Sewing Machine Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinallyFree

Reaction score
I'm wanting to buy a sewing machine that will be adequate for making quilts, curtains and alterations to clothing. I would like something that's easy enough for a beginner to learn on yet robust enough to accomplish the above. Preferably lightweight, compact and durable. I certainly don't need something capable of a hundred different stich patterns. Any advise from seasoned sewing veterans appreciate.

David

I have a Singer 44S classic. They go for about $150. There are a number of Singer heavy duty machines. I think the difference is the number of types of stitches. The Brother CS6000i gets good reviews and may be better for fancy stitches. I almost bought a Janome HD3000, (I was looking for a machine mostly for canvas work). Then a friend gave me the Singer, (he bought it to redo the seats in his car and never got around to using it).

There are basically two types of machines. Mechanical and electronic. The mechanical tend to be heavy duty, the electronic have more stitch options. The brother machine I listed is electronic.

Youtube is a good resource for getting machine reviews.

Go old!

Seriously, the new machines made today are made with all plastic parts. Sewing machine repair technicians consider them  to be disposable. Many refuse to even work on them, telling you it's cheaper to replace them than repair them.

Get something from the 50/60's and it's made of all steel/metal parts including the case.

I'm using a 401A that is from the 50's - I used it to sew for a living (hard use, in excess of 30 hours a week for years) and it is still ticking like a well wound clock. 3 generations from now it will still be working fine.

The 401A has discs and settings on it that I will never ever use but if I wanted to they are there. It is not computerized, you set the dials.

It is a little heavier than todays' lightweight machines but that's because it's made with steel helix driven gears that don't wear out instead of plastic that breaks in a heartbeat.

Before you buy, check with your mother/grandmother to see if they have one kicking around. Like any used vehicle, expect to have to take it in to a repair shop for a clean up and tuning before using it.

If you have to buy one, expect to pay somewhere in the $100. to $200. range for one that has already been tuned up, less if they have no idea when it was last run or even if it runs. Since they're indestructable, non running is usually an easy fix but don't pay much for it ($25.00 maybe!). A friend picked up one at a church rummage sale for $10.00 that simply needed adjusting and an oil job.

My first job after high school 45 yrs ago was sewing duffle bags at a sweat shop in Cocoa Fl...............

When I hit the road in a couple months I'll carry my personal Singer Featherweight 221..........

I have several old machines sitting idle...............

This Made in Great Britain Singer 328K is a beauty...........I'm willing to give-it-away to a tribal member....let me know     doug

Attachments

• Singer 328K.jpg
    Singer 328K.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 26
I have had about 3 newer machines and this last one is a Janome, lighter weight and reviewing well on Amazon. It is supposed to sew through layers of denim, they lied, it is OK, but I don't see it holding up for years. I have been looking at the Goodwill auction site online for the oldies but goodies like PFAFF at a reasonable cost. Plastic junk is a good description of what seems to be readily available.

I been looking also for a smaller and lighter and they all review poorly.

I recently got out my mother's old Kenmore from early 1960s.  It made some nasty noises.  It is now oiled, 2 new belts, and works like new.  It doesn't write words in thread, has no spell check, no downloadable fonts.  It does variable width zigzag for button holes, variable length straight stitch, reverse, and special stretch stitch, 2 forward one reverse.  I would hesitate to use it on fire retardant plastic upholstery material like school bus seats.  Denim waist bands and pockets folded thick will break a needle if you aren't careful (skilled) but the machine is good for it.  It runs fine off the inverter.  There are good used machines in attics all over.  I would be reluctant to buy a new one.

So tthe general consensus is don't buy anything new which is about what I was expecting. I still have one aunt living that's about 80 and she just might have one to.give me. Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated!
David

abnorm said:
My first job after high school 45 yrs ago was sewing duffle bags at a sweat shop in Cocoa Fl...............

When I hit the road in a couple months I'll carry my personal Singer Featherweight 221..........

I have several old machines sitting idle...............

This Made in Great Britain Singer 328K is a beauty...........I'm willing to give-it-away to a tribal member....let me know     doug

Sending a PM

Jewellann

Check thrift stores. I picked up an old metal Jerome machine 15 bucks at goodwill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Trebor English said:
Isn't every job in Cocoa at a sweat shop?

Har-Har........Just the price we pay for living in "paradise"......I don't even own a pair of long pants.......

By-the-way........... TxJayBird nabbed that sewing machine pending future pickup/delivery or Pony Express...............doug

Sewing machine shops have used machines for sale at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've sewed extensively since the 1970s. I currently have three sewing machines. Guess which is my default (really my only) choice? My 1976 Sears Kenmore heavy steel plain vanilla one.

I've had at least 8-9 machines over the decades. The Kenmore does the toughest jobs. The decorative stitches in the other machines are nice, but the only sewing I do nowadays is utilitarian.

Old 40 year machine has my vote.

I just bought a Singer 4423 Heavy Duty. Brand new from amazon, $130 bucks, delivered I. 2 days. It's mechanical, not electronic. No fancy options. Metal, not plastic. I'm planning to do upholstery work. Set it up today. I'll let you know how it works.

One key is to use good quality thread and bobbins. And keep a machine well oiled and maintained for maximum performance.

I saw Singer 32 stitch portables on sale for $69 dollars a few days ago at ALDI's.

Similar to this link below.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/6..._term=Singer&gclid=CI2StL3eotICFQQMaQodc04K1g

M_82207_646366.jpg

Bringing my machine and serger on the road with me is an essential. I have 5 machines, but figure on only bringing the two. How are you guys powering them? I do clothing and upholstery, so I figure that is a good service/barter tool for the vagabond lifestyle. Open to suggestions.

Sounds like a good way to do something you love so you never have to "work". :cool:
That's how I pick my jobs too!

Singer Featherweight 221
heart.gif

My Featherweight was a gift from my grandmother on my 11th birthday.  I was thrilled & learned the basics by sewing custom marble bags (!) for my schoolyard friends, then began making doll clothes.  My Featherweight went off to college with me, then later after I was married was used for altering hems, making curtains, pillow covers, & duvet covers.

Always, while adventuring in Mexico & Guatemala, my Featherweight went along, powered by a mini solar panel, small inverter, & plugged into the cigarette lighter of my Westfalia.  In Guatemala I bought lengths of hand woven cloth & sewed them into wrap skirts with deep patch pockets & sold them to other traveling gringas.  This allowed me to extend my travel time in Guatemala by a full year.

Once, in a discussion with women friends about what we would grab while running out of a house fire & I said, & meant it, I would grab my Featherweight.  When I take to the road again, it goes with me.  There is NO better made sewing machine than a Featherweight 221.  It is bulletproof, can be easily adjusted by me when needed.  Nothing goes wrong with a Featherweight.  Housed in their own carry case--the size of a "train case"--they take up very little room & are worth their weight in gold.  BTW, Featherweights are preferred by quilters hands down.

The ability to sew, create simple patterns, & make appropriate fabric choices is a valuable skill & a practical & pleasurable creative outlet on the road.

Charlotte
lightbulb.gif