Seeking advice on mobile Hotspots and Visible phone service

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coastnalong

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I have Visible phone service and they told me I get one hotspot with their service.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I would like to have the ability to have multiple devices (laptops and tablets) going at the same time. (Probably two laptops or one laptop and one tablet at the same time.)[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]I would appreciate advice on what other people are doing to accomplish my goals. What has worked for you?[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Also I would like to join a Visable party plan if anyone is involved in one.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks in advance for your help.[/font]

They may mean you get to hotspot your phone which would in turn allow you to connect other devices to your hotspot for internet access.
But I'm not familiar with Visible, with my phone/plan I can turn on my hotspot and connect several devices to share internet with.
Also as an FYI, some carriers charge extra to use your phone as a hotspot, something to be mindful of when using, or selecting a service provider.

Thanks for your reply. Visible said they would guarantee the hotspot on my phone would connect to one device. They said some people have claimed they were able to connect to more than one device. I have heard of some people who are using a mobile hotspot are connecting to numerous devices.

Ah, maybe it's a limitation of the phone, which one do you have?
You may get better hotspotting if you get a different phone.

I have a Motorola phone. What kind of phone/plan are you using to be able to use multiple devices?

I have visible. Only one devise per hotspot on a phone. However there is a work around. There’s a device you can purchase on Amazon... like router. It connects to hot spot on phone. The phone sees 1 device. Then you connect from the router. I haven’t used mine yet but I phone the info on YouTube a long time ago. I would search YouTube Visible hoy spot more than one device router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, okay so Visible is limiting it.
I'm on Google Fi currently but will be looking at some alternatives when I head out depending how coverage is looking.
I also have a Motorola phone, I just got the G Power around fathers day on sale.

JeanInaBox said:
I have visible. Only one devise per hotspot on a phone. However there is a work around. There’s a device you can purchase on Amazon... like router. It connects to hot spot on phone. The phone sees 1 device. Then you connect from the router. I haven’t used mine yet but I phone the info on YouTube a long time ago. I would search YouTube Visible hoy spot more than one device router.

Thank you. You have been very helpful for me!

Uncle Todo said:
Ah, okay so Visible is limiting it.
I'm on Google Fi currently but will be looking at some alternatives when I head out depending how coverage is looking.
I also have a Motorola phone, I just got the G Power around fathers day on sale.
I have the same phone as you.

I like it so far, good battery life and camera.
I've had G series phones the past few years, I like the price point with nice performance and features.
It would be cool to have NFC, but I've never had it previously so it's not like I'm missing out on anything.

JeanInaBox said:

Hi all - here is the $20 router I am using with my Visible phone service - it has been working great for me with both my iPhone XR and a ZTE blade A7(?). It works as a wireless repeater by acting as the one device connecting to your visible phone and then presenting another wireless network for all your other devices to connect.

GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TSK26W/

Reactions: Sky
talcon said:
Hi all - here is the $20 router I am using with my Visible phone service - it has been working great for me with both my iPhone XR and a ZTE blade A7(?).  It works as a wireless repeater by acting as the one device connecting to your visible phone and then presenting another wireless network for all your other devices to connect.

GL.iNET GL-MT300N-V2 Wireless Mini Portable Travel Router, Mobile Hotspot in Pocket, WiFi Repeater Bridge, Range Extender, OpenVPN Client, 300Mbps High Performance, 128MB RAM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TSK26W/

Sofisintown said:
Talcon

Thanks for that, I have Visible and just ordered the router.

I mainly liked it because it’s powered via USB which gives you many options. It even has a USB port on it that you can plug your phone into charge so you don’t even need an “extra“ USB port.

Also, if anybody needs help getting it setup with their Apple or android phone, I will give it my best shot. I was a tech weenie in a previous life and I’m happy to give back for all the kindness and help I’ve received.

Reactions: Sky
Do they throttle your data once you hit a certain point or they see high usage?

Mine was as high a 30-something on hotspot data, but now it's back down to 5 Mbps all the time.

Uncle Todo said:
Do they throttle your data once you hit a certain point or they see high usage?

No it is unlimited for a limited time. They will de-prioritize your traffic depending on the tower usage. If you’re paying $25 a month for visible and have consumed a lot of data, it is reasonable for them to prioritize a Verizon paying customer paying $80 a month on the same tower. In areas of high usage, I get around any prime time slowdowns by downloading my shows before hand on Netflix and Prime by using their apps versus the websites.