Sitting here

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No excuses read clean walk n sing volunteer draw move someplace else get creative.

Me too! Where are you Dean and Buster? Found this great campground I can afford. Prefer semi-nomadic at the time. Plan on being here inWhite Springs, Florida until end of hurricane season. Then head back further south come winter. I want my amenities, a/c and wifi if possible. I HAVE walked, explored, spent numerous hours and money at the only restaurant in town, and same for the only bar in town. I don't drink and am sorta a fish out of water there. This place is so beautiful, so peaceful, yet very difficult to make friends. I have a bicycle I recently purchased and been riding. Can't find a soul to go with me. Bought a cheap but great little kayak to explore. Had several say they would go with me....from the bar; I kinda knew better, but I was desperate. Been almost 3weeks and just never happens. Anyone in north FL?
       I prefer my semi-nomadic life. Maybe this next spring I'll travel more. Living on SS only. And no I don't want to work, or volunteer. I want MY time now. No 'have to be' anywhere. Sleep when I want, eat at irregular hours, read until 3am and not worry about being somewhere. I want freedom.  Ok, got that. Yet lonesome. Some towns are easier to make friends in than others. It's very click'ish here. Homosassa FL, my previous stay was awesome friendly. Never had trouble meeting people, going out.
    So, why stay? It's super cheap! I paid $311.10 for rent last month...including tax, electric and best wifi I've ever had. Of course I am in a 14ft camper. Cheap on electric. And that a/c runs 24/7.

Try fishing, nobody can resist asking how your doing when passing by and if you get good at it you will have more than enough company trying to hog your spot!

I'm not suggesting anyone else should look at life this way but I'm 69 and retired for 5 years and been full time for as long. I look at everyday as a gift. So many have so much less. I've lived a full life and have checked off most of the boxes. I've had my share of hardships and blessings. If I'm not feeling fulfilled or having fun I figure it's my fault and I try to do something about it. Feeling sorry for myself is unproductive. I read a lot, hike, motorcycle, cook. Take care of my stuff. Try to make the place I am staying better. The people I meet are for the most part wonderful and on that rare occasion when there not I move on. It's best if you can be happy by yourself but be ready to enjoy the company of others for as long as it lasts. I like to live in the moment. I find if I try to join a group it stops being an adventure. I remember a radio preacher saying he never met a man he thought there ought to be two of and I am sure it applies to me.

Well said Bob, well said.
I commend you an your great attitude and focus.
Exemplary.
We should all aspire to successfully achieve as such, every moment of every day, while we breathe.
Bravo!

Yep bullfrog...actually found my fishing license. Good till August! Need new gear but easy enough. And old skill I need to refresh. So today I rearranged--again. Seems to be a constant. Lol. Got some little projects taken care and all's well. It's always just a short temporary thing. (Although I have been here about 4  months and really tried to find friends. That's a lot of alone time.)  Saving here so I stay until emergency reserves built up again. And I'll find different people, places, things. Love my coloring books too.

We are allowed to fish with artifical lights on Lake Powell (4' green led's submersed) to draw in the fish. After a few hours larger fish start to swim through the ten foot or so ball of small fish circling the light. I should charge admission! Had a first time fisherman catch 20 or so small stripped bass. It was so entertaining watching I missed a few myself!

Latest posts