Single Mom Looking for Advise to Get on Road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoewan

Reaction score
Hello Ladies,
I'm one step closer to going full time. I will be traveling with my 5 yr old son. My adult disabled daughter will be staying in a bricks and mortar so I no longer have to consider her needs.
What I'm curious about is if there are any other single Mum's who post their experiences that are part of this community? Do they post Youtube videos?
I've already signed up my son for home schooling so that is taken care of and the only thing holding us back is finding the perfect rig for us. I'm thinking of a Toyota RV and have my eye on one in particular.
Any help and answers would be most helpful.
Cheers, donna

Maybe this wasn't the group for my post. Could an ADMIN move it to the correct category?

Not exactly a usual topic with an obvious group, haha. Not to mention there's likely not many with your circumstance on here.
There is at least one youtuber with an infant and a few with young children. Including ones with a van instead of an RV.

I would be concerned with different state laws for homeschooling. Not sure how those would apply if you're mobile.
Beyond that, social interaction is very important for proper developmental health and may prove difficult while on the road.
That said, while I don't have children I am a big advocate of homeschooling over our public education system.

On YouTube there is a whole family that RVs with a bunch of kids. RoadRice is the channel name. I do not know how they do it.

RV Family

Thank you for the responses. Much appreciated.
As I'm coming from Canada, I've registered homeschooling with our Province. I'll do the 'snowbird thing' of 6 months less a day of wintering in Arizona and back to Canada for the spring and summer. Our liaison for schooling is aware and fine with it.
What I am gathering from my query is that there are not many people who live in a RV full-time with a child. This is going to be an adventure!

eoewan said:
What I am gathering from my query is that there are not many people who live in a RV full-time with a child. This is going to be an adventure!

In my travels I've seen several female truckers at truck stops with young kids. Could be just a visit situation though, and not full-timing.

eoewan said:
As I'm coming from Canada, I've registered homeschooling with our Province. I'll do the 'snowbird thing' of 6 months less a day of wintering in Arizona and back to Canada for the spring and summer. Our liaison for schooling is aware and fine with it.

Glad to hear that Canada makes homeschooling easy. 
Winters down here are very mild and there's lots to see.
I'd plan on something for cell based internet service.

eoewan said:

Go to Bob's CheapRVliving youtube channel, click “Videos” up at top, and scroll down til get  to
“Jason Mandy Lance Trailer” Mar31, 2017, and
“Family Living in a Lance 26' Travel Trailer Tour, Mar30, 2017
My memory is they are home schooling their kids.

I know of a couple of home schooled on the road kids and their parents. One is very well 'un-schooled', the other 2 kids I kind of question how they are doing education wise.

Neither of the two families do any blogging or Youtube and I think it's mainly because they are leary of too much exposure and perhaps some resultant criticism.

Check out meetup.com  and facebook groups,  expect you'd find many homeschooling groups along your journey. And I'd think many families and their children would find your traveling manner of special interest.

Just googled <  rv homeschooling  > and that brought up several, will list a few  just to show but my advice is to google and bring them up yourself rather than click on links supplied by a stranger:
http://www.newschoolnomads.com/
http://www.familiesontheroad.com/
https://wandrlymagazine.com/article/rv-homeschool-community/
http://www.livinglifeandlearning.com/homeschooling-in-an-rv.html

Try google search with other phrase variations should bring up more.

Maybe join Rvillage.com, might find homeschooling interest groups there too. Or at least others to connect with en route.

Good travels.

eoewan said:

If I'm in a ladies forum I apologize but:. Come hang at honeys. I was an electrical engineer eer and have taught classes and would love to help out and am always looking for friends .

I have come across a fair number of full time families, home schooling children while exploring the US, and having a great adventure.

Doing it thoughtfully, keeping the myriad needs of a child at the forefront, can be successful and a wonderful opportunity for the child and the two of you together.

Have a great time!

Hi, I’m a single mother with a young toddler living fulltime in an rv. I don’t blog or do YouTube because I want to keep my family safe. But I’m always down to hang out with other families with young kids so they can socialize with more kids their age. I plan on homeschooling and have already had great success with teaching my child sign language and some Spanish (on top of English, matching, colors, counting and such). I see absolutely great benefits from raising my child this way. Learned to walk at only 9 months due to being in a smaller space. Learned 20 asl signs by the age of one. Very gentle, polite and always curious about new environments. And getting to know so many people from all over the world. 

Ideally, I’d eventually like to caravan with other young kids with similar family values and culture. An rv has been perfect for us so far on our journey. I made a lot of accommodations for my child to make sure they’re comfortable. I could live in a smaller space myself. I’m down to talk more if you want. Send me a PM and we can chat through email which isn’t easier for me. Good luck and I hope you get the rv you’ve set your eye on!