Silver UDO parked on top of the hill

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcor

Reaction score
UDO (unidentified driving object) parked near me. I am boondocking at Big River blm, west of Parker AZ. Looks like loads of solar panels. Antenna and weather instruments. Reflectix on all windows. Am I being watched?

Attachments

• IMG_5268.JPG
    IMG_5268.JPG
    443.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5266.JPG
    IMG_5266.JPG
    470.6 KB · Views: 34
Tomcor said:
UDO (unidentified driving object) parked near me. I am boondocking at Big River blm, west of Parker AZ. Looks like loads of solar panels. Antenna and weather instruments. Reflectix on all windows. Am I being watched?

:huh:  YES   :huh:

Jewellann

I hope there's some solid engineering holding down that wing at highway speeds. Is that a wood base? 8-O

I suspect it's on a turning brace/bracket...straighten brace and put panels down along with boost antenna.

IMG_20170209_160712.jpg
AbuelaLoca said:
I wish I could have a solar system like that!!!!!!

Mine doesn't swivel but it does tilt.

Attachments

• IMG_20170209_160712.jpg
    IMG_20170209_160712.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 7
I wonder if there is a camper or two down the other side of that hill?

CautionToTheWind said:
I suspect it's on a turning brace/bracket...straighten brace and put panels down along with boost antenna.
Still a huge wind obstacle at 70mph even if safe.

I bet a tour of the US the drag would waste a lot more fossil fuel than the panels ever save in a year.

Maybe not, but​ just saying I think a more streamlined setup would be better.

But then for some people appearances are as important as reality.

I'm betting it all comes off and folds neatly inside when underway.

Tomcor said:

FLEE!!!  FLEE while you still have time!!!  If you don't get out NOW... you'll soon be making models of the Devil's Tower out of mashed potatoes!

ee48f79f59e5ca6f16b0e0fae29db0e4.jpg

Ballenxj said:
I'm betting it all comes off and folds neatly inside when underway.
Zoom in look close, those are big one-piece wood beams, longer than there is anyplace to stash in that vehicle, other than riding right up there on the top.

No problem as a weekender low speeds and short trips.

Traveling around the country, not so much.

John61CT said:
Zoom in look close, those are big one-piece wood beams, longer than there is anyplace to stash in that vehicle, other than riding right up there on the top.
Uh oh, well, I have been wrong before. :p

Update on the story. I stayed two nights here where the UDO was.

I took a hike near it to investigate right before sunset. The vehicle was a silver SUV with Oregon plates. As I hiked by I noticed the driver side door was open. All the windows were completely covered with silver covering. Suddenly an Alien came out only wearing shorts (not underwear) walked around the vehicle to adjust angle of the solar panels so the they were ready for the morning sun. That is the first time I had seen any life in the three days I spent there.

Looks as if you have your own "early advanced warning system" !

Latest posts