for me. 
I'm great with tools, but where I am ~apartment setting with very nosy neighbors~ yeah, I have to wait on that.

As for blow up beds, yup looked at them. 
https://www.google.com/search?q=bac...Xj9qPWAhWHwYMKHRw5BCgQsxgIKQ&biw=1265&bih=637

some are pretty cheap so I might give it a whirl. Still need to use foam wedges to level the sucker but..
It would work til' somethin better happens!  :

I am planning on just taking those back seats out for more room and a flatter surface!

Free_to_be_me said:
I am planning on just taking those back seats out for more room and a flatter surface!

Will you ad pics without the seat and your platform. I'm curious how that comes out.

slow2day said:
Just measure how wide you need the plywood to be and at Home Depot or Lowes they will cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood into whatever size you need. Buy some medium sandpaper to round and smooth the edges so it doesn't tear up the interior. Use styrofoam wedges or whatever you can find to level out and secure the platform and viola...
This is ultimately the best solution for me, here are the lil videos I watched (I'm FAR more proficient with saw than THAT guy lol)

I looked into removing back seat but that was more work than I wanted... plus lack of work space sucks royal.

so sweet how the dodge caravans & town&country styles have EAsy pop out seats!  ...damit...

mr_elijah_gardner said:
Will you ad pics without the seat and your platform. I'm curious how that comes out.

Absolutely! I'm planning on moving in to the car in January, so I'm getting a lot of planning done now. Will be posting my cars transformstion on the forum when the time comes!

I was looking at videos of Crown Victorias and Lincoln Town Cars the other day and saying "Hmmmm.... I wonder if that back seat can come out and give direct access to the trunk for, you know, somebody's legs and feet...."

(I mean a sleeper/camper, not a dead body.) ;)

ganchan said:
I was looking at videos of Crown Victorias and Lincoln Town Cars the other day and saying "Hmmmm.... I wonder if that back seat can come out and give direct access to the trunk for, you know, somebody's legs and feet...."

I had that thought looking at some Buick Roadmaster Wagons.

b785f5e2674914922cfb8a7687287f92.jpg
when I slept in a small sedan I had this for it and it work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ganchan said:

:s yeah well, yanno.. ya never kno.....  but seriously...  :cool:

this Park Ave is the only beast i'll have for some time so it's this or a tent! I haven't found out if there is access through the trunk or not
but IF so, would be cool to show up at a build someday and jes say 'have at it, y'all  ... sledge hammers allowed! " :D

We have a Saturn coupe with that little 'doggy door'. All we did was folded down the back seats and threw a narrow foam mattress with feather blankets and pillows. Sleeps both of us great but depending on how bumpy other vehicles can be then yes, I would agree to get a wood platform or something.

AnnieSantiago we did that exact setup when we first got our Saturn lol. It looks amazing!

ganchan said:

Unfortunately no. I had an ex-cop 2003 Crown Vic. The gas tank sits between the back seat and main trunk area. There is no pass-thru - the back seats don’t even fold down. Not usually a big deal because of how many bodies you can fit in the trunk, but not so good for your purposes - unless you find an old LTD wagon...!

Air mattresses are cold. Period. You need a few layers between you and an air mattress to keep warm. Foam is better on the cheap. Air mats are available with fill to keep the convection down. But normally cost more. And eventually are mats will leak. Air mats do not breathe since they are mostly covered in plastic and it will sweat you.

Opening up the rear seat will allow cool air from the trunk area. Or heat in the summer.
A friend did open up his trunk area (tore out the seat and made a platform) and insulated the trunk area. Installed a sleeping platform of plywood that could fold and stow in the trunk, along with the mattress. VW Jetta FWIW. Any vehicle can be adapted. It just takes some creative thinking

AnnieSantiago said:

Hahaha, I was just looking up that option of removing the front passenger seat and then the back seat completely.  I imagine you have tons of storage now behind the driver's seat.  JustACar, you could do this quite easily and put a couple of solar panels on the roof.  Small 12 volt fridge and a few other 12 volt uses, couple of house batteries and the controller in the truck.  Heck, you could even build a small kitchen like a tear drop in your trunk and put up a car tent to back up into and open the trunk.  Screened porch, kitchen, lights, rocking lawn chairs, hanging tarp walls inside the screened porch for shower/porta potty...  Yep, I'm liking this idea.