Shore Power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limmkr

Reaction score
I'm just starting to modify my 1997 Savana to a weekend warrior. It's purpose, drive to a project where I may use a skill saw, sanders, table saw at most for work. Night comes, fridge, lights, lcd tv, coffee maker, may be in use. These projects are at peoples homes, so I'm thinking I'll be able to run an extension cord to the van. But getting online, I got carried away with batteries, types of batteries, chargers, invertors, convertors, solar, how much solar, OMG!! So I ran out and got 2 12V Duracell batteries, I think 105 AH, spent like $300. Then read more, and discovered 6V is better, so those may go back. Or do I need them at all? IF I have shore power available, should I bother? If not, what exactly do I need to distribute the power in the van to 110v and 12v accessories? Sorry if that's too much, my head is just swirling!

limmkr said:
 IF I have shore power available, should I bother?
IF shore power is available, even running 200ft of heavy cord, is better than battery options when doing construction work.

I have run off 3.5k, 4k and larger gensets, and also have many re-chargeable tools I like quite a bit.
The battery tools are actually getting very popular.

Good luck
wheels

Yeah, a friend is a general contractor and he said the same thing about battery tools. That's true, I guess a good cord and a power strip maybe the way to go.

Free grid power beats solar you must pay to maintain in most cases except boondocking it seems. Maybe charge the batteries for short trips?

Ok, even if I go that way, wouldn't I want to have the batteries for the times I'm not connected? And then is it just using the alternator for recharge? I see there is inverter/chargers and converter/charges, is either better?

Take the batteries back and then slow right down in the planning. A good electrical system suited to your needs takes time to plan out.

If you're never going to be away from shore power then a lot of stuff isn't going to be needed at all.

If you ever want to power a fridge and other 12V (or 120V) when not hooked up to shore power then a whole different ball game comes in to play.

If you want to be able to stay over at a job site and have a fridge, lights and perhaps tv then you may want to permanently wire the van to accommodate those needs.

If it's all 120V then you need one system and a way of hooking up the van to it. If some of it is 12V then you need a converter to take 120V down to 12V. If you install a battery bank and also want to use 120V then you need an inverter to take 12V up to 120V.

My van, for example, is wired for alternator charging of a battery bank when I'm driving, portable solar charging and shore power/generator charging. But I have a full and fairly complex system because I boondock almost 100% of the time and need a fair amount of power. I can run either or both 120 and 12V on an integrated system but that entails inverter, solar panels, solar charge controller, fuse block, 4 - 6V batteries, a battery charger, two inlets (1 solar, 1 120V), a solenoid, numerous fuses and an electrical sub panel with circuit breakers and a whole lot of wiring.... :D . Oh and power cords and generator.

Personally, I prefer separate components over inverter/chargers or converter/chargers. Getting one thing to do two things superbly can be difficult so I prefer specialized equipment. Also if one part fails, then you have to throw both out in most cases.

Once it's clear what you need then we can help you design the right system for you. What it costs will depend on what you need.

Yes get 6V, specifically Duracell golf cart, from Sam's Club or Batteries+

Shore power is great, but if you're ever deprived of it you need the batts, and kept fully topped up most of the year they'll last a very long time.

Make your system native DC, 12V as much as possible, minimize use of inverters.

You'll need a good quality shore charger, 30-40A is enough if only one pair of 6V GCs.

If you find yourself boondocking, then look at solar, and/or a little genny.

Almost There, you are so right! I've never been much of a planner. It's really about "what if". Like John61CT just said, I'm planning on have shore power 90% of the time, BUT I'd like to be able to least run a fan, few lights, charge the phone, for a night if I have to. I have a laptop for Netflix, I don't think a TV is a big deal, a fridge just isn't a necessity, a good cooler will do the trick. That's quite the set-up Almost There, I read alot of your build thread. Thanks for the help, Steve.

Couple of more questions. RV guy says to get adaptor to go through van to connect extension cord outside, then box to breaker. He showed me a box in a catalog 30-amp with 3-15 amp breakers and and it had a outlet on the box itself. He said get this at homedepot, my depot had nothing like it, any help on that? Also John61CT mentioned good shore charger- so many out there- whats good? Brand? cost?

I used this to allow me to hook up an extension cord to the outside of my van. I installed it in the back bumper of my van where beside the trailer wiring hookup. 

http://www.marinco.com/en/150bbi

This is wired with heavy duty extension cord wire (waterproof and flexible) from the Marinco up through a grommeted hole in the floor to a 'sub-panel' (commonly used for things like extending power to a garage or for a specific machine). The sub panel will hold up to 4 circuit breakers. One of the circuits is wired to an outlet in my 'electrical room' that the battery charger plugs in to. There are other circuits that are for electrical outlets in my living area of the van.

A good charger needs to be matched to your batteries. I use an Iota 55 amp charger for my 4 Trojan 105REs.

Latest posts