short vs long truck camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRRNeiklot

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a rig, and I'm considering a truck camper.  I don't have a pickup truck, so I'd need to buy one.  I am looking at a nice 4wd Chevy, but it's a short wheel base.  If I were to pull the trigger on it, I'd be restricting myself to a shorter camper.  What is the trade off on a short vs long camper? 

Thanks.

JRRNeiklot, if I were looking at a truck camper i would go for a long bed 3\4 ton 4x4 to handle the weight and give me the most choices for living quarters. The difference in short bed and long bed  camper is room to move in, a bathroom, and a larger sleeping area. Best of luck. Jeff

I listened to what turned out to be some good advice from some veterans and decided on the camper I wanted first, and then chose a truck that was a good match.  It very important to know the weight of the camper as wheel as the dimensions and desired features to ensure your truck can handle the load properly (capacity and balance).  I choose a Four Wheel Camper (pop-up) because it suited my preferences (simple, rugged, lightweight and off road capable) and then I found my 4x4 that was a good match.  Good luck!

I will have to find a used camper, so I will have to take what's available. I have found a decent deal on a 2005 GMC 4wd truck, but it's a short wheel base. 3/4 ton non diesel trucks are hard to find. I may have to look for something older. From the advice above, I guess I will pass on short beds.

It really comes down to personally preference. A little more living space or a shorter rig overall. Shorter wheelbase is easier to maneuver offroad and around town but the difference is negligible imo. The extra space of a long bed can allow you to have a wetbath and/or more storage, though there are some shortbeds campers with wetbaths too.

I like unitic's advice above. Even though you have to buy a used camper, maybe find the used camper you want first and then find a truck that fits it. I think a lot of the truck campers out there are even too big for one tons.

Not likely, since I am having to widen my search area by a few hundred miles. :-(

The only other option I can think of would be to have it delivered to a storage place. When you get your truck, go get it.
I don't have a TC but the ones I see, the pickup has to be modified to hold it with tie down points. Just food for thought.

There may be more options that someone else could come up with.

I went thru this recently.

I chose the 8 foot bed and glad I did. 

Mine is a standard cab, which is smaller inside than a crew cab or extended cab, but I was willing to put up with that to get MUCH more room that the long bed provides. 

Everyone has different needs and wants, so good luck and choose wisely, there might not be a 'do-over'...

:cool:

tx2sturgis said:
Everyone has different needs and wants, so good luck and choose wisely, there might not be a 'do-over'...

Words of wisdom right there...

Sometimes snowbirds here in AZ sell truck and camper combos together, they can be a good deal. For all but the lightest of trailers you are going to want a 1 ton truck. If you get a huge camper you need duallies, 8 foot campers can get away with single rear wheel sometimes, 9-11 foot camper need dual rear wheels, all require 1 ton trucks. Even the mid size campers are going to need a 1 ton, don't bother with 3/4 ton, they cost the same anyways.

Pop up campers sometimes can be 1/2 ton, small campers can be 3/4 ton. Especially on the older trucks, the payloads are less than on the equivalently termed 3/4 and 1 ton newer trucks.

A lot of the Chevy 4x4 comes with lockers, look for that as it is a huge deal for off roading. Look for the G80 build code on the glove box, even some Z71 4x4s don't have lockers.

Check the loaded weights of the camper, they are much heavier than you would think.

Get a long bed, the gas mileage will be the same, but that extra 2 feet makes a big difference.

The used camper market is much smaller than that for used markets. Combos even smaller but that may be your best choice. I see a lot of pop ups on 4x4’s here in SE Utah (Bear’s Ears). Storage on those will be limited.

I sleep under a canopy after unpacking my kitchen and other items. That works well it is a pain in the rain.

I wound up getting a 3/4 ton long bed reg cab and the guy basically gave me the camper 1300lbs wet and I can close the tailgate.

I have a 7' light weight home made topper that is 9' high from the ground in a 7' bed of an old jeep truck. I keep the tailgate down and use it for storage of things I don't want to store inside. It has 7 leaf springs per side that are still to light. It is hard to go wrong by getting too much truck but easy to get to little.

Unitic said:
I listened to what turned out to be some good advice from some veterans and decided on the camper I wanted first, and then chose a truck that was a good match.  It very important to know the weight of the camper as wheel as the dimensions and desired features to ensure your truck can handle the load properly (capacity and balance).  I choose a Four Wheel Camper (pop-up) because it suited my preferences (simple, rugged, lightweight and off road capable) and then I found my 4x4 that was a good match.  Good luck!

I'm contemplating getting a truck camper and have also talked to people who said to look at a camper first to see what suits my needs. THEN get a truck to match the camper.

In looking at trucks to pull a heavy trailer, you can get great bang for the buck using a gooseneck / fifth wheel hitch that puts the tongue weight over the rear axle.

A very long wheelbase is needed to get a decent living pod in front of that point, but apparently getting the frame extended and diff pushed back can be done pretty reasonably.

When not towing, that space would fit a Smartcar very neatly :cool:

My recommendation would be to get your truck with a 8 ft bed and hit Craigslist stay away from 1/2 ton if possible as that will limit you. I went with an 8' pop-up. I like closing the tailgate and having that extra landing for water and my genny when open. One ton would be ideal 3/4 ton doable ( which is what I use) non 4wd, with the Alaskan at 1650 lbs I am close to my max. pop-ups require control of baggage, but you get a lower total height which is what I needed my total vehicle investment came to a bit under 11k . Good luck

OP talked about short wheelbase. That’s different from a short truck bed. Normal wheelbase trucks can have a short bed because of cab configurations.

Back to the short wheelbase. I’m not crazy about them. Certain they have uses they are great at, but a short wheelbase and a camper screams high center of gravity and trouble.