Signal boosters?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vagabound

Reaction score
I am just now at the point where I'm beginning to research cell phone signal and Wi-Fi signal boosters.

I'd like to boost WiFi mainly on my smartphone as I use it for most connectivity; however, it would be nice to use it for the laptop too when needed.

My concern with WiFi boosters is whether one device can be purchased that will be compatible with both the smartphone and a laptop, in terms of cable connections, etc?

The phone signal booster is only for the smartphone. I already understand that you have to at least have some signal or you can't boost it. My concern with the ones I've heard about relates to the cradle. I don't quite understand how people are using their smartphones as small computers by holding on to them and typing on them, if they're forced to keep the phone in a booster cradle?

Finally, I'm wondering if there's an all-in-one magical device that can boost phone signals and Wifi signals and be compatible with multiple devices for under $500,000? ;-)

I read the few old threads here that I could find on boosters, but they were not much help.

If anyone can save me some time by pointing me in the right direction while I'm doing my research, or by pointing out general facts or concepts in the booster world, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Tom

I have the Weboost 4G-S Cell Phone Booster, have had for almost a year now. It doesn't always boost but most of the time it does. For example, where I'm at now I get "No Service" without it, with it I get 2 bars and LTE. Been very happy with it as I use my phone as a Hotspot for my IPad:)

Here's present screenshots showing difference hooked/ unhooked.  I'm posting with it now attached
Attached
IMG_7933.JPG
Unattached 
IMG_7934.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7933.JPG
    IMG_7933.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7934.JPG
    IMG_7934.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 18
Wifi boosters and cell phone boosters are two separate things.

A wifi booster would be used normally to allow your laptop or tablet to connect to a public wifi signal thats just out of range of the device. Maybe in the parking lot of a coffee shop, Walmart or McDonalds, or on the edge of an RV park where the wifi signal they have is just barely there without the booster.

A cell phone booster is for boosting the smartphone or hotspot device so that it can 'reach' further, and hit a tower that is just too far away for your phone to access.

You might need both, but if you dont ever plan to use public wifi, you might not need that item.

As far as tapping away on the smartphone while in the cell booster cradle, yeah, that's possible but not convenient. There are some boosters that don't rely on a cradle, but these generally cost more, typically $200-$500 depending on the capabilities.

the cell phone boosters will boost the signal for any cell phone or hot spot not just a smart phone. some are carrier specific. highdesertranger

OK, for the moment it might be best if I stick to asking about cell phone boosters.

There seem to be two general categories of boosters, based on price. Based on what I've seen, there's a group around the $30 to $50 range, and then there's another group up around $500. The Weboost mentioned in the first reply post was in the latter category. Without knowing a lot about these, that seems awfully pricey for a cell phone signal booster. 

1.  Within the range of normal, is Weboost the most expensive out there? I'm trying to establish the range.

2. Generally, how do the ones in the cheap category mentioned above differ from those in the expensive category like Weboost?

Tom

I just got a WeBoost 4g-s off of eBay for $129 refurbished. I also purchased a YAGI directional antenna and 20 feet of low loss cable. I spent less than $200 for all of it. The antenna is attached to a 12 foot telescoping pole. I have an app that shows me the direction and location of the near by cell towers so I know which way to point the directional antenna. With the cost of the pole and mounting hardware for my bumper I have paid $235 for this signal boosting system and equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JesseTrue said:
How well does your setup work?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The same as BobBski above. It doubles or triples the signal strength.

Generally, the cheap cell boosters are for a single frequency band. Fine for a fixed location when you know which band you need for the one cell provider you want to boost in that location, close to useless on the road.

You can find used boosters, but some only support 3g frequencies. Also some depend on antenna jacks on your device, which are uncommon now.

Tom,

How do you get WiFi signals? From a nearby WiFi AP?

There are supposedly WiFi boosters to pick up WiFi farther than usual. I have no experience with those.

My WiFi comes from a 4G hot spot (VZ Jetpack). My Wilson 4G booster can fit either a smartphone or the hot spot boosting only one at a time. But either device can be a hot spot.

I do use a usb WiFi receivers that has a four inch antenna. They pick up a weak signal better than ones without the antenna.

-Wayne

wayne49 said:

How do you get WiFi signals? From a  nearby WiFi 

Just pick up WiFi with my phone directly, from public wifi-spots. That said, I think there's a jetpack in my near future, soon as I work up the courage and find the time to take another, deeper look at Jim's million-page thread on the topic. That is, unless anyone knows the Reader's Digest version of that, such as "Buy X from Y." ?

Tom

Blanch said:
The same as BobBski above. It doubles or triples the signal strength.

Interesting. Do you think you could get similar performance if you skip the telescoping antenna, and just used a small (magnetic) rooftop antenna instead? If not, how do you think it would compare?

Tom

Vagabound said:
Interesting. Do you think you could get similar performance if you skip the telescoping antenna, and just used a small (magnetic) rooftop antenna instead? If not, how do you think it would compare?

Tom

I don't know how they compare, but if you look at the specs of a directional antenna, it gets the better signal and amplifies it. I copied my set up from a YouTube video that Bob did. I am happy with my results.

How A Nomad Gets Internet On The Road is the name of Bob's video. It has links to all the necessary parts.

Blanch,

Would you please give specific details on the telescoping pole and the tower locating app. I have a Yagi and cable arriving any day and need both. I have a Wilson Sleek that I plan to use with them while in Quartzsite this winter.

A group of RV friends and I were in central Oregon to view the eclipse last month. Most of us couldn't get any data using our hot spots but one guy stopped to pick up the $500 Weboost RV and was able to stream movies over his.

The Sleek is an older model by the same company. It will only get 3G but I'm told that's enough to stream. I sure hope so!

Thanks!

Okmunky said:
Blanch,

Would you please give specific details on the telescoping pole and the tower locating app. I have a Yagi and cable arriving any day and need both. I have a Wilson Sleek that I plan to use with them while in Quartzsite this winter.

...... Thanks!

The app is Open Signal.
The pole is just a telescoping pole I bought for $16.99 at a local hardware store in the paint section. I used a flag pole mount and attached it to my TT bumper.

BTW...attaching painters poles to the side of your trailer or RV is easy if you buy what are called conduit clips or conduit clamps, depending on who you are talking to at the hardware or electrical supply store.

They can be attached on a vertical surface and its very easy to install and remove the pole.

1500858063957.jpg

1500858063365.jpg

1500858062978.jpg

1500858062312.jpg

Attachments

• 1500858063365.jpg
    1500858063365.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 1500858062978.jpg
    1500858062978.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 15
  • 1500858062312.jpg
    1500858062312.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 1500858063957.jpg
    1500858063957.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 13
I can tell you that a few here have the Sleek or weBoost mobile boosters with the short car antenna on my suggestion and they help to a point. When it gets really bad the directional antenna makes all the difference in the world going from showing nothing to a usable signal. That means I can provide internet for the group and see 5 or 6 connections on my hotspots.

At the Colorado GTG I had the chance to compare a good omni directional antenna to my directional. The directional antenna provided a good 10 db difference over the omni. Both were improvements over the small antenna that comes with the mobile units which are improvements over using nothing at all.