Share one weird/odd/unusual thing about yourself

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimindenver said:
Queen, my eyes are green and turn yellow but I don't think as much as yours may. They definitely change color.

Jim, as I understand it, the changing color thing is very common in people with really light eyes.  Our eyes lack pigment in the iris so they reflect the color around us.  Just like the sea.

I should have been more clear, I have the light eyes like you do, but the albinism means I also have no pigment in my macula/retina (at the back of the eye) as well.  I lucked out though, it can cause awful vision problems and I only got two of the four big issues (nystagmus and photophobia).  The nystagmus only happens when I'm very tired.

My parents were ballet dancers.  My Mom danced for the Metropolitan Opera; my Dad danced for American Ballet Theater. We'd winter in New York for ballet season and then we'd move to some vacation area (upstate NY; Palm Springs FL; etc) for them to do summer stock---schmaltzy musicals like Brigadoon, Paint Your Wagon, How to Succeed in Business, ect in a big tent. Later, my dad got a gig dancing on the Sid Ceasar show, and I remember a couple of parties at my house with him, Imogene Coca, Martha Ray, and a couple of other old school TV actors.  The old saying is, "I was born in a trunk." Growing up in show business, I'm half Jew, half Gypsy, half gay. I went to 13 different schools by the time I was in 8th grade.

Growing up we had some weird BBQs: All the lady dancers would be huddling around the grill salivating on the one burger they'd puke back up that month; and all the boys would be in the kitchen balling melons with flare. I don't think I knew a straight male (other than my father...not that I even knew what gay was back then) until I met the dad when I went to the first sleep-over in second grade. I remember thinking, "Man, this family is so quiet."

So, I'll post two things you should know about me:

1. My behavior can be over-the-top. Sorry about that.
  2. Play some loud music with a good beat and you'll be amazed at how good a fat man can dance.

Wabbit only costs about 25 bucks and you can easily install in a toilet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point I want to warn everybody posting here that you are automatically in the "You Ain't Right" club. :rolleyes:

rvpopeye said:
At this point I want to warn everybody posting here that you are automatically in the "You Ain't Right" club. :rolleyes:

I'm too busy trying to figure out how to make a functional bidet work in a plastic bag lined 5 gallon pail to worry about that right now.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I'm too busy trying to figure out how to make a functional bidet work in a plastic bag lined 5 gallon pail to worry about that right now.

hahahaha. Win.

Hey! We got a few engineers here don't we? [emoji38]

From here: https://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-it-yourself/185964-5-gallon-bucket-cheap-cloner-diy.html

IMG_46021.JPG

IMG_46052.JPG

Great find Putts!! I also wanted to say you had a fascinating childhood! Bet you have great stories.

Cammalu said:
Bet you have great stories.

Oddly, I don't feel like I have may great stories. Mostly, long after the fact, I realized my childhood just wasn't the norm at all. Lots of memories of moving; not worrying about school or homework because I knew I'd be gone before they really caught on to the fact that I was skating on my work; memories of sitting on the edge of the orchestra pit listening to show tunes; having to make friends quickly and they'd be gone just as quick; being poor as dirt son of artists and having no idea of the fact (the art made me sub-consciously feel rich); and, maybe most of all---regarding my presence here, and sense of willingness and ease of taking up a nomad lifestyle---I have no idea of home as a physical space; to me, home is the people you love and are surrounded by daily. I have no roots.

slynne said:
I have been blessed with unusually good eyesight. Recently, I noticed that my eyes have been getting worse so I had them checked. 20/20. so my vision has aged into the normal range. When I was younger though, it was nice because I could read street signs that were blocks away. I of course used to assume everyone could see as well as me so there were often instances were I could see something others couldn't like freighter names. I might say, "That boat is the FRONTENAC from Canada" and my friends would all be like "How can you know that?" I would say, "It has a Canadian flag and the ship's name is painted right on it, can't you see?"

Oh well. I dont have that superpower anymore but at least I still dont need glasses.

This is so cool, like being a superhero!!

Reading this kept tickling a memory, a book I'd read set in about 1100 AD in the SW of what would become the US.  There was a character whose name was "Long See", because as a hunter, he could see the buffalo so far off in the distance that he was thought to be mystical.

I've also read that Chuck Yeager had vision like that, it made him a wickedly good fighter pilot.

One of my ancestors is John Jacob Mickley, the guy who carried the Liberty Bell from Philadelphia to Allentown during the Revolutionary War.

Oh, and I live in a camper van. ;)

^^^Strong dude.   ;)

I wonder what he thought at the time about the meaning of his cargo?

I dream in color (and smell) and die regularly in my dreams. It never really does hurt.

Putts said:
^^^Strong dude.   ;)

I wonder what he thought at the time about the meaning of his cargo?

He thought it was REAAAALLLYYYY heavy.  ;)  One of the wheels broke on his wagon just as he reached Bethlehem PA, so he had to transfer the bell to another wagon belonging to a militia member named Lieser.

I diaried the story at my history blog, here:

https://lflank.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/the-liberty-bells-wagon-trip/

I have Alpha-gal (meat allergy) given to me by a tick bite. I am a vegetarian as a result.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk