• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Seeking someone with Electrical skills in MA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anhedonic

Reaction score
I'm trying to find an electrician to do my solar and DC build and I'm having trouble finding someone who won't charge an arm and a leg and who will do this small a job. While I could pick up the skills I need to do it myself, I'm not physically capable of doing the install and really needs someone who knows what he or she is doing and can do the job start to finish. 

The build will involve two solar panels on the roof (600w total), a 300ah LFP battery, shore power, an AC and fan (both will be installed shortly), and a connection to both a generator and the alternator/starter battery. There will also be a placeholder for a fridge, and a few lights and outlets in the van, but not too much. 

I can pay, not huge amounts, but reasonably.

You might want to try asking a mechanic instead of an electrician. In my area of mass the electricians are always very busy and expensive. Any competent mechanic should have ample 12v dc electrical knowledge to install solar.

Some of the electricians for S&B and commercial have very little low voltage training which 12V DC is. They are great at 120V AC and up though.

I understand your frustration- I am in the Northeast as well. My experience searching for help in building out a van or installing solar has been nil. I have concluded (accurately or not) that it's a geographical issue.
The West and Southwest seem to have builders, solar installers, battery experts, etc. en masse, because there are a hell of a lot more clients there than here.

Once I had this realization, I also began to feel grateful: the last thing I want is to fall into the hands of someone up here who SAYS they can do solar installs, battery/ electrical, etc. in a van and then I hire them and they charge me an arm and a leg AND possibly mess it up. So perhaps we can count our blessings that this hasn't happened to either of us (yet).

If at all possible, can you get your rig out to Arizona and thereabouts, where I understand there are experts in what you're looking for, separate from you needing to simultaneously live in your rig for those days? Like maybe drive it out there, and then stay in a motel for the few days they'd need to get your rig worked on? Then pick it up and it's ready to be lived in/ traveled in.
This is what I would do, rather than risk someone in our area undertaking this job without the real experience of having done it many times over and having road-tested their own work.

Best to you, Anhedonic!
FG

I've thought about doing that. In fact, if I could get away for it, I probably should have gone to the Van Build out in AZ that's happening pretty much now. Unfortunately, the drive each way would keep me away for thanksgiving and I have family obligations.

Anhedonic said:
I've thought about doing that. In fact, if I could get away for it, I probably should have gone to the Van Build out in AZ that's happening pretty much now. Unfortunately, the drive each way would keep me away for thanksgiving and I have family obligations.

I can help you design it. I would love to install it for you, but I have never done an install on photovoltaics. I have watched quite a few video installs, but it is not the same. Your best bet is to make your way out to the next van build with design and supplies ready to go. 

I can write a specification with plenty of pictures and give you leads on where to make purchases to complete the system. I want nothing for it except to learn what design tools work best. I have been using mostly Adobe Illustrator and Eagle CAD for electrical and electronic layouts. There is other software that I would like to explore. I have 28 years of industrial electric installation experience on advanced equipment (e-beam evaporator 3PH/70A/208V, icp etcher, 5-axis milling machine, etc.). Because it is just myself and one other guy, we also do the plumbing and pipe fitting for process gases, chilled water, vacuum, and drain. I have learned what hand tools and power tools work best for modifying wood, plastics, and metal. In 1996, I read the National Electric Code book. I should update that because they no longer let you place duplex receptacles above the ceiling line. It used to be, as long as you could access it, it's OK. Anyway, I am currently creating solid models and CNC programs for microfluid-based projects. I just got my Master's in embedded systems, with no immediate plans except to mess with the Ford EEC-IV (engine control module) for my van "Winnie".

Pay nothing. Do nothing except answer questions about what you want. Share the design with others who want it. It's up to you. 

Best regards,

Jeff