self builds

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admire those who have the skills to build their own conversions. I do not have those skills nor the tools to do so. So several years ago, after giving my truck with camper shell to my sister, I started looking at small RV's. I looked for five years for a Class B that was in good shape and that I could drive as a daily driver and pay off while I was still working.

I have had my 2003 LTV for almost five years now and love it. It has a diesel engine that only had 77,000 miles on it when I bought it....not even broken in. Gets 22 mpg. It has all of the original appliances in it and all work fine. The interior is white which reflects a lot of light and is decorated like a beach condo. I recently replaced the circuit board in the hot water heater myself thanks to a bit of troubleshooting ability and mechanical aptitude. I replaced all of the tires, which had good tread but were 7 years old and I didn't want to have a blow out on the way to work. All of the mechanics who have seen it want to buy it. It's in very good shape.

I wish that I could build my own, but I do love the one I have and will keep it as long as it will get me where I want to go.

That reminds me. I need to go wash the salt spray off of it after spending five days camping right on the beach off the grid. Have I said that I love my van?

Just converted a 2014 Sprinter and delivered it. She was a treat to drive the 380 miles round trip(towing a '72 Beetle one way), and all the bells and whistles were fun, but I enjoyed the drive home in my '80 chevy van just as much.
Oh, and the sales tax on the sprinter was more than I have invested in my chevy.....
Building a unit to my specs is half the fun, being a bit unique doesn't hurt either.

For us, our "sweat equity" is pretty high. We have the skills but not the dollars. We bought a (1986) Blue Bird All American FE (same chassis a Wanderlodge USED to be built on) for $1400. Right now, we are almost finished. Still under $6K in the conversion. I fgure I will go over $6K but stay under $8K including a generator. That means we have a 40 ft Blue Bird motorhome for well under $10K. And we could not buy a used Wanderlodge in good shape for that. We put a lot of things in it that we already owned and did not want to part with. We have only two "RV" things in it as well. We have a Residential Vehicle, not a Recreational Vehicle. Big difference. We have remodeled a hard sided popup (several times as our needs changed) and a vintage orphan Class C to suit our tastes, needs and wants. The Class C's construction bothered us. Each house we have owned was extensively remodeled too. This will be the last RV we own. The bus will probably out last us and I plan on living until I hit 100 years old. I feel like this... why would anyone self build their own house when there are plenty on the market already built and ready to buy and move into? All the reasons could be applied to self converting.

66788 said:
Hey Bob, where's the thumbs down button?

I've looked at many many used RVs, many new ones as well.... and these are the conclusions I've reached.

What part of this post do you want to give a "thumbs down"?

* Post edited by moderator *

Since this is 'cheaprvling.com' I thought self builds were the heart of what goes on here, in fact what makes this place different from 'Iliveinabigassclassaandyoudon't.com'.

Bob writes about hanging reflectix, sliding a piece of ply over some milk crates, couple of totes, a bucket, a water jug and you're just about done. Articles like the $60 build illustrate a way that maybe freedom doesn't have to cost a lot.

At least that's why I come here.

i think its all valid and good options, your needs, circumstances and preferences just determine which way you go.
As for stealth...i think commercial rvs lose 'sneaky' stealth but gain a sort of acceptance you dont get with a van conversion that makes up for it. Most people see an rv with people obviously sleeping it, or with pets or children in it, and think nothing of it and move on. Cargo van not so much, a certain suspicion or at best curiousity draws unwanted attention.

AltTransBikes said:

Since this is 'cheaprvling.com' I thought self builds were the heart of what goes on here, in fact what makes this place different from 'Iliveinabigassclassaandyoudon't.com'.

You nailed it ATB!

Some intersting answers. Some people stealth, some people don't. Much of it seemed to be a preference for personalized space. Some do it for pleasure. Some do it as a creative outlet. Some prefer better construction than they feel is commercially done. It is interesting.

I like the close relationship I have with my van. I get to know her better, dig deep inside, know her quirks, get to know how she works. To me, a classic car that starts with the turn of the key, that smooth, purring mechanical marvel coming to life, ready to roll to the next adventure is sweet heaven. I give my sweat and blood to know that when it's time for her to care for me, I know she will get me there and back. The only way I can do this is by "fixing her up". That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

coolmom42 said:
I've looked at many many used RVs, many new ones as well.... and these are the conclusions I've reached.

I've owned numerous RVs, new and used, and I've done a van conversion - a Dodge - and I think the thumbs down was for your initial sentence, and I agree with the sentiment. You don't need to spend six figures to get a well constructed unit.

Look for the basic no- frill Units. They are generally designed with equipment suitable to the size of the unit. The salesman will want to upgrade you, but that's for his benefit, not yours.

Our current one was cheaper, but it basically had what we wanted in the floor plan we wanted. It had some issues we knew of, but nothing I couldn't change. I'm going to remodel the wet bath to what we want.

I would like to thing that all the hard work into my rig is a reflection of myself. Since I am not an "off the shelf" person, why should I drive the same thing anyone else can buy. Plus it is specifically made to my wants and needs...

coolmom42 said:

There are good RVs for a lot less than what you say, and I have owned half a dozen Dodge vans and RVs and find them to be affordable, dependable, and well built, as will many others who use this site.

That's the basis for the thumbs down comment, but I do realize that your experiences may be a lot different from mine, so I should temper my comments. Nothing personal I can assure you!

AltTransBikes said:

Bob writes about hanging reflectix, sliding a piece of ply over some milk crates, couple of totes, a bucket, a water jug and you're just about done. Articles like the $60 build illustrate a way that maybe freedom doesn't have to cost a lot.

Well said, and I agree totally, but let's not limit the utility of this site to cheap conversions.

There are craftsmen, engineers, and others who create unique functional living spaces for many different tastes. I like first class on an economy budget, and that's what I find here as well.

And everyone has a different idea of what constitutes first class, and what constitutes an economy budget!

Bela said:
The interior is white which reflects a lot of light and is decorated like a beach condo.
Sounds perfect!

Ok. This just my general observation

It seems that women in general have much more of an aesthetic nesting urge than men do. I said "in general," so if you don't fit that statement, fine. But there are reasons that cars and beers advertise during football games and Joanne Fabrics does not. The size of the nest is irrelevant. Most women are going to care that the flatware matches and the colors coordinate and if whatever they do have is "nice." A lot of men couldn't care less about that.

jeanontheroad said:
Ok. This just my general observation

It seems that women in general have much more of an aesthetic nesting urge than men do. I said "in general," so if you don't fit that statement, fine. But there are reasons that cars and beers advertise during football games and Joanne Fabrics does not. The size of the nest is irrelevant. Most women are going to care that the flatware matches and the colors coordinate and if whatever they do have is "nice." A lot of men couldn't care less about that.
I like things to be 'nice' and orderly, even when living in a shoebox... heck it's even more important then! My son's are not like me in that regard, chaos is perfectly alright with them, in fact better since it eliminates the cleanup time after a project. Later if they need to fix one of the cars they first have to spend an hour looking for the tools, it drives me crazy, and my younger son's wife is just as bad...

I agree on wanting things to look nice in my nest. My van was used and there were some cosmetic things I wanted to fix. The counter top laminate was broken, the bed/couch cushions needed re-upholstering, carpet replaced. I replaced all of those things myself with materials I found on sale. (Cushion material at Jo Ann's Fabrics, lol) The carpet was some that my mother had in the attic. Making a new countertop was something I had not done before but it turned out well I think. Made a folding counter-top extension with the left over material. I liked the white interior but it was stark, so I found some pictures of seagulls, pipers and sea turtles online.....printed them out and made little frames from bamboo sticks. The pics were light enough to be held up by double sided tape that can easily be pulled off without marring the wall. All done as cheaply as possible.

Van roof is next. Original paint was poor and these vans have a history of rusting easily. I can see a lot of spots up there and plan on fixing that in a couple of weeks. I thought about white truck bed liner paint but the good stuff with high UV protection is expensive, so I'll just treat the rust and paint it for now.

Bela said:
Van roof is next. Original paint was poor and these vans have a history of rusting easily. I can see a lot of spots up there and plan on fixing that in a couple of weeks. I thought about white truck bed liner paint but the good stuff with high UV protection is expensive, so I'll just treat the rust and paint it for now.

In addition to being awfully expensive, truck bed liner is probably not your best choice for use on a roof.

They make white coatings specifically for use on rv roofs, and they are aplied by diy owners all the time.

Dicor is one good brand. There are others.

Regards
John