Single women hosting campgrounds?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleanheart

Reaction score
Hi Ladies! I'm looking for imformation . Since I will have to continue working while traveling I'm wondering how difficult it will be for a single older gal to find work.

I went to a KOA Workcamper Boot Camp a few years ago and met several mature solo women who had already been offered assignments. Most of the positions, however, were site and full hook ups in exchange for work. KOA does have some paid positions once you get some experience. The KOA jobs were more for people with fullsize RVs, but one of the women I met was in a minivan towing a Little Guy teardrop trailer. It may have changed, buy when I looked into it, you had to pay a $35.00 fee to post your resume and see the job postings. All of this is on the KOA website.

Good luck! PS-Almost all KOAs are pet friendly for friendly pets :)

I did a 3 month camphost job in 2008 in a National Park. I found that a lot of folks ignored what I told them, but a guy that was a paid employee of the park was way more effective, and I was glad to have him backing me up. I later went back for a couple of weeks to the same campground (the regular camphosts had left) and had the same problems as before. I think some men just listen to another man and ignore a woman's voice. Most men and women were friendly and really wanted to do what was right and follow the rules, but many just do what they please. I particularly had problems with guys who like to build bonfires - in an area that is dry already, and in a campground that had been evacuated because of forest fire just a few weeks earlier. I spent a lot of time dousing campfires left smoldering when the campers vacated the site. (Sorry to be so wordy.)

I no longer have an RV and when I search the govt volunteer site I look for those that have housing available. Many use former ranger cabins, or have bunkhouses, apartments (usually private bedrooms and shared facilities), and other kinds of housing.

My experience is that I got burned out way before my 3-month commitment was up - as a solo you have to do it all and it's easier with a partner. But try it and see if you can get a shorter commitment with option to extend. Good luck.

Summer of 2012, I met a lady campground host in Denali Park. She told me about an incident with a couple of drunk men brandishing guns over the Memorial Day weekend. She ended up calling the Park police and they were arrested and taken out. (The park provided a satellite phone.) She was a pretty tough gal! I have a lot of respect for women like her! You go, Girl!!

Dealing with the general public can be a challenge sometimes. And yes, some (many?) men will not listen to a woman in authority. We could have that conversation until the cows come home. Sigh.

I would try it, if I had to, in a smaller park, perhaps?

We're in a campground that has 3 women working the office at different times, 2 are single.
2 guys taking care of the grounds, both single, 1 in a truckcamper.

Go for it.

Good information gals. Thanks a bunch! This will help as I get closer to hitting the road. Owl has been very encouraging and I'm pretty tough so I just might be ok.

I've not had a camp host job myself, but I've several older women-friends who have. Most have worked for California Land Management (CLM). They both pay minimum wage and provide a camp site. Some campgrounds have full hook-ups and are close-in to major population centers (attracts week-end warriors and partiers). Other campgrounds are remote with no hook ups (attracts folks who want to enjoy nature). Some of my friends are in vans, others are in RVs, and one in a tent. CLM has a pretty good reputation for treating their employees right ... be aware that there is physical work involved. Here's a listing of their current openings ... http://www.clm-services.com/employment/job-openings.

Edited to add: I've heard good things about this site too ... http://workamper.com/ . There's a cost, but I understand you're likely to get lots of offers of work. Again, no personal experience ... but, just passing on some possible leads.

The best to you and your travels.

Suanne

Good morning all;

I usually don't get into conversions just to say you go girl. BUT!!! You Go Girl!!

I am quite sure any lone man faced with a bunch brandishing weapons would have had to call in backup too.

Cleanheart when placed in a position of authority many women feel they must be gentle and ask for cooperation...not so! As a camp host of course being nice is part of it...that said when it comes to enforcing established rules you ARE the authority ... don't ask, tell!

And please tell if you get a job, it sounds like it would be a great place to visit.

Great luck with this new adventure.

This was written by the daughter of the first Military Police WOMAN in Canada during WW11...and I know she would give you the same advise she always gave me...

"Honey, the only things you can't do in life are the things you don't want to do!"

Hug,

Seems to me that these parks would provide a phone with a camera -- in order to send the evidence to headquarters -- with the camp host playing the watchdog -- and the park ranger handing out the tickets. There shouldn't be a "law enforcement" requirement to a hosting job -- just a watchdog requirement.

It has crossed my mind that it might be a good idea to require a level of camping training to people who camp in national parks and wild areas... like a driver's license. Things people do can often endanger themselves or others.

Single woman working at a KOA here. Actually, we have more singles than couples here. Smaller campgrounds like couples because they get two workers for one site. All KOAs do pay in addition to your site, I get $8 an hour, my site costs $37 a week and I get a $50 credit a month towards electric. The $35 fee to join is well worth it IMO, I get hundreds of places to choose from in every part of the country. The first job is the hardest, once you're in the system, the job offers come to you. I've seen workampers in pop-ups, they don't care what you live in unless it's one of the class A only type campgrounds.