Sewing Machine Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone asked about power requirements for sewing machines. Most have 100 watt motors, which means 1 amp at 120 volts, or thereabouts. A 400 watt inverter will likely handle this load, although I'd rather have a 750 watt inverter for it. The reason for this is that a motor, being an inductive load, will RUN at 100 watts, but will quite often START UP at 300-400 watts, depending on how heavy the fabric or leather you're sewing. The law of inertia also applies to electricity. Thicker splits of leather, like multiple layers of denim or canvas, will require more current to get started moving. a 100-watt solar panel or two combined with a decent charge controller and deep-discharge/golf batteries will work fine for them. I also wouldn't hesitate to use a marine battery with a single 100-watt panel, but it will run down as fast as it charges, even in the most ideal conditions, so you will have to consider that when using it. I can't speak for the experience of others.

I have about 5-6 of these heavy tanks running from a 1940 model, to 60's models. All were purchased between $5 and $25, and will require a tune-up at the shop. I haven't bothered with it yet, due to my current living arrangements. I also have one of those cute little plastic "starter machines" that run on batteries or a 6-volt wall wart I haven't tried out, but the price, like the others, was too cheap to pass up.

The Singer Featherweight Model #221 mentioned elsewhere, followed by the Phaff #130, are indeed the envy of every quilter. Light, but built like tanks, they run about $300-400 here in southern Ohio flea markets with the case, if you can find one at all. Those who have one generally know what they have, as well as it's value. It's simply the finest straight-stitch machine ever made. I can get ten of the others for the price of one of them, so I won't bother trying to get one. It's a "bang-for-bucks" kind of thing. Also, I buy on sight, or in person, because I don't want to pay shipping for one of these. Did we mention these things are built like TANKS?

Your mileage may vary.

I am surprised by all the interest in this (ahem) thread. If there are this many people interested in sewing, why is it so hard for traditional male cavemen to find seamstresses on the road? I swear I could schedule brain surgery with less trouble than finding someone who can fix my screwed up jackets and zippers. Sports equipment of various kinds is expensive, and worth spending some money on to fix. (Bicycle or hiking pants and shorts, etc.)

So why don't more sewing-adept people offer their services for hire, on the road? Maybe they do, and I just don't know where to look for them.

Kabloonie if you go to the senior center in Quartzsite on Tuesdays there is a quilt club in there with loads of sewing machines. I’m sure you can talk one of them into a few repairs.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
I am surprised by all the interest in this (ahem) thread. If there are this many people interested in sewing, why is it so hard for traditional male cavemen to find seamstresses on the road? I swear I could schedule brain surgery with less trouble than finding someone who can fix my screwed up jackets and zippers. Sports equipment of various kinds is expensive, and worth spending some money on to fix. (Bicycle or hiking pants and shorts, etc.)

So why don't more sewing-adept people offer their services for hire, on the road? Maybe they do, and I just don't know where to look for them.

Most of us are retired and try very hard not to do stuff.

The other problem is that things like messed up zippers usually take a couple of hours to o a decent job of replacing (not repairable) so unless someone is willing to work for less than minimum wage the charges exceed what the average person is prepared to pay.
highdesertranger said:
you should have gone to the "Van Build".  highdesertranger

Yes, the group of us working in the 'Sew What' tent managed to do 136 sewing projects of every description over the 2 weeks of the van build.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:

Would you want to mend a strange guys bike shorts? 

Trust me, women know exactly where those bicycle shorts  or any other kind of shorts or pants  have been, as in right in your  crotch.  Go buy a new pair if they need mending or do that chore for yourself.  Or take them to a dry cleaner establishment who offers alteration services, after professionally cleaning that garment.

Develop some common sense about what you ask of women you don't know that you may meet in campgrounds. Asking them to mend such a personal garment is likely to make them immediately tag you as a pervert or at best a clueless lame brain. There is an old fashioned word for such behavior towards a lady, that word is "indelicate". You might meet some women who don't care but out there on the road most women are on high alert for anything even slightly creepy that guys who approach them say to them.

in·del·i·cate
/inˈdeləkət/
adjective
adjective: indelicate
  1. 1.
    having or showing a lack of sensitive understanding or tact.
    "forgive me asking an indelicate question, but how are you for money?"
    synonyms:
    insensitive, tactless, inconsiderate, undiplomatic, impolitic
    "an indelicate question"

antonyms:
    tactful
  2. 2.
    slightly indecent.
    "an earthy, often indelicate sense of humor"
    synonyms:
    vulgar, rude, crude, tasteless, bawdy, racy, risqué, ribald, Rabelaisian, earthy, indecent, improper, naughty, indecorous, off-color, dirty, smutty, raunchy
    "an indelicate sense of humor"

I like the cheap under/at 100$ singer at Micheal's site it is light and only has a few stitches to mess with.
 I have 3 f them.....

What do you sew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diazsjonathan8 said:
I sew for a living and mainly use my serger(Brother Sewing and Quilting Machine, CS6000i), so I just needed a basic sewing machine with a decent number of stitch options. I bought a cheap $80 brother at Walmart and it was terrible. No power, no stitch options, and just felt cheap. I was very skeptical of this one because it was the same brand and not much more expensive, but wow. This hands-down has to be the best value around for a sewing machine that comes with several stitch options and a lot of computerized perks. Threading the needle and bobbin is a breeze! The only complaint I have is that the fastest speed isn't very fast, especially on a zig zag stitch.

Either you are Kayla R from the review on Amazon or you simply copied and pasted in that Amazon review from March 2017

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/a...6PRAEMR2HLT4TN5A/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_gw_tr?ie=UTF8
default._CR0,0,1024,1024_SX48_.png

https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/a...6PRAEMR2HLT4TN5A/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_gw_tr?ie=UTF8Kayla R
https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/a...6PRAEMR2HLT4TN5A/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_gw_tr?ie=UTF8
5.0 out of 5 starsLove the machine
March 9, 2017
Style Name: CS6000iVerified Purchase
I sew for a living and mainly use my serger, so I just needed a basic sewing machine with a decent number of stitch options. I bought a cheap $80 brother at Walmart and it was terrible. No power, no stitch options, and just felt cheap. I was very skeptical of this one because it was the same brand and not much more expensive, but wow. This hands-down has to be the best value around for a sewing machine that comes with several stitch options and a lot of computerized perks. Threading the needle and bobbin is a breeze! The only complaint I have is that the fastest speed isn't very fast, especially on a zig zag stitch. All in all, if you're doing basic sewing, I highly recommend!!

Singer Slant-O-Matic 401A

http://davesmidcenturystuff.blogspot.com/2012/03/singer-401a-slant-o-matic-sewing.html

You'll NEVER be sorry. :)
Also check out the Rockateer 500?.. basically same machine; it just has cooler body style.

https://mellysews.com/why-i-love-my-old-singer-503-sewing/

I still have my mom's 1959 Cabinet model 401A Slant; painted cabinet white and looks waaay better.
Then I got a Rockateer for travel in original hard plastic case. :)

They aren't makin' em like this anymore. ALL STEEL parts. You Can't kill it!! :):)

Once I know I'll have the storage space (I have to sell my scanner), I plan to get the SINGER Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine with 23 Built-In Stitches. I've seen a video where a guy sewed through a yardstick with that thing. Mostly metal construction. Plus, it's pretty compact. I think it is only 6" x 19" x 11", so it can pack away easily even in a small van. And it only uses about 80 watts, so it can be easily powered off of solar.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

LoveCareThinkDo said:
Once I know I'll have the storage space (I have to sell my scanner), I plan to get the SINGER Heavy Duty 4423 Sewing Machine with 23 Built-In Stitches. I've seen a video where a guy sewed through a yardstick with that thing. Mostly metal construction. Plus, it's pretty compact. I think it is only 6" x 19" x 11", so it can pack away easily even in a small van. And it only uses about 80 watts, so it can be easily powered off of solar.

It sounds great, who wouldn't want a machine like that. The problem is the price - it's too low.

Just my gut feeling, take it for what it's worth.

LoveCareThinkDo said:

you should read this review. https://www.techgearlab.com/reviews/electronics/sewing-machine/singer-4423-heavy-duty
It is straight forward and does a good job of covering all the plus and minus  details of the machine. Not one of the hype, its just great kind of reviews, and not one of the bash everything review either. The issue that most concerned me when looking at this review is that the tension on the long straight stitching, which is what you will be doing most of the time, is not reliably consistent, it varies too much. A good, accurate tension setting is critical for doing good quality sewing. Forget all those fancy 23 stitches because if you have straight and zig zag and maybe a stretch stitch or button hole feature that will do you just fine.

One feature that is a great bonus to have is an even feed option either built in or an accessory foot. That helps the upper fabric and the lower fabric to move together at the same pace. Very essential when working with slippery materials, sticky materials or sewing together two different types of materials.

I had the cousin to the Singer 4423. It was the 44s classic, (I think it is just rebadged this for Walmart sales).
It is a good machine, but only some of the stitches are adjustable for length. When you move the selector to the S1 position to get the other stitches, you lose the length adjustment. Same with the 4432 and the 4452. Before I gave the machine to a friend I never really noticed this. The stitches looked good to me so I never thought to change the length. The friend was still happy with it a year later.
I also have the Janome 3000. It has fewer stitches than some of those Singers, but all are adjustable. I just ordered a Necchi 22HD, (made By Janome). I hear it is about the same as the Janome 1000.
For most sewing on the road you only need 2 stitches, straight and zig zag. Some of the old heavy duty machines of the past like the Singer 237 would get er done.

Anyone in Quartzsite over the winter want to get together a sew I’m up for it. I already go to the quilters club there. We park in La Posa South.

I use a Brother that I bought at Walmart for like $100. It is a simple machine that has sewn a million miles without one single problem. I sew professionally (We have a canvas shop that we set up at Mtn Man Rendezvous') and have sewn buckskin with it. It has done really well.

annapearl said:
I use a Brother that I bought at Walmart for like $100.  and have sewn buckskin with it.  It has done really well.

Which model is it? From what I hear with Brother it is hit and miss. Some models great, some poor.

If you own an older Singer Featherweight then this video is a great one for you to bookmark. It was created by "The Featherweight Shop" channel on youtube.

The video discusses how the mechanics of the machine work, what a perfect stitch looks like and how to adjust the machine if it is not working perfectly.

Always good information to know to save you time, frustration and the cost of taking it in and spending $$ on what is actually an easy to do adjustment.