self builds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ha I recognize it now from that other forum. as soon as I saw those jack mounts I knew. so is the roof strong enough to walk on? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
ha I recognize it now from that other forum. as soon as I saw those jack mounts I knew. so is the roof strong enough to walk on? highdesertranger

HAH, yes, I am a member of both forums. The people on this forum are more down to earth IMO and accepting of homebrew stuff like our build. Plus I will probably meet some of them (you) on the road as we are going to travel in this camper across the USA for the next 5 years (after selling the house).

Yes, the roof is strong enough to walk on. I used 1x1 but on top of that is 1/2" marine ply then the 0.040 aluminum. Also there is 2 inches of rigid foam in between the 1x1 roof trusses which adds some strength. If it flexes, it is not much and not noticeable.

That being said, I did increase the roof truss steel in the garage pod to 1x2 which is much stiffer. A slight increase in weight but I will be putting canoe/kayak/whatever on top of the garage pod and wanted the extra strength. It is shorter in height than the main camper by a foot to allow for the kayaks to not increase the overall height of the vehicle.

great info, thanks. you know what, I think I also asked you some questions about the build on that forum. I agree with you about the general feel of this forum, bob and the mods do a great job. highdesertranger