should I get a storage unit?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny P

Reaction score
Well I finally did it, I finally spent the night in my van, 3 nights actually.
Me and my girlfriend who I live with are on the outs and I made my van for this very sitution. Got a little too dramatic for me so I needed some "time away", so I decided I'd finally camp out in my van.
It's funny how much I've figured out about my van and what ammenities I need to add in just 3 days. I'm really glad I took it for a test run and im feeling good about going full time.

I have one major concern regarding my setup.
I own a dual sport motorcycle, I carry it on the back of my van and use it quite often when the weather is nice.
I hate the thought of leaving it on the back of my van full time.
People love to steal motorcycles. And even though I'll probably be in my van to ward off any thieves, I just don't want to stress over it.
So I'm thinking a $50-$60/month storage unit would be worth it in my situation.
Not only for my bike but also to lighten the load in my van, (and a few other items in my girlfriends garage that will have to go soon).
I have a nice little chunk of savings and I plan on getting another job in about 2-3 months, so I'll have the money. The past 10 years I've had free storage at my moms or girlfriend garage, but im so sick of dealing with drama, I just want my own solution... and I think I've found it.
I even just got rid of my second car, which cost me $90 a month to insure, so it's like a little trade off.

Any other full timers in vans do the storage unit thing?

I don't do storage, but I think quite a few do. If I needed it, I would get a storage unit. $50 a month ain't horrible for a lil piece of mind with valuables.

I do storage, I find keeping meds or extra dog in there. I stop by maybe once a week to stock up on things. I'll give it a year then I'll get rid of it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

why not get a cargo trailer use that as storage. if you don't want to tow it 24/7 find a place to park it. you can even park it at a storage place. that way your money is going to something tangible and you could always sell it, can't sell a storage unit all that money is gone. highdesertranger

You didn't really say whether you need to live in one area or plan to travel.  If the later, HDR's suggestion about a cargo trailer is particularly good.

highdesertranger said:
why not get a cargo trailer use that as storage.  if you don't want to tow it 24/7  find a place to park it.  you can even park it at a storage place.  that way your money is going to something tangible and you could always sell it,  can't sell a storage unit all that money is gone.  highdesertranger

Finances will likely dictate. HDR had a great idea as most storage units will rent you a space and as long as your van has a trailer hitch and wiring, a single axle (no brakes needed on it) trailer of the 6'x8' or 6'x10' variety would not only hold your excess but would then be portable. Now the initial cost is a hurdle for many, a decent used trailer is likely $500-$1500, and over $2,400 new (Wells Cargo, Big-Tex etc. 6'x10').

If a small (5'x10') outside (non-climate controlled) storage space is $50-60 in your area, that's between 1 and 2 years of storage for the price of a trailer, giving you flexibility. Either one works for your bike.

I am planning on 6 months or less of storage as I weed out belongings, then limiting myself to the van. Biggest issues seem to be the trade-off of storing goods vs. minimalism and buying (used) just what you need when you need it.  It's hard to let go of things.

This world isn said:
Finances will likely dictate. HDR had a great idea as most storage units will rent you a space and as long as your van has a trailer hitch and wiring, a single axle (no brakes needed on it) trailer of the 6'x8' or 6'x10' variety would not only hold your excess but would then be portable. Now the initial cost is a hurdle for many, a decent used trailer is likely $500-$1500, and over $2,400 new (Wells Cargo, Big-Tex etc. 6'x10').
At the end of the year at $60 a month you will still have your stuff, but $720 less in your pocket with still ongoing monthly expenses. If you buy a cargo trailer, you can still store your stuff, but after the initial cost of the trailer you will only have registration fees to deal with.
My vote goes to a 6x10 enclosed trailer. That's where I put my money. That with a 3/4 ton van and you can take your portable storage with you. You could do it with a 1/2 ton as well, but I like a little extra carrying capacity.

Cargo trailer is a great option.  Throw a bed and cooking area in the trailer and you can live with your bike, or have room for girl friend.  ;_)

Kenny, have you ever seen YouTube videos from CycleCruza? He took out the front passenger seat and built a Murphy bed that folds up against the wall and gets the bike inside the van. I don't think he lives in it though, you'd have to live pretty lean as far as "stuff" goes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

There are also storage lots for RVs and trailers so if you didn't want to haul it all the time you could pay to leave it in a secure and locked lot. That would be the best of both worlds.

@Crow
I love cycle cruza. He's actually a big inparation for why I started all this...
And yes, I'm super jealous that he can fit his bike inside his van.
If I were to do it all over again, I would get a bigger van like a ford econoline or a chevy express like he has and make it so my bike can fit inside. There's no way my bike is fitting inside my Astro. It's too tall. Cycle cruza's wr250r (same bike as me) still rubs his roof when he put it inside.
The only downside I see to that method is that he doesn't have a partition. I don't think I would do a van build without a partition, for the comfort, looks, and security.

Someone earlier asked me if I was staying local or traveling, and I will be local, so a storage unit is better for me right now in my opinion. I do like the trailer idea but I do see a big downside to that being that you can't drive wherever you want, you have to be careful where you go so you don't get stuck. And parking in the city you're stuck to the backs of parking lots. I love the stealth van idea and keeping it as minimal as possible is best for my style.
So anyway today I literally called 15 different storage unit places. Finally found a 3.5"x10" unit for $70 a month, and they're totally ok with me coming and going as I want, 7 days a week.
I was hoping to find something around $50 but it's just not possible in the market I'm in. Plus most places only have 5x5 and my bike can't fit in that so a 3x10 is perfect, with some additional space for my tools and other stuff I don't want to haul around. I already have two 8' shelving pieces that I will be installing in my new unit tomorrow.
It's really nice also that my unit is actually indoors, so there's an extra layer of security as opposed to a drive up outside unit. I rode my bike over there today and they guy let me actually put my bike in to see if it was possible before i decided to rent it.. plenty of room. I'll post some pics tomorrow or the next day.

I've used storage units as needed a lot the last 12 years or so. I'd often go three or four months between having a home and so I'd store the essentials, mainly outdoor gear for the different seasons and my construction tools. Then when back in town id rent a room short term before my next trip so it was just easier to leave things in the storage unit.

With the amount you save on rent, the storage fees are minimal. In my area a years worth of a storage unit isn't even a half a month's rent.

coathanger said:
I do storage, I find keeping meds or extra dog in there. I stop by maybe once a week to stock up on things. I'll give it a year then I'll get rid of it.

I would think you should check the dog more often than once a week.

Kenny P said:
I was hoping to find something around $50 but it's just not possible in the market I'm in. Plus most places only have 5x5 and my bike can't fit in that so a 3x10 is perfect, with some additional space for my tools and other stuff I don't want to haul around. I already have two 8' shelving pieces that I will be installing in my new unit tomorrow.
It's really nice also that my unit is actually indoors, so there's an extra layer of security as opposed to a drive up outside unit. I rode my bike over there today and they guy let me actually put my bike in to see if it was possible before i decided to rent it.. plenty of room. I'll post some pics tomorrow or the next day.

Sounds like you've made your decision - good.  As long as you keep moving ahead, even a sidestep is better than going backwards!

I've also used storage units periodically over the last 20 years or so, no way would a cargo trailer have worked. Sometimes you have to use what's available, and it does fill a temporary storage need.  Guess that's why they build them, huh?
Enjoy the Astro, its a sound platform. Sometime you may want to upgrade to a full size or a Euro to get the height but this gives you experience on the cheap.  Cheap is good...

GotSmart said:
I would think you should check the dog more often than once a week.
I saw that too, but thought that had to be a typo? :huh:

This world isn said:
Enjoy the Astro, its a sound platform. Sometime you may want to upgrade to a full size or a Euro to get the height but this gives you experience on the cheap.  Cheap is good...

I'm glad I started with the Astro because it is cheaper than a full sized and I had a lot of learning to do (mistakes to be made). I'm more of a mechanic than anything, I have a little carpentry experience but not much. Doing paper templates, cutting my foam insulation, using a jigsaw to cut my finish board, wrapping my finish board in carpet, cutting and installing counter top and sink.. is all stuff I had to learn for this build.
I kept telling myself it's ok if you mess up because I knew it was inevitable and if I was going to be too much of a perfectionist i would've never finished.
I'm no pro after just one build, but I know for a fact that my second one will be much nicer.

Kenny P said:
I'm no pro after just one build, but I know for a fact that my second one will be much nicer.

For sure, the more you do it the better you get.  I've been working with wood for 20 years and I'm still learning new tricks and getting better as I go.  Figure right about the time I get close to perfecting it, i'll be too old to continue.  Life is cruel like that.

Kenny P said:
I'm glad I started with the Astro because it is cheaper than a full sized and I had a lot of learning to do (mistakes to be made). I'm more of a mechanic than anything, I have a little carpentry experience but not much. Doing paper templates, cutting my foam insulation, using a jigsaw to cut my finish board, wrapping my finish board in carpet, cutting and installing counter top and sink.. is all stuff I had to learn for this build.
I kept telling myself it's ok if you mess up because I knew it was inevitable and if I was going to be too much of a perfectionist i would've never finished.

Using the cardboard or foamboard as templates really saves time and cost. One thing for sure, you don't need to be a fanatic about getting every corner or end scribed into place. Our "homes" roll and bounce, houses  don't, (well, maybe in Cali'),  so if you get things too closely fitted then go over uneven terrain, something has to give, much like settling cracks in a traditional house.
At least that's how I excuse my workmanship...  :D

Back to the storage unit - just be careful of flooding/drainage, carpenter ants/termites and items that will get damaged due to excessive heat or freezing.  I had a storage unit that was termite infested, they literally ate the cardboard right off the boxes... I didn't see it (tucked away in the corners and underneath stuff) till a stack fell over. I've had liquids freeze and split and others "pop" or ooze out due to heat, destroying the contents.  A couple bottles of "Goo-Gone" come to mind...

A bike can be stolen from a trailer, or the trailer itself can be stolen.

I pay $35 a month for a tinny storage unit. There are times where i don't think it's worth it, but in the long run it works for me. I don't travel more than 350 miles form the storage unit in my normal travel.

My g/f and my brother have told me i can dump my stuff at there place, but don't want to get into the drama in the long run when something happens.