Should I get the van now or wait?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
My situation is that I am in a 'dead' marriage with two young-ish kids. Her and I both know the marriage is done and we are essentially just roommates. How long that will last I dont know. I do know that I very much love my children and if it wasnt for them I'd be gone long, long ago.

Today I made some calls and found I can insure a cargo van for about $60 per month, which I can definitely afford. I have the money to buy a van now and park it on the street. The benefit is that I could slowly start building the van out and see what works best for me. If the poop hits the fan I can have somewhere to go immediately.

The downside is do I really want to spend $2000+ on van and pay for insurance knowing it will go virtually unused?

Thoughts?

How about getting your kids involved with the van build? Take them camping or on short trips. Show them how much fun it is to be out in the woods or traveling to new places then if you do end up leaving and living in the van it will be a familiar and fun place.

Well, if it's a two thousand dollar van, it's not going to depreciate any just sitting there.

Moreover, I can practically guarantee that it will probably need mechanical work. You can discover exactly what it needs by weekend trips, and gradually have the work done as you can afford it.

If you can afford the $60 monthly insurance, I really don't see any downside to it.

BTW, if you've a mind to, you could probably make some part time money with it, helping people move stuff, and so on. Post some flyers in local Laundromats and such. That might pay for some of the insurance and repairs.

Regards
John

I'd at least start looking and shopping around. I've been shopping for the right van for over a year, now. It's great not to have to rush and be able to be choosy. Might have found the right one, today. I'm trying not to get too excited about it!

Do you live in a community property state? If you haven't actually filed for divorce, the van will be part of the assets of the marriage. You may think everything is equitable between the two of you now, but when it gets right down to it, it could turn .... unpleasant. The person you divorce is not the person you married. Just food for thought.

I'd start looking at vans right now. I've had to buy a vehicle in a hurry before when the transmission in my mini-van went south and I ended up with a daily driver that I detest simply because I was in a hurry.

It took me several months of serious looking before I found the right vehicle for me so if you think you might be needing this sooner or later, start sooner.

And yes, most any vehicle is going to need at least some mechanical work on it. The van I bought a month ago passed it's safety inspection with flying colors but then needed a battery right away. Now it needs a battery tender to take care of it through the spring. It needs all new tires before it goes very far at all. Currently and temporarily nicknamed "Big White Money Pit".

Buying now will allow you to spread the mechanical costs and the interior build over a period of time rather than a big chunk in a hurry.

On the insurance. I paid State Farm a very low fee that allowed me to keep a vehicle tagged and legal to be parked on the street by my house until I had the time and money to work on it. The vehicle could not be driven with that insurance but it was really cheap . . . maybe 25 bucks for 6 months. I can't remember for sure.
A SEEKER

Up in BC our insurance is a "Crown Corporation"... that is say its overseen by the government to some degree so there is no other game in town, no competition. $60 is pretty much as cheap as it gets. It will allow me to drive it though... which could be useful to drive it to Home Depot to buy materials etc.

As to camping with the kids in it I have thought of that, but the wife insists that the seats have shoulder straps so no bench seat. I have to check with local laws but she says my 3 year old daughter has to have her car seat bolted down with a strap as well as regular seatbelts. This means I would have to get a van with two captain style seats in the back... which likely means I would not be able to get a cargo van but a conversion or something.

As to dividing assets when we divorce I am pretty much going to give her everything. Condo, car, etc. If she sells the condo I'd ask for $25000 which is less than a 1/4th the price. I'm a minimalist and don't need much to be happy.

As to mechanical issues that is definitely something to consider.

Is it better to buy a van for $2000 and keep a $1000 aside for repairs or buy the van for $3000 and hope for minimal repairs???

Unity Gain said:
Is it better to buy a van for $2000 and keep a $1000 aside for repairs or buy the van for $3000 and hope for minimal repairs???

You can hope all you want, but it's kinda like wishing on a star yaknow!

It's better to buy the best that you can get at the best possible price. You can buy a money pit for $3G or get a great deal for $2G. Make sure you keep an allowance set aside for paying the tax and registration on the vehicle. Ontario bases it on the higher of book value or paid price...ouch!!

As a fellow Canadian I can tell you that a $1,000 is a drop in the bucket when it comes to repair bills. The quote I just got for the cheapest (I won't be buying them) tires for the Savana came in loose change under $800.00. An interstate battery was $150.00 including tax last week.

Hopefully you are close enough to the US border that you can run across the white line on the map for US prices....:D Understand the rules for car repairs and duty free allowances and play by their rules!

For example if I take the van to the states and have major work done to it ie. awning, windows, tires etc. that they decide increases the value of the vehicle I can be charged duty (0% now) so that's nothing, but they can charge me HST on the INCREASED value of the vehicle. Emergency repairs have different rules (cost is part of your personal exemption).

Buy the parts, declare them as part of your personal exemption, keep the value below your limit and you pay no taxes. Then have them installed at home.

I have a couple of suggestions in regards to this but will not discuss them on an open forum (PM me your email address if you want).

Thanks for the tips Almost There. Buying parts across the border is something I will consider when the time comes.

One thought I had is that if I got the van from her point of view it could be a catalyst to move towards separation. She's going to say why did you spend $2000+ on a van? I guess I could park it on the street and not tell her but I am not sure I want to do that either.

Unity Gain said:
Thanks for the tips Almost There. Buying parts across the border is something I will consider when the time comes.

One thought I had is that if I got the van from her point of view it could be a catalyst to move towards separation. She's going to say why did you spend $2000+ on a van? I guess I could park it on the street and not tell her but I am not sure I want to do that either.

If that doesn't sit well with you then maybe you want to go another route - start saving now for the eventuality. Get a whole lot more than a couple of grand ready. Do lots of planning (including costing parts) as to what you are going to want and need (not necessarily the same thing..lol) and make an emergency exit plan to supplement the van plan. I say this because the 'van plan' may take several months to come into being and it's best if you don't end up buying in haste.

Keep looking but look leisurely. If the 'perfect for you' van lands in your lap, get it and deal with it, but don't put pressure on yourself to find it.

Good advice... thanks! I currently have $5000 saved and I was hoping to stop there but maybe not. Getting the van now or waiting is such a tough call. We had a huge argument today. I'd really rather stick it out til spring if at all possible for the warmer weather.

One thing I have definitely decided is that I want the bed along the side rather across the back. I am going to insulate the heck out of this van.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
BTW, if you've a mind to, you could probably make some part time money with it, helping people move stuff, and so on.
Years ago when I was out of work I made a sign and hung it around my neck, it said "have truck". I'd go to estate sales in good neighborhoods. I'd be walking around, and someone would walk up to me and they'd say "Excuse me, do you have a truck"? And I'd say yes, and then I'd get "how much to move this thing about 2 blocks...". I got to know the ladies who run the estate sales, I'd start to see them over and over. They'd bird-dog work for me. I'd leave the house with no money, no gas, and come back with a full tank, a few bucks, and a truck full of junk.

Get the van, and start moving your stuff out to it. I'd also get a cot, long undies, knit cap, sleeping bag(s). Make curtains out of garbage bags. Get a bucket and cooler, put jugs of water in the cooler. Put a suitcase full of clothes out there. When the shtf, you'll be glad you did.

Get the van, and start moving your stuff out to it. I'd also get a cot, long undies, knit cap, sleeping bag(s). Make curtains out of garbage bags. Get a bucket and cooler, put jugs of water in the cooler. Put a suitcase full of clothes out there. When the shtf, you'll be glad you did.

To me this looks more like a marriage / divorce question than a van question. I have had enough friends get divorced I can see it now - according to her lawyer your a homeless person living in the van, and would not be suitable to give joint custody to.....