Shower Tent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
Looking for recommendation on a sturdy shower tent.  I've looked at both the pop up and the kind with stakes.  I'm looking for something sturdy and rain proof that can stay up for weeks at a time because it will also double as storage for extra stuff I don't want in the van while camping.  Any recommendations for one I can get on amazon or walmart under $100 would be appreciate, thanks.

I have a pop up that I bought on Amazon pretty cheap. Never tried to leave it up for an extended period but I suppose if you staked it well it would stay up. I'm pretty sure the top is open (haven't used it for awhile) which is good for showers or using for privacy while changing clothes or going to the bathroom but not good for storage. It might be a good idea to get a separate tent for storage.

I have not ever found one that would last extended times (usually zippers fail), was water tight (usually vented, have a drain in the floor and a lip to trip over at the door, or that cheap. We use a high quality floored tent with a ground tarp folded over under the edge of the tent so water when it rains runs off the tent onto the ground and the ground cloth creates a dam to keep under the tarp. Just depends on how long , how well (dry) you want to keep your stuff and how much you want to spend.

Well, you know the shower tents don't have floors, so the water can get out easily. You'll need some way of keeping things off the ground if you use a shower tent for storage. They are also pretty tall, but at least they're thin from side to side. Dunno how much of a problem they'd have with catching wind. You might want to secure one to a wheel or door handle, if you can.

I use this one and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0GOJ25/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The quality seems good -- it has been tossed around a good bit - and has plenty of pockets and such inside and out, for holding your soap, towel, etc. It also collapses to a thin package that's still relatively easy to tuck away somewhere narrow when you're done.

It has a removable rain cover.

Dingfelder said:
Well, you know the shower tents don't have floors, so the water can get out easily.  You'll need some way of keeping things off the ground if you use a shower tent for storage.  They are also pretty tall, but at least they're thin from side to side.  Dunno how much of a problem they'd have with catching wind.  You might want to secure one to a wheel or door handle, if you can.

I use this one and really like it.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0GOJ25/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The quality seems good -- it has been tossed around a good bit - and has plenty of pockets and such inside and out, for holding your soap, towel, etc.  It also collapses to a thin package that's still relatively easy to tuck away somewhere narrow when you're done.

It has a removable rain cover.

looks like a good one.  Thanks for the recommendation.  I'm hoping more people post with links to the ones the use so i can compare ;)

waverider1987 said:
...storage for extra stuff I don't want in the van while camping.

Everyone has different priorities. One of mine was to not have so much stuff in my van that I had to take things out in order to use it. I didn't want to be climbing around things, moving things back and forth, or needing to pack and unpack. Because what would I do when I stayed someplace like Walmart or had to stealth camp?

Now camping consists of parking, opening the side door and putting out the step. Getting ready to leave is just the reverse of that. It took about two of my five years to get to this point as I discovered things I didn't really need or use. It was like when I was cleaning out my house. Why do I even have all this stuff? Why was it ever important to me?

But, like I said, everyone has different priorities. I hope you find a shower tent that works for you.

I would opt for a good two person tent for storage. One, you can find things easier and two, the lower profile won't get caught in the wind as easy. Plus the rain fly would be better than a single layer in a shower tent.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I won't recommend and specific shower/privacy tent because one of the things I found out about them is that they need to fit the person...  :)

Girl friend had one that fits me fine but was too short for her to stand up in and then hold the shower head over her head to wash her hair. She replaced it (I have it now) with a tent that I could camp in it's so big.... :D I'm 5' tall, she's 5'8" maybe.

The big one takes her 20 minutes to set up or take down - external poles etc, etc. The littler one  I use - it is spring wired, takes me a minute to open it up and let it spring in to place. Both need to be staked down. Mine sways in the breeze and has had to be tied off in a high wind but is simple to tie out. Hers' has be to taken down in a high wind it's so big!

Just make sure whatever you get is big (or small) enough for you!

Also, a shower tent with vents along the bottom lets insects enter and can flood in a thunder storm.

I use a little dome tent for overflow storage. Use a tarp slightly larger than the floor, lay it out inside the tent, pleat each corner and binder clip to form a tray. Now the items inside the "tray" stay dry and when you take the tent down, just pull the tarp "tray" out the door and dump any sand, dirt, or debris outside. Saves a lot of sweeping and wear on the tent floor.

And remember, you don't need to stand to shower. You can sit, kneel or squat.

I can't tell you how sturdy this one is since I've never used one, but Walmart has a two room shower tent in it's Ozark Trail line. It looks good and seems to have mostly good reviews. This would provide room for both showering and storage without having to do too much moving stuff around.

e301818f-69ae-453c-ba59-d505b3d27b4d_1.ff54d00e01531fe40eca61cfb93717d2.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...hguid=dbed0e34-fcc-16739d4361af89&athena=true

They also have a less expensive two room shower tent with the same basic design. It's not as well reviewed, due largely to the fact that it's a bit tricky to set up. The most consistent complaint in the reviews is that the instructions are terrible.
b83db925-5078-4f16-b555-0e678fe60d9c_1.2a662737558d575ff08997627fa28f18.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...PR0ozsXZmmkrLF-WqxVOB7JxtV8PhUKhoCQcgQAvD_BwE

I have used the top one and the zippers are the week point. We ended up using heavy duty velcro with poor results but otherwise it was good for a few months of daily use. We ended up just using the shower area for the toliet as it's zipper wasn't used as much and allowed us a little more use. In the end we use a portion of our 10'x14' Koddiac which is much more durable with an additional tarp on the floor.

I generally camp alone and don't use a tent, i get giggles from rabbits and birds but whatever.

On a whim, I bought that second one, the $69 Ozark Trail 'non-instant' shower tent. 

What a P.O.S.! A million parts spill out of the bag and I cant imagine messing with this thing in the wind, and/or in the dark.

Can NOT be setup with one person of my temperment and lack of patience. Maybe two people with a lot of patience. Maybe. 

The instructions are a joke, and there is no way to figure out which roof poles to insert in which roof sleeves. So, if you insert the wrong poles in the wrong sleeves, it is an exercise in frustration trying to remove them and start all over.

Not to mention there is no way to assemble the whole thing with only 2 hands. And I'm not new to tents.

I'm going to find another use for some of the poles...they might come in handy around the campsite. Thats the only positive thing I can say about this tent.

Skip it and choose something else.

I use a Kelty H2GO shower tent. Its pretty sturdy, has a removable rain fly and removable shower floor. I was using a pop up shower tent for the longest time before. I never used it in wind and only popped it out to shower. Once done, I would break it down because it was so flimsy.

Instead of using a shower tent to double as storage, why not would use an old tent or cheap tent as a storage? The area around the shower tent is going to be soaked for a while after a shower.

Attachments

• 494185.jpg
    494185.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts