Power Brake Hydro Boost Unit leaking...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

that420vanchick

Only 9 more states to go!
Reaction score
The Power Brake Hydro Boost Unit is dead on my 94 Chevy G20 van and I'm having difficulties locating a part... Suggestions?

Here is a link to a source. Not sure why it says down for maintenance, the link works fine.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/find/1994-chevrolet-g20-power-brake-booster.c6178
If you were using the word “hydro”in your keyword search that would be why you are failing to get returns for the parts you need. The correct search term to use is “hydraulic”.

Go ahead and try searching again with that new keyword, you will find sources this next time.

Last edited:
try Rock auto.com
Rock Auto is okay but it can be a hassle if you need to return something. I'd much rather deal with national chains with stores available all over the country for that reason. NAPA, O'Reilly, Autozone mostly. Some things are bought on Amazon also because of their no prob return policy.

Last edited:
The Power Brake Hydro Boost Unit is dead on my 94 Chevy G20 van and I'm having difficulties locating a part... Suggestions?
Are you referring to the pie-pan sized booster aft of the master-cylinder?
It bolts to the fire-wall?
That part is used on several types of General Motors vehicles... my search shows pretty much all the parts-houses carry multiple versions.
An aside:
I think your choice of rig shows long-term resilience.
Except for rust, your van should be going strong for most of the rest of your life.
We had its little brother, a (1984?) Chevrolet Astro van, and traveled through Central America.
I would be pretty sure your brake booster would inter-change with an Astro of suitable vintage.
And possibly a pick-up truck.

Are you referring to the pie-pan sized booster aft of the master-cylinder?
It bolts to the fire-wall?
That part is used on several types of General Motors vehicles... my search shows pretty much all the parts-houses carry multiple versions.
An aside:
I think your choice of rig shows long-term resilience.
Except for rust, your van should be going strong for most of the rest of your life.
We had its little brother, a (1984?) Chevrolet Astro van, and traveled through Central America.
I would be pretty sure your brake booster would inter-change with an Astro of suitable vintage.
And possibly a pick-up truck.
We found the part!! It was $250 and the tech was a little upset because he wanted to find something cheaper but better quality. He's pretty certain this one will hold out. With that age vehicle it's been challenging finding specialty parts. It took 3 weeks to get the window motors to come in but when I get her back I will finally be able to roll them up and down and I am stoked!

Oh I love her! She's a tank. Found her at a pawn shop in Colorado about 2 years ago straight out of a repo garage that it'd been sitting in for 15 years. Looked brand new except for the 1/4 in of dust inside. Spent $3k on the van, another $4k in immediate repairs (all the rubber, gas tank, fuel and brake lines) drove across country & back 4 times with no issue. AC works perfectly, all the bells and whistles in line. I'm so pleased.

Wrapping up another round of repairs now. 2nd visit to the shop this summer that'll have totaled around $5k. All the top end engine gaskets, water pump, tune up, full exhaust, random suspension parts, vacuum lines, window motors, turn signal/wiper switch, chunky all weather tires, calipers and this booster unit. All in all I'm happy AF! I plan to keep improving it so that when my 13 year old turns 16 he can have it and it can be in a condition where all he'd have to do is fill her with water and go hide in the woods for at least a week if he ever got the urge to. Next step, interior build. I've been living in it just fine the way it is but I'm very low maintenance. I want to put a better toilet and sink in there than what I have in the bed that folds and comes in and out with ease so if I wanted to or he wanted to down the road the whole futon and we could sleep under the stars.

My partner is planning on building me a gypsy wagon I can tow with a truck down the road once I hand the van off to my son. He was inspired by a Craigslist post selling the one in the image for $6k. I travel with two dogs, one of them I just rescued in April and she's already 90 lb so I'm definitely going to need a bigger rig LOL

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026_084558.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026_084558.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 0
I started building trailers and campers years ago. You will be hard pressed to find a better more complete resource than tnttt.com. for affordable construction methods and ideas.

I started building trailers and campers years ago. You will be hard pressed to find a better more complete resource than tnttt.com. for affordable construction methods and ideas.
Well noted and thank you!!! I'm excited to dive into this once the van build is through!!

^Whoa. Very nice! What's the weight?

Last edited: