side mounted portable panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastaman

Reaction score
I decided that based on the following reasons I would side mount my panels, also making them portable.
1, My roof structure
2, wanted the option of parking in shade and having the panels in the sun.
3, I have remote property, off grid that I can use the panels on while visiting.

So after a lot of thought (too much actually) I came up with this very basic design.

photo 1.JPG

I will have an adjustable rod at the bottom of the panels to vary the angle and also provide stability.
I plan on using a regular 110 volt extension cord between the panels and the controller (Idea from someone here) for ease of connecting and disconnecting.

When not in use the panels can be stored safely. A little extra effort to hang them and connect, but I dont plan being in a hurry when travelling.

Any thoughts?

sorry I messed up on the photos,,and am unable to edit them...

photo 3.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    134.8 KB
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    122.9 KB
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    181.2 KB
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    181.2 KB
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    176.4 KB
well I am sure that works for you and I wish I could do something similar. however I would have those panels tore off in no time. I even removed the fancy side molding from the side of my truck after most was removed for me. highdesertranger

Nice!

I've seen them mounted that way on a RV before, I really like the idea. The hardest thing about mounting my panels is the loss of the portability.

BTW what size are the panels. What are the basic specs and what controller are you using. i ask because you mentioned a extension cord and you don't want to go to thin or you will loose power between the panels and the controller.

jimindenver said:
Nice!

I've seen them mounted that way on a RV before, I really like the idea. The hardest thing about mounting my panels is the loss of the portability.

BTW what size are the panels. What are the basic specs and what controller are you using. i ask because you mentioned a extension cord and you don't want to go to thin or you will loose power between the panels and the controller.

Right now I have 2 100 watt panels, 30amp PMW controller,2 6 volt batts. I may add another panel in the future.
Each panel will have a regular 110 volt type male connector. Mounted on the camper will be a regular household 110 volt wall receptacle, that will be connected to the controller 3' away inside.
I may have 2 extension cords, a short for when panels are hanging and a longer 25' when panels are portable. (10 gauge wire). at the panel end of the extension cord I will use a 2 way adapter to plug the panels in to, which will give the option of 1- 3 panels.

The panels will be removed when driving. On a previous 3 week trip that did involve a lot of driving. ( 6k miles) I was able to keep my battery charged using only the truck alternator (3500 dodge). I use little power only a whynter fridge, few led lights at night. and computer.
So I am hoping the solar will keep things going when parked.
now I am working on a way to secure them so they dont grow legs If I am away.