See anything wrong with these brakes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in a shop I ran once for a courier service. we had a disgruntled mechanic. I had to discipline him, this made him even more disgruntled. so then he did a front brake job on one of our Ford vans. the van went out the next morning and when it came back in the afternoon the driver complained that the van would pull when the brakes were applied. so we pulled it in and pulled the front wheels, one of the rotors looked exactly like that one. we pulled the caliper and the outside pad was installed backward, metal to metal. several things amazed me about this. first the mechanic who installed the pad backward was a competent mechanic but let his anger affect his work. needless to say I fired him. then the driver who drove this van all day. I asked him didn't you notice anything unusual, he said yeah it didn't stop good and made a terrible noise when the brakes were applied. I said well why didn't you come back and say something, he said he thought it was normal, he wasn't an experienced with vehicles. overall a pretty unbelievable situation. highdesertranger

Aren't those the new Indexing brakes? ;) How anybody could let them get to that point is beyond me....

Whole different life when you're poor- they're probably battling multiple issues, none of which they can afford- so i try not to judge.

/ serious

HDR, that's the 'fully metallic pads' option, don't you know, LoL

what are they? an exterior drum brake design? what make/years?

I think its a rotor that has split in two. those are the inner ribbings.

HDR, same here.. When I worked in a tire shop we had a manager that tried to get every last cent he could from something. Tires that had more metal showing then rubber, rotors actually worse then that one (I'm talking not even much of the ribs left). so much duck tape on lines and hoses that they were twice as thick in some spots. And you know that old just to make it some where trick with panty hose instead of a belt. I s**t you not, he found a way to weave a couple of his wifes pair around his belts to extend them because they were so glazed over and a couple splits almost all the way through, and they were like that for 4 months before he bought new ones!

bardo said:
I think its a rotor that has split in two. those are the inner ribbings.

Yes, rotor was worn so badly from no friction on pads it ground thru the outer part.
You see this somewhat often ...

Just google ' vented brake rotor' and you'll understand what's missing

ahh,ok,thought i was looking at some type of weird braking system

i have seen rotors eaten up but nothing like that,so the grinding wasnt enough had to go till pieces of metal flying off before they realized something was wrong

The C Van had had something like that occur- before i got it.
Hub cap, tire and wheel well are covered, and i mean covered, in iron-

Problem is automatic transmissions- people don't downshift anymore and vehicle always wants to move when you don't want it to.

With manual,, seldom use brakes. Factory friction actually rusted underneath and broke bonding agent, otherwise theyd be good for life