Self Inflating mattresses when used full time

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forestwalker62

Reaction score
I went to REI to buy a self inflating sleep pad for full time use, (was willing to spend up to $150) and the manager talked me out of it! He said these are not for full time use, and would not last if used so much. I left empty handed. 

So I ask all of you, how long has your self inflating mattress lasted when used full time?  What brand is it? Especially if you are a bit over weight?  Do you replace it yearly? Do you keep it under inflated?

How many are just using a slab of cheap foam bought at Home Depot? How many are using a regular stick and brick mattress?  I prefer something very narrow, and currently sleep on a folded queen size cotton quilt, folded into 28“ on a plastic shelf base.  But it’s difficult to wash and dry something of that size on a regular basis, as it doesn’t fit into a regular house washing machine or dryer, which is something I desire.

I've been happy with a cheap egg crate topper. I cover it with a sheet. It can be cut to whichever width you need and could be replace annually if needed.

I use multiple layers including blown out ‘under inflated’ thermarest pads - what I had. That includes a yoga mat and closed cell foam backpacking pads which insulate better. I top it all with a cotton chaise lounge pad which is washable.

They do make heavy duty sleeping pads that are popular with full time seasonal guides. They started as a rafting product and are made from the same material. They are pricey.

We had a Thermorest double mattress that was used cumulatively for years. I bought it from REI in 1996 and finally, in 2016 or 2017, one side's valve would no longer hold air. That thing went everywhere and was packed up and unpacked from the stuff sack countless times. It saw a lot of harsh treatment including a lot of rocky ground and lots of, shall we say, "activity".

We have several Thermorest self-inflating mattress, decades old that are still kicking. In fact, I just gave #4 son a 6' long one from the 1990's to keep in his Honda Fit for unplanned overnights so he wouldn't have to go to a hotel.

Maybe they're not as well made nowadays. But I'm old now, and the bones are not as forgiving, so I have 6" memory foam mattresses in the vans.
Ted

This is timely, as I’ve been wanting to ask about mattresses and the search function gave many loosely related results.
I know some on here have recc’d the custom made mattresses from military supply company whose name I’ve forgotten, but I’ve also heard that the sealed air mattresses won’t get moisture inside them...

I was also considering that I am only five foot, and don’t need a 70+ inch mattress...

I’d love some more insight...

I don't know how some people can sleep with such a thin mattress.

If you were to watch the video where Bob Wells describes his build you will find out that he uses two Thermarest self inflating mattresses, stacked up for his everyday normal bed. Watch this video from cheaprvliving about staying warm, he talks about this mattress in the first 5 minutes.

There is a link under the video for purchasing the self inflating mattress from Amazon, its an affiliate link with a small percentage that goes to support Bob Wells.
https://www.amazon.com/Therm-Rest-L...d207447198b6b8b87e58aac737a961&language=en_US

My new bed cushions were free, they are high density foam. There is a local upholstery shop that does a lot of work for boat owners. It is not usual that when a boat sells the new owner gets all new cushions. The old foam is still in great shape. This shop has always had a tradition of putting the old, still usable foam pieces into a big box under their outside stairway. Free to anyone and they even post it on craigslist in the free section.

So now I have new to me, lovely cushions. I wanted it to be three identical sized pieces so I can switch them around. The middle position cushion gets the most wear compression from sitting on it as well as that being the heaviest part of the body mass when asleep. As I had plenty of the foam I even made a 4th cushion for a spare and to create a backrest for sitting as my bed is narrow but deeper than a typical couch. There is not issue of gap between the cushions as there is are walls at the far ends of the bed, so I made it a snug fit to keep the cushion tight against each other.

I made my own zipper cushion covers.

But I do have an inflatable mattress I can use if I have guest now and again. I took some fleece from the fabric store and sewed what is a giant sized pillow case to slip over it. That is very easy to wash and it protects the surface of the mattress, makes it a warmer surface for winter time. Plus it looks nice on its own as a surface when the sleeping bag or quilts are stowed away during the day. Just a simple grey, white and black plaid pattern.

I have three Thermarest mattresses. I rarely use them anymore. one thing you can count on with air mattresses is eventually they will leak. also with any air mattresses firmness changes with elevation and temperature changes. so if you are changing elevation or are in the desert where you can have wild temperature swings in a matter of hours you are constantly fiddling with it. my recommendation is to use a more conventional mattress. either foam or spring. highdesertranger

Inflatables when used full time in a sticks and brick will leak after a while. It's their nature.

The inflatables cannot absorb moisture. If one sweats while sleeping, for whatever reason, the moisture just lays there. A non closed foam top pad becomes a sponge.

I use a HyperVent pad underneath a Walmart mattress in a box. This product was created for use on boats.
http://hyperventmarine.com/products.html

In my cargo van I use a double layer of yoga pads, roughing it, but it does soften the wood surface of the bed enough to sleep.

I use that same hypervent under my latex mattress. I use a waterproof mattress cover around the mattress to keep it from absorbing water. I use sheets because they are easy to wash.

I use an Ikea futon mattress in my van.  They're not a single, queen-sized piece of foam, but two separate pieces of very firm foam in their own zippered covers.  They're connected to each other with a cloth "hinge" so they fold into a couch, if needed. 

I just made a new bed platform for my van, so I simply cut the hinge and used the 32" wide side of the mattress. 
The other side is 24", but that's too narrow for me.  I can easily sleep on a 32" wide bed, though, as I use a sleeping bag and only sleep on my back. 
There's actually plenty of room to sleep on my side too, if I want. 

Foam is crazy-expensive around here.   :s

I use one of those amazon tri-fold twin-size foam mattresses, and "store" my roll-up camping cot mattress on top of it. Very comfortable.

Don't know yet how this will hold up to a season's work of condensation. But I've seen nothing to worry me on my shake-down cruises, so...

I have found that the less expensive foam mattresses only last about a year before the central area gets too compressed to offer much of a cushion.

The longest span I have spent sleeping on self inflating mattresses was 3 weeks. I needed to stack two of them together, one was a cheep one, the other was better quality. That worked just fine but I can't speak as to longevity.

But cheaper foam and self inflating might have a shorter life span than a high quality foam mattress which is a more expensive initial purchase. So I think the math for the cost when looked at over a 4 to 6 year span will likely be much the same.

Your choice might come down to what you can afford now. If you plan on living in your RV for a lot of years and you have the funds for a good quality mattress it will be worthwhile. If you don't have the cash then go for the shorter life span products and put money aside for a better quality one.

Remember those old metal folding cots?? The mattress on them is great. They fold nicely when not in use and you can put other mattresses under them. Maybe eBay. That’s what I use but again I’m 5’3”.

I'll be sleeping on my dinette benches with the table down. I want to use the bed in the cab-over area of the truck camper for storage. I've only slept in my TC three nights so far, but every morning the cushion on the slippery table top had moved. It moved far enough that my body was partly on the table top.

I'm hoping a piece of foam over the cushions will prevent them from moving. Does that seem realistic?

I want to be able to roll up the foam every morning & store it in the cab-over area.

You might try some of that shelf liner stuff between the cushion and the table top. It works wonders on my shelves to keep stuff from moving.

Thanks. I didn't think of that. I actually threw some in the camper a couple months ago, thinking it would help a basket from sliding around.

The non skid coated mesh made for putting under rugs works great for keeping the mattress from sliding around. It comes in larger sized pieces than shelf liner and is often a less expensive than shelf liner.

Another choice of material that works to keep the mattress from shifting while at the same time adding a little extra cushion and some insulation too are Yoga/exercise mats. They are made to be non skid because you can't have them shifting when you step on them, both top and bottom sides resist skidding. They are easy to trim to size, the surface is easy to wipe clean or hose off as they are closed cell foam. You can often find them in thrift stores as well as in sporting goods stores and of course at Walmart. So I think in many ways they are the very best solution for a non skid layer.

Years ago I went to Walmart and purchased a 4" two sided foam mattress topper, one side firm and the other soft. I cut it to fit inside the cheapest 40 degree sleeping bag Walmart had on sale and stuffed the foam inside then sewed the openings and zippers shut. I usually sleep on top of another sleeping bag with a quilt or comforter as covers. This is on a 1/2" plywood platform and works great.